CYCLINGFORUM.COM - Where Cyclists Talk Tech --- Return To Home

Register FAQ'sSearchProfileLog In / Log Out

cyclingforum.com ****

HOMECLUBS | SPONSORS | FEATURESPHOTO GALLERYTTF DONORS | SHOP FOR GEAR

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

Left Trek Store without the 50% off Domane.
 Goto page 1, 2  Next

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
Sparky

12/16/17 12:52 PM

Left Trek Store without the 50% off Domane.

$12,000.00 2017 SLR 10 Race Shop Limited Domane for $6k. The one [frameset/geometry] I really wanted in the first place.

Plan was to sell off the ample unused chi chi parts and only keep a US made Race Shop Limited frame with a lifetime Trek warranty. Then sell of my Series 6 Domane, yada.

We change the seat mast cap and stem, make some adjustments. I ride it fit was great on the 60CM. The fit definitely more aggressive than I am on my Endurance Domane. The steering more neutral than the calmer endurance front end response, my best hopes come true? ;)

About to pay for it and see the Assembled in US sticker on the downtube. WTF, where is the Made USA that should be plastered all over it. Guy helping me calls Trek rep, he has no idea or comment that was useful.

It is starting to possibly look like the 2016 700 Series are US made at this point. They are calling someone up higher in the Trek chain of command than the rep to see what the staff of the Trek Store thinks/seems is obvious.

So did Trek get all that made in US press out there for the 700 Series with the intent of moving that production with the rest of it to Taiwan? Will they do the same to the supposedly made in US Emonda as well. My bet is on probably.

I will update when they call me back with answers. The US think was important to me obviously enough. Guess I gotta stick with Carl.

So much for my x-mas present. I am annoyed to the point I may put [at least a few week] moratorium on my perpetual shopping. ;)

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

April

12/16/17 1:07 PM

quote:
The US think was important to me obviously enough.

Have you been to China?

I know you haven't. But at least you heard on the news about the air pollution in China. What you don't hear are the other pollution: water, soil...

Why do Trek move its manufacturing facility to Asia? Is carbon fiber very labor intensive? If not, why move it?

Sparky

12/16/17 1:19 PM

I know, and good point no doubt. But it was just a strong point for me personally.

So with respect I have to say anyone other position on it is moot for me. Thus the personal part. ;)

Just a bye-gone era this old fart unrealistically wants to hold on ultimately.

Last edited by Sparky on 12/16/17 1:21 PM; edited 1 time in total

April

12/16/17 1:21 PM

Question is, any other carbon bike makers still manufacturing in the US?

Sparky

12/16/17 1:51 PM

I think a few, like Carl Strong's new side partnership are in play. But $5k frame & Parlee type stuff on my fixed budget....

I will just stick with my current stuff and stop pissing and moaning... maybe. ;)

"Have you been to China? I know you haven't. "

A friend got married last year and she being from China just got back from visiting the new in-laws on her side of the tree. Envy on our part for that trip, but we are working on a UK and Scotland trip for out 40th. Elaine being from the UK and all.

Last edited by Sparky on 12/16/17 2:12 PM; edited 2 times in total

dan emery

12/16/17 1:53 PM

Mine is assembled too

I don't remember ever thinking the frame was made in the US. But I really didn't pay any attention to that issue.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

12/16/17 1:55 PM

Well, I guess you can't always get what you want.

But if you try sometimes...

April

12/16/17 2:47 PM

I thought the same as Dan. Trek isn't particularly known for "Made in USA". I think Cannondale more known for that.

Though I thought the Trek high end frames used to be made in the US. I still have one of their US made frame (OCLV). It's just they don't make a big fuss about it. Probably because they knew all along they will shift their production around as they see fit.

Steve B.

12/16/17 4:06 PM

Cannondale hasn't manufactured frames in the US since 2010. All their frames are made in Taiwan or China.

Trek was the ONLY major (large volume) manufacturer still making carbon frames in the US. Specialized has been in China for a while as well as the others like Raleigh, etc... who are US branded makes. There are other smaller manufacturers.

Carbon frame manufacture is reasonably labor intensive.

There are tons of videos on You Tube, here's one from Trek. Maybe an OLD video !.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tT4yS5wTkY0

Reply to topic    

Sparky

12/16/17 4:32 PM

My 2008 Scott Addict LTD had a +$10k MSRP new. I got it used 4 years old for 550.00, (frameset) from a sponsored racer, MSRP was $ 7k frameset new.

I was surprised to see made in Taiwan sticker on it. Made to Scott spec in the Giant factory.

But I figured (wrongly) I could still hope. ;)

greglepore

12/16/17 7:40 PM

With the exception of a few very top tier Madones, all of Trek's manufacturing is done in Taiwan. Very few domestic cf manufacturers left, all custom except for Parlee, which is sort of custom.

I understand your feelings, but really the product is as good if not better, and you're supporting Taiwan, not China, if that matters politically.

I know if they made that darn frame in a 51 I'd be all over it .

Sparky

12/16/17 9:12 PM

I kinda did not like the Segafredo Theme all that much in person. On a side note, I liked the side pics I'd seen of it. ;)

Tom Price

12/16/17 9:31 PM

Sparky, You forgot about Allied Cycle Works. They bought out a Canadian company and relocated their carbon manufacturing equipment to the US.

https://alliedcycleworks.com/lifting-the-curtain-on-carbon-fiber-bicycle-manufacturing-made-in-the-usa/

https://alliedcycleworks.com/a-letter-from-our-founder/

Craig

12/17/17 7:34 PM

Allied looks really great. Full build with Ultegra Di2 8050 and decent parts throughout is listing on their web page at $5841. 16.28lbs. Handmade in the USA. Compared to the Parlee Altum Asia made Ultegra Di2 bike for $400 more and more than a pound heavier, seems like a deal.

No, it's not Dura Ace, and the Trek shaves off even another pound over the Allied, but it's made in America and meets your sub $6000 expected expenditure and Ultegra is pretty much everything DuraAce is for all intents and purposes. Or, DuraAce mechanical is exactly the same price as Ultegra Di2 8050.

I hadn't paid much attention to Allied. Huh... if only I needed or wanted another bike.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

12/17/17 8:51 PM

"it's made in America and meets your"

I noticed Allied is using BSA BB Spec.

Nah, I am done. Besides, unlike Dan the Macho man, I'd have looked even more like a poser on the Segafredo bike than I do on my existing inventory. ;)

I put some new bits on the Series 6 Domane and pedaled off 30+ miles of frustration today with the balmy 45^, sunny-ish skys. [before the sun begun parting and temps dropped like a stone]

Just as I got finished, all zippers all the way up!. Actually got my clothes/layers spot on. Zipper polo first 3/4, and zipped tight last 25%.

Been like 2-3 weeks since I rode outside, and I was overdue!

GregLepore, have a look at this eBay frameset. For comparison I got my 6 Series by offering 800.00 for a 1300.00 asking. I said to the seller now that the front and rear ISOs frames/bikes are out these may not sell to fast, and he agreed.

Mine came with seatmast cap, BLE/ANT duo trap, WB cages, and two set of bearings. FWIW.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2015-Trek-Domane-6-9-C-Size-51-cm-INV-12420/282770532605?hash=item41d66fe8fd:g:wg4AAOSwB3BaMD-d

greglepore

12/18/17 8:07 AM

Thanks for the link. I really want the rsl geometry - but its only sized down to 54. The higher headtube on the standard Domane, meh. I can get trek university pricing, so I could have a 6.9 done p1 in the T/S scheme, but its the racy geometry I'm after.

Sparky

12/18/17 9:55 AM

"but its the racy geometry I'm after."

Isn't that link an H1 Project one [or classics Edition maybe]? That should have the RSL up front anyway [IIRC] geom if so. Maybe I just thought it was due to the small frame size and HT length overall [underall?] ;) Ask the seller the head tube length and compare to the chart

I don't know how racy RSL really is, compared even to a H2 Madone. The test ride did feel more neutral on the 60 than my 58 Endurance.
The RSL wheelbase is pretty stretched out, and the HTA is about 1/2 way between for example a Madone and the Endurance Geom. Most notable the 5.1CM trail spec. That was kinda what I was after myself. I have to admit the 104CM wheelbase on the 60CM also caused me curiosity.

I will put this here for completeness:

The 60 Endurance headtube is nosebleed territory, which is why I have a 58 Domane, but a 60 Madone. On the 58 I am using the 25mm setback mastcap and a 12CM stem with 78mm reach bars and just have my same setback and reach.

The 60 RSL I'd have needed the 5mm mastcap and shorter reach bars and stem. Really in-between sizes but have learned with the Roubaix, the longer CStays and WB is what allows a 58 to work for my normally 60 self. But also age and bar drop also is closing the gap frankly for me. Last 4-5 years I have put on a lot of shorter stems, zero offset posts, and shorter reach bars that are higher than the 4" drop of 10+ years ago for me.

dfcas

12/18/17 11:51 AM

Is this one even more aggressive? No front ISO?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2015-Trek-Domane-RSL-Koppenberg-Edition-60cm-H1-full-DuraAce-Di2-C24s-Viper-Red/322932954754?hash=item4b304dd682:g:jz8AAOSwbF1aLVPC

Sparky

12/18/17 12:38 PM

If I am remembering correctly, the Koppenberg is the most aggressive. The Geom is a Emonda H1 including non extended wheelbase.

I keep my eyes out for a Classics Edition Domane. The RSL predecessor. Longer WB & TT and shorter/lower HT. Like the Trek Team bike used in the classics 2012-13 IIRC.

Sparky

12/18/17 12:57 PM

OK, Trek Store Manager just called me back with the 10/4.

EDITED DELETED: SEE NEXT MESSAGE re:Trek Phone call..

Last edited by Sparky on 12/18/17 2:33 PM; edited 2 times in total

dan emery

12/18/17 1:28 PM

racy is relative

The RSL is racy compared to endurance bikes, which are not racy. It is not racy compared to road bikes. I'd say the raciest thing is the low handlebar height, but even there with the spacers I have the same position as on my Sachs. And the Sachs handles quicker. The RSL is made for cobbles, not crits.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

12/18/17 1:38 PM

"even there with the spacers I have"

I, as a reversal of all things thought previously, figure spacers = flex = compliance to some degree. Well, flex over race look vanity perhaps.

I now have those TranzX stems on the Madone and the Domane. More noticeable difference on the AL steer tube Madone that has a 1CM spacer under the stem [H2]. But I have said all that before. Madone/Series 4, Domane/Series 6 in my case.

And the TUX bars on the Domane, being the last runner up in a carbon stiffness test.

Domane also fits a 28mm GP4 on the front which sit out 31mm on my Pacentis. If I need more cushy I should probably just stay home on the couch.

I wonder if I will ever leave well enough alone.. As he hears "To much Time on My Hands" as an ear worm in his head...

On a related note: in reviews I have read. Both the new Roubaix Spring loaded stem and the Front ISO Domane can be disconcerting when encountering a bump during out of saddle efforts.

Sparky

12/18/17 2:06 PM

And for Greg again:

$1500.00 off 50CM SLR Emonda Race Shop Frame. 700 Series OCLV

>Head tube on the 50CM is 10CM. ;)

https://www.bikegallery.com/product/trek-emonda-slr-race-shop-limited-frameset-277668-1.htm

Sparky

12/18/17 2:31 PM

OMG, for Pete's sake he called me back.

Apparently the guy he spoke to before on the first call told his boss the conversation and his boss emails my guy back.

I am deleting the previous comment to not post mis-information, my God! Maybe I should say conflicting information, how the fuck can I tell is this latest is not mis-information. ;)

He is now saying after his email from Todd Vandenberg, the frame in question here 'Domane SLR 10 Race Shop Limited' IS MADE IN WI[sconsin]

Then he said Koppenbergs are Taiwan 600 series. he sez now.

But Todd won't allow the Shop manager show me the COC certificate to prove it. I assume the COC [certificate of conformance] states Country of origin. But will give me the eMail and put it on my receipt.

I gotta say this shop is attentive to the extreme. Follow up impressive even.

Where is my Excedrin?

dddd

12/20/17 12:04 AM

Interesting subject, and frankly I wasn't sure that anyone was going to follow up on such a touchy subject.
I did want to mention that Calfee still makes frames here in California, I've seen a few riders on new ones over recent months and they have quite a history making carbon frames as well as a great reputation for quality.

Reply to topic    

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -