HOMECLUBS | SPONSORS | FEATURESPHOTO GALLERYTTF DONORS | SHOP FOR GEAR

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

"half-baked, spurious nationalism"

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
Sparky

10/17/17 9:35 AM

"half-baked, spurious nationalism"

John McCain slams "half-baked, spurious nationalism" sweeping the U.S. as "unpatriotic"

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

Campyman

10/17/17 9:46 AM

John McCain

John McCain is an ASS.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

10/17/17 9:51 AM

I am unclear what he is trying to achieve. Is this really some of the senior senators frustration of DT GOP direction, or lack of it manifesting?

By all means, express why JM is an ass in your estimation. I have always found him ultimately to hold the party line.

My first thought is this IS the party sentiment and he's the maybe the GOP whipping boy due to terminal illness.

I should have just put this in the "More on, a familiar subject" thread. Pre-cofee decision....

Brian Nystrom

10/17/17 11:15 AM

What is the context of this statement?

Without that, it's hard to know what he's getting at and criticism of the statement is premature at best.

Reply to topic    

daddy-o

10/17/17 11:27 AM

John McCain over his career has expressed a legitimate viewpoint. One that I disagree with more often than not. But he represents something which has been thought through, and he brings unparalleled experience to the dais. ASS or not, he's no ignoramus. If his resistance helps thwart Bannon's "economic nationalism," thwarts Trump's desultory agenda and thwarts all the manipulators Trump attracts: GOOD.

And all of us who have a ballot this coming November 7: VOTE (and encourage like-minded friends and relatives of their responsibility.)

Context:
National Constitution Center presenting John McCain with their Liberty Medal
Full speech, 10 mins, CNN
Clip, 4 mins, Penn St.

Last edited by daddy-o on 10/17/17 11:30 AM; edited 1 time in total

Sparky

10/17/17 11:30 AM

Brian, google it. I am sure I could do no justice expressing my opinion of context.

Let me expound on my comment "I have always found him ultimately to hold the party line."

I have the sense if he is in fact terminally ill, which is likely frankly, we are going to see him "hold the party line" a whole lot less.

I lost a lot of respect for him for the goings on with his pres run and the party pushing Palin on the ticket thing. [if my understanding of what transpired is not inaccurate]

Maybe it was too early in history to ignore the party line in a Pres bid. DT proved it was time though...

Last edited by Sparky on 10/17/17 11:38 AM; edited 1 time in total

daddy-o

10/17/17 11:34 AM

This is where it really kicks in:

https://youtu.be/UMjHeSsbGAI?t=47

Brian Nystrom

10/18/17 7:05 AM

I just watched the full clip...

...and I agree with him. I have no idea what Campyman's objection is, unless he believes in Trumpism.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

10/19/17 3:20 PM

Seeing a theme?

http://www.cnn.com/2017/10/19/politics/bush-speech-trump-bigotry/index.html

April

10/19/17 8:30 PM

seeing a trend...

Matthew Currie

10/19/17 11:54 PM

Wow, who'da thunk it? I once floated the joking conspiracy theory that Trump was secretly promoted by the Bush family, to guarantee that GW would never again top the list as the worst president ever, but here we are, practically nostalgic for him. He makes a better ex president than president, but his dog would make a better president than we have now.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

10/20/17 12:04 AM

At our house, we are gob smacked thst we actually feel even the smallest amount of affection somehow...

daddy-o

10/20/17 6:55 AM

The nostalgia is confounding, isn't it?

I heard part of yesterday's whole speech by W on CSPAN this AM. He used "not soil and blood" followed with concepts embodied by the Constitution and the Declaration. He also had a counterpoint to 'nationalism' that escapes me at the moment, one that recognized the shared spirit of immigrants.

VOTE

Jesus Saves

10/20/17 8:39 AM

KFC chicken

> guarantee that GW would never again top the list as the worst president ever

George Washington?!?! Or the Extra Crispy Bush, and not the "Original Bush" (to quote Trump)? (kidding)

Who has GW Bush at the top of the list? If so, they really do not know Presidential history very well. Useless Grant, Buchanan, Fillmore, and more recently Nixon, and possibly Carter are a few I'd place ahead of him.

Reply to topic    

daddy-o

10/20/17 3:48 PM

YEAH, WORST

George Washington started it all: Blame HIM.

Steve B.

10/20/17 5:40 PM

We would all do well to read some US history to discover how many really awful Presidents we've had.

Of course some of the really dumb f**ks didn't have their finger on the nuclear button.

That's a HUGE difference, having an incredibly stupid man in the WH, with no intellectual ability to understand how complex the world is with all of it's issues and how as a result, EVERY little tweet and comment he makes is hugely magnified and frequently misunderstood.

The concept that what he says now has weight is something he's never dealt with as an adult in his marginal business world and I suspect even he understands that he's always been bluffing his way thru life. You can't do that now and he doesn't have a clue how to deal with it or rise to the occasion.

Reply to topic    

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -