HOMECLUBS | SPONSORS | FEATURESPHOTO GALLERYTTF DONORS | SHOP FOR GEAR

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

TrainerRoad ?

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
Sparky

12/29/17 4:14 PM

TrainerRoad ?

Now that outside is sporadic at best, CT time.

I was looking on ErgVid site, and when I got to how many Vids to buy in a training regime, I did an about face.

So some googling and I got to Trainerroad. For 12.00/Mo, I started up to check it out. It all worked first shot, always a good thing, and on a few 'last lat tops too. I test rode an FTP test just to get a feel late yesterday, and quit. Was not warmed up enough for it, and it was late [noise]. So today I warmed up and did it again. I shoulda warmed up longer. ;)

It gives a target Watts for parts of FTP test. When it got over 300, I had no control over output thus had to hold way over to keep from dipping under. Guess it means I need it. ;)

Anyway, comments on experience with it appreciated. I just want to do something more structured so when the rain stops I can hit the pave spinning better than my normal CT winter use. Which I tend to use to 'loose less' rather than 'build' these last few years braving outside riding under 40^. With rain a hard thing to motivate myself to do...

Seeking endurance more than power/speed anymore. Yep, I said it...

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

dfcas

12/29/17 5:28 PM

Trainer road has lots of enthusiasts who think it may be the best structured training program out there but tough to follow because of the lack of interesting graphics. Lots of people ride zwift video while doing a trainerroad workout, but that's 2 subscriptions.

Trainer road probably focus on power /speed but there are those that argue the key to endurance is increasing your threshold and then riding below it.

Sparky

12/29/17 6:14 PM

"tough to follow because of the lack of interesting graphics."

Non issue for me, in Erg Vid I only look at the profile and overlay Stats. TrainerRoad shows CT info pretty similarly. Just not max and average, only current. But you don't really need that during ride anyway. Just look at the saved ride after.

The 40" TV above the PC gets most my attention. Usually has a VID playing out the HDMI on the same PC of motorcycle routs with a helmet GoPro. My fav one has very good music track with the VID, audio goes though a SUb and Sat speakers.

When I get bored of that I just play mp3s and have other VIDs I mute with nice scenery. A long fav is a MC going up 101 in CA past Big Sur that is pretty long. If short I just loop them.

The TrainerRoad has less Steps once it is loaded, but the login seems slow.

sanrensho

12/30/17 12:26 AM

I prefer the one-time fee of PerfPro over subscription-based TrainerRoad. Both are admirably solid platforms that just work every time.

Sufferfest is occasionally flaky but I do enjoy the race footage and synced music. Try it, there's a free trial.

Reply to topic    

daddy-o

12/30/17 3:14 PM

Has anyone noticed 'Peloton' studio sponsors NPR these days? It's nice knowing there's enough of a market for the services. They're multiplying, the TV advertising, good for the sport and a barometer.

Rickk

12/31/17 8:13 AM

Disclaimer: I don't have experince with TR.

Zwift also has a "training" platform of workouts, although much much smaller selection - compared to TR.
Many of the strong cyclists around here use Zwift, for structured workouts or for online racing - although the real hard core racers here either have their own private coach workouts or TR.
....Careful with all the freak, virtual, digital dopers though lol....

Personally, at my age, as non racer, Zwift is enough for me, with thd added in free BigRingVR (soon to be subscription-based).
I agree with sanrensho re preferring a pay once (Perfpro) style. Plus it has pretty good reviews.

Whatever you choose - it'll help get you pedalling more. That's what counts in the big picture.

Happy new year and lots of healthy, safe, cycling workouts and rides to you and all Cyclingforum members!

Reply to topic    

Sparky

1/1/18 12:35 PM

Anyone here using the Kicker or similar.

For that matter, the Velotron? That is 10x the CT price point. But at least the company is still viable and produces and sell CT parts too.

For the CT users, have you got the recalled flywheels for your CTs? They sent me two forged steel flywheels to replace the orig cast zinc ones.

Apparently some macho men had them exploding at 35+ sprints...

Last edited by Sparky on 1/1/18 2:14 PM; edited 1 time in total

greglepore

1/1/18 2:11 PM

I gave away a CT, now on a kickr. Love it.

Check out Veloreality...high quality vids, not erg mode. You can do your interval work just like you do outside.

I like ergvideo, but I don't buy a bunch, I have around 5 and play with the workout builder, that's plenty.

TR is great if you like a whole bunch of different stuff. Me, I like LT, VO2 max and AT stuff, and can structure my own.

Ping me via email for some coming soon stuff I can't talk about online yet.

dfcas

1/1/18 3:26 PM

I'm on a Tacx Neo Smart. A deal came up locally on it or I never would have bought such an expensive trainer. After having it, I must say it's probably worth the money. I wish I had more watts to warm it up with.

dan emery

1/1/18 4:02 PM

Don't fight it

This morning it was sunny, if below 0, so I went out on snowshoes for a bit which is better than a trainer, smart or dumb. My bindings are falling apart so I found a design I liked better, drove up to Bean's and gave myself a delayed Christmas present of some MSR REVO Explores. Nice.

Reply to topic    

Brian Nystrom

1/2/18 6:29 AM

Neo Smart questions

I'm leaning heavily toward getting a Neo Smart.
- Did you have to buy a separate ANT+ antenna to use it with a PC?
- Does it still come with a discount on the antenna/software/controller package?
- What do you think of the Road Surface Simulation?
- Any interesting observations from using it?

I've also looked at the Neo Track accessory for it, but it appears that it only works with their software, so it doesn't seem worth the price.

Reply to topic    

dfcas

1/2/18 7:48 AM

- Did you have to buy a separate ANT+ antenna to use it with a PC?
- Does it still come with a discount on the antenna/software/controller package?
- What do you think of the Road Surface Simulation?
- Any interesting observations from using it?

Mine was supplied with an Ant + thingie but I use bluetooth on an iPad so I can't comment on it.

Mine included a software upgrade discount for TTS4 for PC I did not use as I don't own a laptop

Road simulation is at once cool and totally useless. I have it turned off.

Tacx is in the process of rolling out a subscription based training system for it called the tacx Desktop App for Win 10 but also will have an Android and IOS and Apple OS version . They seem to be going away from the TTS4.

I "own" about 15 videos for iPad that cost $11 each and have no subscription fees.

If you need/want the quietest then a neo Smart wins. If you don't need quiet I would probably buy a Kickr or Drivo or Cyclops Magnum? I think all are good.

We also have a Bushido Smart I started with and I had quite a few videos, so I was in the system when a deal on this neo came along.

Rickk

1/2/18 10:20 AM

Wahoo, Tacx, Elite, Cycleops... etc. ridden, reviewed, tested, ranked - as per these 2 guys:

https://gplama.blogspot.ca/p/indoor-trainer-guide-gplama.html?m=1

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.dcrainmaker.com/2017/10/annual-trainer-recommendations.html/amp

Reply to topic    

Rickk

1/2/18 10:24 AM

DCR's opinion of various home trainer software apps.
2016/17 version
Ymmv
https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.dcrainmaker.com/2016/11/trainer-apps-guide.html/amp

Is your head (if not your legs) spinning yet?
;)

Reply to topic    

Brian Nystrom

1/2/18 12:12 PM

Yeah, pretty much

I've been all over DCR's site and several others, obsessively reading about these things. I'm going to relax and watch for sales.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

1/2/18 12:32 PM

My x2 CT stash ought to keep me covered until I croak I am guessing... Well spent $1k from someone who's wife said get them outta here.

Full 1.5" solid ply platforms, gas pipe mounts, cycops rubber covers, yada. I don't even use those anymore. Just a piece of horse mat, they don't move.

Highly recommend the horse mat for trainers FWIW. Local farm stores should have it... A couple feet of 24" wide pig mat probably work as well. They can but you 4-5ft off the roll I am guessing... The horse mat great for concrete padding for a multitude of forever use.

henoch

1/2/18 12:49 PM

Cycleops Hammer

I believe that Cycleops is having a trade in sale, fro what I understand trade in any trainer for 20% off.
So if you have an old junky trainer lying around you can get something like $230 off a Hammer, I'd say that's a pretty good deal right there.
From what I understand it works at your LBS, so you can get that new trainer right away and use it during this Arctic freeze.

Reply to topic    

henoch

1/2/18 12:50 PM

Here are the details.
Good for the next 2 weeks
https://www.cycleops.com/dealer-locator/trainertradein?utm_campaign=UpgradeToSmart17&utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=adwords&gclid=CMvp2sr64NICFdFefgodxL0F5A

Reply to topic    

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -