HOMECLUBS | SPONSORS | FEATURESPHOTO GALLERYTTF DONORS | SHOP FOR GEAR

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

Suggestion for good cross tires?

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
April

11/25/17 8:20 PM

Suggestion for good cross tires?

My rear tires is showing wear and I need replacement.

My current tire is a Michelin (the model had been rubbed off). 30mm width, some pattern of tiny beats in the center, the edges have some slightly larger dots.

- I keep up on road rides with my club gang. So I deduced the rolling resistance must be not much worse than road slicks.
- I feel the weight, but it doesn't seem to slow me down. So I'm not too concern on that front.
- I don't feel quite as "glued" to the road surface compare to when I use road slicks, especially when cornering. (I have a second set of wheel with slick on) So I corner a little bit more conservative on them, particularly if the road is wet. But it could be due to the height and volume?

I have no big complain about it. Can simply order the same again as replacement.

But I thought I might ask if anyone have particular tires they found is really good that I may look into and experiment with.

Primary use is 75% pavement, 20 dirt road, and 5% off-road (jeep track, hiking trail). So low rolling resistance, good dry pavement traction are top priorities. Off pavement traction is second high priority. Weight is 3rd. Puncture resistance? What is puncture? Zero priority!

So share your favorites!

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

Sparky

11/25/17 8:49 PM

I like the Conti Speed Rides for even more off road use than mentioned. File center, small edge knobs, folding version pretty light. I run the 42C which are like 39mm mounted. But I am big and med/heavy. Walter I know has the 35C which as I recall are like 31-3mm mounted depending on the rim width. Maybe he will chime in.

I like the 42C enough that I got 4 more tires folding bead for $60.00 shipped when I saw a clearance. And my first set is still wearing well, but not much pavement use. 25% maybe...

April

11/26/17 7:18 AM

Also, my current tyres had been pretty durable with all the dirt road use. While not a high priority, it’s a nice property.

dan emery

11/26/17 9:35 AM

Clement LAS

That's what I use - a file tread with knobs at the edge like yours so decent on the road, but no cross tire is going to be really good on the road. Sounds like you really want a wide road tire, not a cross tire?

Reply to topic    

Brian Nystrom

11/26/17 9:56 AM

I agree with Dan

The problem is that the needs of road and off-road are diametrically opposed to each other. The better a tire is in soft, off-road surfaces, the worse it's going to be on pavement. 'Cross tires with file treads and edge knobs offer a nice combination of low rolling resistance and cornering ability off-road, but when you lean them over on pavement and get onto the knobs, they're going to be squirrely. The thicker the tread and the more open space in it, the worse they'll feel on pavement.

FWIW, on the last "gravel" event that Linda and I did, we rode with some people on touring bikes for a while. They were all on fat, slick tires, which surprised me. As asked about them and they claimed that they worked fine for most dirt road conditions and their riding bore that out. I'm sure they'd be lousy at cornering on loose singletrack, but if your trails are generally clean and firm, a road tire - perhaps with some tread - may be enough.

Reply to topic    

April

11/26/17 11:07 AM

Dan & Brian, you made valid points (regarding wider road slicks). I've thought of that myself, off and on.

But I've decided not to take that route sometime back. Instead, I got another set of rims and have 25mm road slicks on it for rides that are pure pavement. It's just I'm sometimes (often) too lazy to change the wheels, given how well the cross tires do on pavements anyway.

Another reason for keeping with similar tires. Although the overall percentage use is majority on pavement, that's to some degree skewed by pure road rides (as I was too lazy to bother change to road slick wheels). On those rides that I decidedly choose to go off pavement, it's more like 50% dirt roads and maybe 10-15% of them on loose surface. And almost always involving steep up and down. I need a tire that can positively handle that kind of surface.

So you two had just convinced me I'm better off staying with similar size and pattern of tires, accepting the compromise. :D

I'm still open to other brands and models with similar spec. Not that I need to change, just to broaden my options when I start my little (online) shopping trip.

Last edited by April on 11/26/17 11:38 AM; edited 1 time in total

Sparky

11/26/17 11:19 AM

I just got a pair of Maxxis refuse. Like a big slick with lite file tread [tiny diamonds pointed] and tubeless, same as speed ride size mounted. Reviews indicated the bigger size with lower pressures on soft terrain rated well. Just not too grippy in soft turns.

I also had nano 40s tubeless on the Strong when first built. But they would not hold air, coating was defective. WTB sent a new pair to replace, but they are still hanging on a hook new. They really would be best for mostly non pave. The speed rides and refuse roll better on pavement.

But it should be noted I/d ratger change tires/wheels than to use less compromised rubber, the more purpose specific choice for given jaunt.

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -