HOMECLUBS | SPONSORS | FEATURESPHOTO GALLERYTTF DONORS | SHOP FOR GEAR

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

Need a little 'legal' direction.

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
Sparky

12/28/17 3:37 PM

Need a little 'legal' direction.

How do I get a lawyer that is not a personal injury person for Elaine's accident. I feel the need as she had some pain opposite side to previous recent hip stuff that was not going away which resulted in a steroid shot for bursitis from the accident.

So excuse the term, a non ambulance chasing attorney desired. Not liking the forms/paperwork the INS co is sending for us to fill out and send up to them.

And I mean the INS co of the guy who was at fault. They already tried to talk Elaine into a 700.00 check for pain and suffering. Before they knew of the steroid shot that got miss billed. Long term concerns are at issue. Releasing them from any if it prematurely is strictly out.

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

daddy-o

12/28/17 4:43 PM

You need advice, not representation.

(I'm just defining the problem as I see it. Maybe it will help on the phone with an appointment. Let's see, not quite 3:00 on the last Thursday of the year: time to call! 🤴 )
(And I'm with you about 'chasers.' My daughter thought "missed work" sounded good until I reminded her the lawyer wasn't giving her a raise, he was taking half.)

dan emery

12/29/17 6:12 AM

not a PI lawyer?

Greg can likely answer better, but I would say you should talk to a personal injury lawyer - there are plenty of good ones. Ask around or you may be able to get a referral through a local or state bar assn. It may be premature for a lawyer to get involved directly but perhaps one can at least give you pointers in dealing with the ins co.

Reply to topic    

lrzipris

12/29/17 9:13 AM

I agree with Dan--you need a PI lawyer, someone familiar with that area of the law. We're not all ambulance chasers.

Referrals from bar associations aren't always the greatest, as they are often generated from lists of lawyers who simply register--at least, that's how it works around here.

Personal contacts, based on knowledge of a lawyer's real reputation, can mean so much more. But be wary of the recommendation based on the lawyer's work in another area: i.e., "he did a great job on my will."

You might do well to ask your cycling friends who have had accidents.

Reply to topic    

greglepore

12/29/17 12:57 PM

The firm I consult with now just joined Bob Mionskie's Bike Law network, It doesn't appear there's anyone in Washington now, but Mionskie is in Oregon, you could call him and see if he has a contact. Its a network of attorneys that are actual cyclists or cycling advocates as opposed to guys who just put "cycling" on their webpage for seo purposes.

If you want/need compensation for the injury, you need a pi attorney. Make it clear up front that you're not seeking to "build" a case. Most cycling oriented attorney's are used to their clients getting well too fast for their own financial good :). But honestly, you can't have it both ways. Injury attorneys don't charge for their time, sort out the medical payments and pd. issues, and take a fee out of the recovery.

Feel free to email me glepore123 using the mail service that the largest search engine sponsors and I'll shoot you my phone # if you want to run the issues by me.

lrzipris

12/29/17 1:19 PM

I don't think Elaine's accident was cycling-related--she was t-boned in her car, no? So what I wrote about asking cycling friends might have been misleading. What I meant to suggest is ask friends who have hired lawyers to pursue their pi claims for referrals.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

12/29/17 2:02 PM

No, I got it Ip. More opinion of skills and demeanor. But maybe for PI, 'de meaner' the better?

Sparky

1/4/18 2:03 PM

Consulted with a highly recommended lawyer. We have two years to act as necessary, and were right to not cash the mailed check, or return their RFIs.

dddd

1/6/18 12:26 AM

Although bursitis is easily aggravated by overuse or any kind of trauma (not to mention myriad other causes), I don't think that it can be considered to be a chronic injury in itself.
Bursae readily heal and/or replace themselves, even if removed completely.
As bursitis is an inflammatory condition, things like blood chemistry and immune response are often implicated in the envelope-like bursae becoming overly inflated with fluid.
Bursae can be irritated by mechanical means if something like a roughened bone surface were to be present. As such, bursitis correlates strongly with certain other arthritic conditions.
I still take a small (2-3mg) daily prednisone dosage for recurrent bursitis resulting from auto-immune polymyalgia that started and peaked about four years ago, but at such low dosage prednisone offers the additional benefits of reduced muscle stiffness/soreness after exercise and near-"immunity" from severe seasonal/regional allergies. This is a miracle drug for people who are older that 50, even pets are often prescribed these sort of dosages that are still small enough to leave the adrenals in charge of regulating the body's cortisol level.
When inflammatory conditions like bursitis are highly localized, steroid injections are often used instead of the pill form so that a smaller total dose might be effective.
I would bet that Elaine already knows all of this(?).
Decades ago, when I persisted in seeing a doctor for a fairly mild shoulder injury that I sustained from a side-impact collision while driving my truck in CT, it seemed like a fair settlement for the considerable damage to my new truck came very quickly.

Reply to topic    

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -