Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

Is this a great year or what?
 Goto page Previous  1, 2

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
dan emery

10/14/17 7:54 AM

x-ray vision

Had the 2 week postsurgical check yesterday, it all looks good and I am functioning well, out of the sling for the most part, driving, no limitations for work, just can't reach up, lift or rotate much.

I looked at the surgical x-rays (they seem to take continuous x-rays throughout the procedure). Holy crap there is a lot of hardware in there, a plate and maybe 7 honking screws at all different angles. I said it feels solid and the PA laughed and said "it's solid all right."

It's interesting that they hold it together with wires before they install the permanent stuff. Anyway I'm pleased with the result so far.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

10/14/17 10:22 AM

Wire? You mean wrapped around the humerous? Or straight k wire segments i wonder?

Glad you are doing well, fantastic!

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

dan emery

10/14/17 10:39 AM

Wired

Looked like they wrapped it up to hold it together and in place while they drilled. It was basically the ball at the top of the humerus that was fractured and displaced. Lots of criss crossing wire.

Thanks, I can function better at this point than I expected.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

10/14/17 11:05 AM

You have more hardware in you than an Ace Hardware store. :)

dddd

10/14/17 2:22 PM

As I often am, I am reading this entire post long after an OP posted.

Best wishes on a speedy recovery.

I really had to sympathize with this event after almost getting hospitalized by my neighbor's herding dog last month. I had agreed to let his dog out a couple of times while he was away, and after opening the door I would sprint around to the back side of the house so the anxious dog would follow me and stay away from the street. The dog decided that my swift departure to the back yard needed some herding assistance as I rounded the left-hand corner onto a rock-strewn (and rock-hard), unpaved section of the driveway, and took my legs out from under me with a body slam. I went airborne, horizontal through mid-air, finally crashing down onto my hip and arm. I ended up with a hematoma on my left hip and two substantial gashes to my upper forearm, but thankfully no broken bones.

So how is your recovery from surgery going?

EDIT: Yeah, I see you posted today already about your recovery. Glad to hear they could save the bone.

Reply to topic    

April

10/14/17 4:04 PM

Dan, have you had your bone density checked?

2 broken bones from seemingly minor falls within a year. Did something changed?

But then, it may just be luck that you fell the wrong way.

dan emery

10/14/17 4:10 PM

Thanks

And you have quite a story too. A friend has an Aussie and I can see exactly that happening. I like your run to the back strategy.

With me, the dogs (70 and 50 lbs of muscle with insane prey drives) took off like Cipo and Abdu launching a sprint. It was pitch dark and I saw nothing so I wasn't braced, and immediately off balance. I was afraid they were after a neighborhood cat, which could have led to all kinds of sh*t, so I pulled back as hard as I could. Then I lost the leash and went flying backward like a stretched rubber band snapped. I also felt like I was horizontal in the air and my hat and glasses flew a good distance (I had to come back and find them with a flashlight). Landed right on the shoulder.

I'm glad they saved the bone too. One of the nurses said they don't see that many repairs, more often replacements. The surgeon said for people active and in shape they lean more toward repair. And I had a decent rotator cuff which helped as well.

Just took a ride on the Computrainer. I could ride fine on the tops or hoods (tops a little more stable) though I wouldn't want to take any road shock at this point. I'm banned from the road another 4 weeks.

Reply to topic    

dan emery

10/14/17 4:18 PM

Falls

April, I have some osteoporosis, which is in the process of being treated, though the surgeons said the bone was good at both these breaks. I will also say that these were not minor falls. Each one was high impact with me flying through the air and landing full weight right on the bone that broke. I described the dog fall above. A doc looking at the reports of the femur fracture said it was like someone hitting the bone with a baseball bat.

Reply to topic    

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Goto page Previous  1, 2  
Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -