HOMECLUBS | SPONSORS | FEATURESPHOTO GALLERYTTF DONORS | SHOP FOR GEAR

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

John McCain

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
Sparky

10/23/17 11:48 AM

John McCain

I am both happy to say, and sad to say seeing JM live on TV today the following:

Sharp upstairs, nice to see that. But I hate to say it, sad really, he does not look at all well. And I guess that is because he isn't. Is it too much to expect a similar path as Carter I wonder? Maybe not 'expect' so much as not be too surprised of similar outcome. Not according to Dr. Elaine.

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

Steve B.

10/23/17 3:44 PM

For McCain and with a diagnosis of Glioblastoma, a terrible survival rate, it's a very tough cancer to fight, impossible for the most part.

Carter had a "better" cancer to "get" and better treatments available. Plus and in contradiction to his age, he seemingly responded well.

We are likely to see Carter around a few more years, McCain I don't think will last long and unfortunately.

I am really, really glad to see JM sticking it to Trump. I'm certain there are far too many Republicans in the Senate that would LOVE to speak their minds about DT. JM knows he's got nothing to lose so is point man currently.

Reply to topic    

April

10/23/17 4:59 PM

In medicine, average is meaningless. You never know if YOU, the individual will be that 1% that dies when 99% recovers, or that 1% lucky one who lives when 99% don't.

I speak with a bit of personal experience. I'm currently fighting a condition (non-fatal) that 99.9% respond well. But my body did NOT respond like the other 99.9! It's very frustrating. Until you become that 1% personally, it's really difficult to appreciate.

But the reverse is also true. Somebody have to win the lottery. (ok, you have to play to win). And SOMEBODY is that 1 of the 1%!!!

Steve B.

10/23/17 6:30 PM

Yes, JM could have that one-in-a million response to treatment.

Still the odd's don't change and the averages for this disease are "fewer than 3% to 5% of people surviving longer than five years".

Those are really discouraging facts and reflects on the disease and the fact is that they just don't have a good chemo for it.

And before you repeat the mantra about individual responses, note that I too speak from experience, having survived (so far) a life threatening disease with treatment that, in my case, I responded well too. It's also a disease that my Doc. tells me "there's new stuff coming out every week". I declined to be a guinea pig, but like this Doc for his positive attitude and that he's a magician in my eyes.

Glioblastoma is not one of those diseases.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

10/23/17 7:12 PM

"Glioblastoma is not one of those diseases"

I thought pancreatic cancer wasn't either frankly.

April

10/23/17 7:56 PM

Sadly, I’ve seen it in two of my close relatives, one in each camp.

Perhaps I shouldn’t be sad. After all, one survived to old age (still living).

I’m not making light of JM’s illness. I won’t be surprised he chooses to speak his mind thinking this is his last act. I respect him for that. But for that reason also, I’m rooting for him to fight with the believe he can be that 3%!

Steve B.

10/24/17 11:49 AM

"I thought pancreatic cancer wasn't either frankly."

Not sure if you were referring to Carter, who had a cancer ON the liver, which subsequently metastasized into the liver, but that's about all we know from the WiKi article.

I told a co-worker, whose fiance was just diagnosed with Glio, to just hold on and do whatever you can to keep her alive as long as possible. The treatments are taking leaps and bounds forwards for a lot of illnesses and it could be 6 mos. that that announce a new treatment.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

10/24/17 12:29 PM

I am corrected, not sure why I thought Carter had Pancreatic cancer. Some Googling fixed my misconception.

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -