HOMECLUBS | SPONSORS | FEATURESPHOTO GALLERYTTF DONORS | SHOP FOR GEAR

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

Fall mode Monster CX provisions.

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
Sparky

11/14/17 8:36 PM

Fall mode Monster CX provisions.

Some new Pacenti CL25 Hoops and Maxxis ReFuse TR tubeless setup. Mounted width 37-8mm. Even at 75PSI ride pretty nice on broken pavement too. ;)

Last edited by Sparky on 11/15/17 11:01 AM; edited 1 time in total

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

daddy-o

11/15/17 9:53 AM

Looks like you're starting to get serious about this biking stuff.

Is that a hybrid? I see parts from three decades.

Sparky

11/15/17 10:31 AM

Parts is parts I figure. Lots of NOS XT 9 speed, Dura Ace 10 speed Barcons, it all works and shifts to perfection.

I hate to leave behind the era of 8-10 speed swap-ability that 11 speed has closed the door on. The frame is Di2 ready, and will likely wind up there... Especially with the onset of the new HG-800 cassette and the 9s XT and XTR NOS hubs I built the wheels from. Which I like/choose the era parts before the Big S went bigger axles and smaller bearings, etc.

With my feelings about road riding safety, this may be a more prolific direction for most riding anyway.

daddy-o

11/15/17 11:08 AM

Great looking bike, I forgot to add. The hybrid thing was an expansion.

Sparky

11/15/17 11:19 AM

Literally a Swiss army bike, as was my build plan. ;)

Fun pic when I fit the 2.1 650b wheelset. Never rolled it as such, note no rotors even mounted. ;)

I was a little concerned about just how tight. Although equal clearance front and rear, nod to Carl's retentive design/building skills.

If I was going to roll it as such, I think I'd wrap the stays with kapton tape so grit on tires does not sand off any powder coat. But probably just a little smaller tire is in order, although the lower height if smaller...

Lessons learned about how possible in reality, or practical having a machine that can run both 700 and 650b actually is. ;)

daddy-o

11/16/17 9:33 AM

Are those bars Major Taylors?

Sparky

11/16/17 10:10 AM

On-one Midge in the 650b picture.

Top pic/currently has Salsa Cow Bell 2. The Midges need to be a lot higher than I am willing to raise the bars up to work well. And the bar cons with the width of the Midge makes for even wider.

I can see the Midges possibly getting another try for multi day treks. And yes, hiked up high. But for daily in and out of the house, the width was annoying at best. ;)

Sparky

12/7/17 5:37 PM

Maxxis re-fuse report.

It stopped raining for a bit [thank you Jesus], in fact we got a high parked over us for like 10 days at least looks like. Squarely what I call fridge temps, 45-50. But wind quit last night, yesterday the gusts would have blown you over.

I determined you in fact never do forget how to ride a bicycle judging by today's jaunt, been a while. ;(

Which brings me to the point of the post. Got more than a sub-division jaunt on the tubeless porky 42C [38mm mounted] Maxxis Re-fuse earlier. They feel much less porky that I expected. But previous to installing I also put on new rims. Rims now are 425gr CL25 Pacenti VS the WTB @ 525gr each, and now tubeless. I think both those advertised weight are optimistic, but the difference obvious. And I had tubes and 32C wire bead commuters on there before. It may actually have less rotational mass. Did not fell like it had more...

45/55 lbs and they feel tight to me, more so than I expected. I did hit a mud ridge coming out of a non paved section and that got ugly for a few seconds. ;) And aimed at some holes etc., still favor avoiding them though [the holes]

I may do a long slow on them early next week, old fart out on slow bike... [slow old fart anyway]

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -