Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

www.equifaxsecurity2017.com
 Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
Sparky

9/13/17 10:15 AM

www.equifaxsecurity2017.com

What a crock of BS. Even if you put in fictitious name and numbers it gives same result!

WTF, now there making a ploy out this to have more ppl sign up to their service due to their inability in security of ppl's information?!

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

KerryIrons

9/13/17 3:34 PM

What's next

I "enrolled" in their system. Supposedly I will get an email "in a few days" that will explain things. I'll post when I get the email. Pretty shady if they say "you were affected" when "you" doesn't even exist. I'm surprised that the blogosphere hasn't picked up on this. There has been a pretty harsh dressing down of Equifax on the web, thus their responsiveness. We'll see how it all plays out.

Reply to topic    

Brian Nystrom

9/13/17 4:01 PM

Use it for a year, then dump it

I don't see the big deal. Yes, I'm very angry at them, but their funky monitoring is a minor issue.

What really pisses me off - other than my data being exposed - is that we have to pay for credit monitoring at all. The credit bureaus make a killing off of our information; they should be providing that service for free!

At a minimum, we need legislation that will force credit bureaus or anyone else who's security is lax enough that they get hacked to provide credit monitoring for affected individuals for at least 7-10 years. Make them hurt a bit and perhaps they'll be more careful.

Another thing that is absolutely insane is the policy regarding placing fraud alerts on your account. You can do it for 90 days, but you have to manually renew it. If you forget, you could be toast. There is an option for a 7-year fraud alert, but it's only available to people who are already victims of identity theft! That's like offering someone homeowner's insurance after their house burns down; it's f-ing crazy!

Who writes these rules, anyway? This seems like something that's so mindlessly stupid and ass-backwards that only Congress could come up with it.

BTW, after signing up for Equifax's TrustedID Premier, I got an email the next day. You don't have to start the monitoring immediately, which is nice for me since I'm already on another monitoring program from a different data breach (ugh!). The "enrollment period" runs to November 20th.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

9/13/17 4:11 PM

We got free 2 years from homedepot after their snafu. I just renewed it actually paying for the 3rd year. It is Experian, i get a text upon any credit request, and also an email. And a 30 day no change conf each month.

Just sent them a request for blocking options...

dddd

9/13/17 5:09 PM

There have been so many of these breach notifications by now, even the Federal OPM sent me one saying that my extensive data had been hacked and that they are offering me a free limited-time subscription, blah, blah, blah.

Seems evident that there is money being made off of those of us who maintain their dubious "coverage" blackmail ransom after the allotted period expires.

Even Blue Shield got into the act after I terminated their unbelieveably-cheapskate medical "coverage" that was anything but cheap in terms of ever-escalating rates and make-pretend coverage that allowed medical providers to submit artificially-high bills that Blue Shield then supposedly negotiated down to size, but without actually ever paying a dime out of their pocket in all likelihood.

Reply to topic    

dan emery

9/13/17 5:24 PM

Equifax

They said I wasn't affected, but I don't know if that means anything. They have been total a$$holes about this for reasons stated and others (e.g. delay in notification). Maybe it's their business plan to eff up and then make you pay to monitor it.

Reply to topic    

Jesus Saves

9/13/17 5:28 PM

I plan on freezing my credit file/account with the big 3 next week when I have time to write and mail out certified letters.

EQUIFAX should face HUGE punitive damages to the point it will nearly put them out of business. How do you not encrypt sensitive data like SSNs and also take months to go public about the breach....?

Reply to topic    

Sparky

9/13/17 7:27 PM

"EQUIFAX should face HUGE punitive damages"
" take months to go public about the breach"

So the officers and friends could do stock sell offs?

April

9/14/17 6:24 AM

Does it really matter?

When half of the population was hacked, what's the probability the criminals will use YOUR information?

As for the lax security and one sided policy in favor of the credit bureau, that's because THEY made the rules!

Wait till google gets hacked!

Jesus Saves

9/14/17 8:57 AM

best medicine is preventative medicine

> When half of the population was hacked, what's the probability the criminals will use > YOUR information?

Let me see they have a digital file(s) containing social security numbers, names, ages, addresses, income, employment and a whole bunch of other valuable information to sell on the dark web market to many criminals. In turn, they will resell the lists or start opening up credit card accounts and buy merchandise, cash advances, etc. without you having a clue until the amount of $$$ debt will crush you.

I'd say the probability is pretty F!@#in good. And if it does happen to you, good luck to ya trying to rectify the problem once the fraudsters have started the process of stealing your identity. You'll be waiting in a long queue of despair to repair for sure.

Reply to topic    

dan emery

9/14/17 10:43 AM

Dumbest guys in the room

The FTC is investigating Equifax and Schumer is calling their treatment of consumers "disgusting" and comparing them to Enron. He is a partisan voice, but I think he may be right and they may be in truly deep $hit well beyond the breach itself.

Reply to topic    

daddy-o

9/14/17 11:16 AM

Only one mention about the timing of the stock sell-off?

dfcas

9/14/17 1:28 PM

They tried to contract away negligence with the no sue clause. Even I knew that was a scam. It would cost 72 million dollars to send everyone a letter.?

April

9/14/17 1:45 PM

quote:
And if it does happen to you, good luck to ya trying to rectify the problem once the fraudsters have started the process of stealing your identity. You'll be waiting in a long queue of despair to repair for sure

"A long queue" could be as long as half of the population in US.

I'd say if that becomes true, a lot else would have happened.

Basically, even if 1% of that file is used, the entire "credit rating" business will become useless.

Jesus Saves

9/14/17 2:47 PM

I have a 0.00001% chance of being struck by lightening. You know what, when there is a thunderstorm, I am inside as it is just not worth the risk despite however improbable.

Read the accounts of those who experienced identity theft. Not pretty and definitely a major PITA to fix.

Why expose yourself to the risk, when there is an effective way to address it? (rhetorical)

Or perhaps one enjoys posting retorts of banal drivel. I don't - so last post for me. Thank you!

http://www.nj.com/business/index.ssf/2017/09/bamboozled_why_the_equifax_hack_is_a_really_really.html#incart_river_home

Reply to topic    

April

9/14/17 3:22 PM

quote:
Why expose yourself to the risk, when there is an effective way to address it

Effective?

How and how effective?

Sparky

9/14/17 4:16 PM

Courtesy of Putin?

daddy-o

9/14/17 6:34 PM

Seriously though, what is an effective way to address the issue?

Change your passwords and all your challenge questions and answers (mother's maiden, etc?)

I heard "change your last four" of your SSN today. How about an effort to trace attacks that use an expired "last four." That would help poison the data.

Does anyone use a password manager they are extraordinarily pleased with?

Pat Clancy

9/15/17 9:46 AM

Security freezes

At my age with my house paid off and cars purchased with cash, I'm not worried about opening new loans or credit cards. I went online and in just a few minutes froze my Experian and TransUnion credit reports. The Equifax site must be getting hit hard - I was unable to complete the freeze transaction there. I'll wait a few days and try again. We only have a few credit cards and I monitor them closely, checking them every couple of weeks for unauthorized charges. Fortunately to date, I haven't seen any. Also, I use Credit Karma. They offer free account monitoring with alerts.

Jesus Saves

9/15/17 9:47 AM

Security Freeze

The short answer: look into "Security Freeze". The steps may differ slightly by state of residence.

From the link I provided earlier:
http://www.nj.com/business/index.ssf/2017/09/bamboozled_why_the_equifax_hack_is_a_really_really.html#incart_river_home

B: What steps should we take to protect ourselves?

BS: First, go get a copy of your credit report from one credit bureau at annualcreditreport.com and put a mark on your calendar to get another one in about three months.

Next: Watch your mail for anything suspicious; check all your bank accounts at least weekly for signs of fraud; listen closely when applying for a loan or a government benefit for any signs that someone else might be using your SSN. Also, get your annual SSN benefits statement online and look for anything unusual (you have to get it online now; it used to be mailed. Do that here.)

Finally, consider putting a security freeze on all your accounts. This is the most serious, but most proactive, step you can take in the wake of the hack. But take this step with great care. If you plan to shop for a car loan or a home loan any time soon, you probably shouldn't do this. Security freezes lock credit report files so no one - not even you - can open a new credit account in your name. But note: Freezes generally cost money (rules vary by state), and they can be a hassle. When it comes time to get a mortgage or an auto loan, consumers sometimes don't remember the procedure to "thaw" their reports. Others who move or experience other personal information changes, like marriage-related name changes, have reported similar frustrations. So if you go this route, store the associated PIN and other information about how to thaw your account very carefully.

Trans Union has a handy grid showing you the varying fee levels, by state and consumer criteria.

For instance, if you live in NJ:
http://www.state.nj.us/dobi/division_consumers/finance/creditfreeze.htm

If you live in New Jersey, you have the right to put a "security freeze" on your credit file. A security freeze means that your file cannot be shared with potential creditors.

Most businesses will not open credit accounts without checking a consumer's credit history first. If your credit files are frozen, even someone who has your name and Social Security number would probably not be able to get credit in your name.

A security freeze can help prevent identity theft. If you believe that you are the victim of identity theft, please contact your local law enforcement agency and file a police report with them.

If you live in NY, then look at
https://www.dos.ny.gov/consumerprotection/pdf/Security%20Freeze031116.pdf

Reply to topic    

KerryIrons

9/15/17 10:21 AM

Rules

quote:
that's because THEY made the rules

That pretty much sums it up. This is why the Consumer Protection Financial Bureau was created and why Republicans are doing their level best to gut the agency.

Reply to topic    

April

9/15/17 11:07 AM

quote:
At my age with my house paid off and cars purchased with cash, I'm not worried about opening new loans or credit cards

Assuming you don't look for another job or change your cell phone carrier etc.

More over, the lost information is EVERYTHING about an individual that last a life time. It's not like you can unfreeze it after a few weeks/months, or even YEARS!

Sparky

9/15/17 11:29 AM

We did a freeze, with our current life plan to be debt free in it's later stages getting new credit is unlikely. Here in OR it cost 10.00 freeze on, 10 bucks freeze off. So just some added cost if an Oregonian with a freeze needs to open an account.

Pat Clancy

9/15/17 11:52 AM

Sometimes getting old doesn't suck

April - I'm retired. No job hunting for me. Dunno what other actions might generate a credit search, but I'll be alert to the possibility.

Regarding the costs of freezing, I incurred none with Experian and TransUnion. I don't know if that was due to Connecticut regulations or if due to the Equifax debacle, the other two decided to waive their normal fees.

Jesus Saves

9/15/17 12:43 PM

Hey April, if an identity thief has all of your info, they might open up a credit card in your name, SSN, etc, with the cc and its statements mailed to their address or they might file your IRS tax return with a large refund mailed to another address, then take the money and run.

This is another useful link. By law, you are entitled to a free credit report every 12 months.
https://www.annualcreditreport.com[url]

Reply to topic    

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next  
Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -