HOMECLUBS | SPONSORS | FEATURESPHOTO GALLERYTTF DONORS | SHOP FOR GEAR

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

Collision Course: Why This Type Of Road Junction Will Keep K

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
daddy-o

1/12/18 8:24 AM

Collision Course: Why This Type Of Road Junction Will Keep K

http://singletrackworld.com/2018/01/collision-course-why-this-type-of-road-junction-will-keep-killing-cyclists/

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

Jesus Saves

1/12/18 11:10 AM

The Pillar Shadow..blindspot.. Vauxhall Zafira?

Hmmm. Is the problem that Brexiters drive on the wrong side of the road? ;-) Or is that an exceptional case as don't most of their roads have roundabouts (traffic circles), A Good Thing?

Reply to topic    

Brian Nystrom

1/12/18 2:21 PM

While this is certainly interesting...

...and it may explain a lot of car-bike conflicts on the road. It ignores the simplest safety measure. I always watch cars approaching intersections when I'm doing the same and make sure that I either get through in advance with room to spare or cross behind them. I never assume that a motorist is going to the right/legal/smart/courteous thing. That's probably why I've never been hit at an intersection.

Although it's somewhat controversial, I rarely wait at red lights at intersections if there is no cross traffic coming. The intersection is the most dangerous place to be and if I can get through it safely and get up the road where the only drivers I have to be concerned about are approaching from the rear - where they can readily see me - I figure I'm safer. It's worked for 40+ years, so although I'm legally wrong (in NH) I'm apparently not incorrect.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

1/12/18 4:19 PM

"That's probably why I've never been hit at an intersection. "

As a motorcyclist from before I legally should have been driving on the road, early adaptation of road situational awareness and road surface have followed my driving 'techniques' all my life.

I will say it again as I have a ton of times as a result of the above. Intersections are of the highest probability factor of incident. Therefore, if one can not avoid them altogether, a total defensive state of operation while traversing is the order of my day.

Side note: Elaine does not go down the 4 mile stretch of the road from our area to the site of the accident ever anymore. She instead takes a slower route that actually has her take a right from where the red light got blown causing said accident onto said road there.

I am waiting for her to get a rear end tag as I am sure her ambivalence getting onto it is higher and slower in progress than anyone behind here there. At least this would be a low speed encounter VS the last one.

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -