Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

hoo-ah! FF 57 just dropped :-)

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
walter

11/14/17 3:11 PM

hoo-ah! FF 57 just dropped :-)

much-much faster, much-much needed.

broke most of my plugins, but i'm OK with that. after a couple tweaks to the UI -- moved tabs to bottom of menu and changed color of inactive tabs, i'm good to go.

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

Sparky

11/14/17 5:56 PM

Glad to hear that, I've been using Chrome some FF has been lagging so badly.

Brian Nystrom

11/15/17 6:30 AM

I upgraded to it yesterday, too

Most of my add-ons still work and I can live with the minor UI changes. The key for me is that it still allows a top menu, which is the one thing that drives me nuts about Chrome.

Reply to topic    

daddy-o

11/15/17 9:45 AM

Going to be interesting to see how well their memory management works. Before, you had to close it to release the memory.

So far it passes two tests that made me use Chrome and Vivaldi, YouTube and a certain music site, Freegal.

It would be great to never need to use Chrome.

Firefox and Duck Duck Go, less intrusive.

Nice to see bookmark tags getting some new prominence. I hardly classify bookmarks anymore, just use tags and hit enter.

Sparky

11/15/17 9:59 AM

My FTP manager add-in was one that stopped, and the author is pushing Waterfox for the immediate fix.

Any comments on Waterfox?

daddy-o

11/15/17 11:06 AM

Why not use the native one?

Sparky

11/15/17 11:58 AM

The add in app saves a lot of work as far as updating and publishing to my site. The native ftp is just folder level viewing or [right click 'save as'] DownLoading. Does FF native FTP actually have upload provision, the earlier version sure did not when I explored it.

Steve B.

11/15/17 4:12 PM

Yes !

Thanks for the update news. I was a long time FF user, dropped it when it got bogged down.

Will see how well it sync's with mobile versions

Reply to topic    

greglepore

11/16/17 9:04 AM

Thanks for the heads up. Much improved except the way they'v e reorganized the bookmarks.

daddy-o

11/16/17 9:04 AM

FTP you might like this

The waterfox recommendation leads me to believe I'd been using the same add-in as you for so long I'd forgotten it wasn't native.

Just for grins, I opened a vanilla Windows File Explorer (WinKey+E) and entered ftp://TheFTPAddress in the address bar.

Credentials prompt, voila, drag and drop FTP - thanks Microsoft.

YMMV, but it worked this time. The proof? Happy Halloween!!! (small photo)

Jesus Saves

11/16/17 12:32 PM

I have been using Windows Explorer for years and exclusively so as it does the job well enough to not bother using other pc specific ftp software.

Reply to topic    

Steve B.

11/20/17 7:30 PM

OK, so a couple of days of use.

In Win10, it’s as good if not better then Chrome. I finally got used to the left panel bookmarks tab.

On iOS it’s not so great, but then neither is Chrome. Safari is actually easier to use on a mobile device, but since Apple pulled support for Safari in Windows, nothing syncs so Safari desktop is useless.

Oh well. Firefox really, really needs to do a better interface in iOS. A Bookmark toolbar for starters.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

11/20/17 8:04 PM

"Windows Explorer "

Stopped using iExplorer so long ago I can't even remember why anymore. ;)

daddy-o

11/21/17 8:01 AM

When I need to research Microsoft, like TechNet, I figure IE is the way to go.

So there was a big Windows update this month. Except for Windows asking me what program to use when I double click some different files, no irritations.

As for Firefox, moving the refresh button to the left side to better match Chrome is worth how well it now handles content. Its memory management is better than it was, some is released when you close a tab but it still takes exiting Firefox to release most of it. To see what I mean, open the Task Manager with CTRL+Shift+Esc (all three at once,) and go to the Performance tab to see the Memory graph. Then open a couple of real hogs like CyclingNews, AllMusic, and then click on some "social" advertisements at your own risk 😲. Keep an eye on your memory and disk use. Before FFX-57 closing a tab hardly did anything until you actually exited every open FFX browser. Now closing tabs helps, but it still takes closing it to fully recover, and it can be gigabytes of RAM. Also, when you close it watch disk activity go ballistic.

One thing I like about Firefox vs Chrome is the private / incognito browsing. In Firefox the private browsers are independent. For instance, you can be logged onto multiple Gmail or Amazon accounts. In Chrome for me opening a second incognito session just reuses the credentials for the first incognito Google account. It's nice when someone borrows your computer. I try to never open Amazon in a non-private browser because of the directed ads.

greglepore

11/21/17 12:36 PM

Maybe I'm dumb, but I need to go thru three pages of stuff now to get to my actual bookmarks, including the folders. I used to be available immediately.

Sparky

11/21/17 1:08 PM

GP, try using the bookmarks toolbar. I have un-named Icons in a row for what I use. [yellow boxed for illustration purposes] [ignore typos in the screen capture ;)

Including a folder for $$ and a folder for misc stuff that are always just above the view able browser area. Unnamed items allows them to stack tight next to each other. Folders I use the $, *, etc so I know what is in those.

Most the icon pick up from the prospective web-site, the ones that don't I use the most and know their order.

Sparky

11/21/17 1:19 PM

Another screen cap example. That left folder on the 'bookmarks toolbar' is my misc bookmarks. If the toolbar is active a mouse over / hover opens it like a drop down.
If not active when you click on the 'folder' in the 'bookmarks toolbar' it makes it active and the list drops down.

daddy-o

11/21/17 1:35 PM

Bookmarks:
CTRL+Shift+B

A couple of other:
Strike the alt key to see the familiar Windows toolbar
Strike Alt+B to get the good old Bookmarks Drop-Down menu
and what Brian said.

Last edited by daddy-o on 11/23/17 6:27 AM; edited 3 times in total

Brian Nystrom

11/21/17 1:38 PM

A simpler approach...

...is to right click on the toolbar and select "Customize". In the icons list, there is "Bookmarks Menu" icon that looks like a star with a tray under it. Drag it to your toolbar and exit customize mode. Done. Clicking on it drops down your bookmarks.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

11/21/17 1:55 PM

And ctr/shift/B gets a separate window for more extensive diddling of the bookmarks. Including diddle access to the 'bookmarks toolbar' stuff should you decide try it out.

I guess there are multiple paths/keystrokes and usable icon to get to similar diddles for bookmark resources.

greglepore

11/22/17 8:35 AM

Thanks guys. The "bookmarks menu" thingy gives me the good old drop down. Good to know the shortcuts. Thanks.

daddy-o

11/23/17 6:21 AM

New Bookmarks Behavior and Tagging

Tagging is something not found in Chrome, a real feather in Firefox' cap IMO.

This is expanding on the subject from earlier.

I for one have an easier time remembering context of a bookmark in contrast to the path where I saved it. Don't get me wrong,
there are some real go-to folders for me, but after twenty years, one bookmark a day, one folder a week, they pile up.

When you create a new bookmark (Ctrl+D) the third field in the dialog, 'Tags,' can be handy for home-brew searches.
Without tags FFX searches bookmarks with the name of the website/page (shown in the tab) and the URL. Tags add a third field we can
customize, like touring, int'l, gravel. - Comma separated for multiple tags and an individual tag can be multiple words.

How does FFX let you search bookmarks? The Ctrl+B sidebar for one, but the Ctrl+Shift+B full-page lets you sort the
results. Also, in that full-page you can edit the tags and edit multiple bookmarks together by highlighting multiple. No matter the
order you enter the tags they are always displayed alphabetized.

The new behavior?
For a while FFX has had a feature to save all the current tabs in a folder, (Chrome too) Ctrl+Shift+D. With that key combo
FFX prompts for a folder name / location. It's great when you're doing research. And deleting extra tabs is a snap with the
full-page bookmark manager. What's new is within the folder the names of the websites/tabs are now shown in the bookmarks.
(The old behavior was a blank bookmark name. You ended up with a folder full of no-name web-pages. Sometimes the URL would
appear in place of the name.)
BTW, Chrome has saved the tab-name all along.

Happy Thanksgiving 🦃

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -