HOMECLUBS | SPONSORS | FEATURESPHOTO GALLERYTTF DONORS | SHOP FOR GEAR

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

Oct. 1, Oregon new 'device' use while driving law

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
Sparky

9/28/17 10:33 AM

Oct. 1, Oregon new 'device' use while driving law

Curious as to how many less time a day I might have my 'almosts' from folks with device in hand. I average 2-3 per ride when I go towards Portland.

Mostly in cross walks in which I have the light. Because that is the best time not to resist using a device behind the wheel. Right turns on red for car the worst case for the person in the crosswalk with the light. Lefts from the oncoming nearly as bad. No light with just a crosswalk fun too! It seem light death race 2000. ;)

_____
Starting Oct. 1, drivers in Oregon can be pulled over for not only texting and talking on their cellphones, but also for navigating, using social media and any other "hands-on" cellphone and electronics use.

quote:
Those convicted of a first-time distracted driving offense not contributing to a crash face a presumptive fine of $260, with a maximum fine of $1,000. Starting on Jan. 1, the court may suspend the fine for first-time offenders if the driver completes an approved distracted driving avoidance course within four months.

Although the fine would be suspended, the violation would still remain on the offender's driving record.

A second-time offense or one involving a crash carries a presumptive fine of $435 and a maximum fine of $2,500.

Committing a third distracted driving offense in a 10-year span is considered a misdemeanor. The minimum fine is $2,000, but repeat offenders could face a $6,250 fine and up to one year in jail.

Repeat offenders will face steeper fines and as much as a year in jail.

Officials are hoping the changes, which stem from the passage of House Bill 2597 during the 2017 Oregon Legislature, will help officers nab reckless drivers and curb dangerous distracted driving behaviors.

Wording on the previous cellphone driving law made texting and talking on the phone the only primary distracted driving offenses, meaning if an officer spotted someone behind the wheel reading a Kindle or scrolling through Facebook, they couldn't pull them over solely for that.

Legislature: Hands-free will be the only legal use of cell phone while driving in Oregon

The new law makes it illegal to drive in Oregon while holding or using any electronic device, including cellphones, tablets, GPS or laptops.

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

Sparky

9/28/17 10:51 AM

BTW, apparently specific wording to include cyclists included.

It is not infrequent that I have to yell heads up to a person on the MUTs on bike with phone in hand.

The ones going no hands on the bars actually hold their line better. ;) Walkers also on phone to a lesser degree an issue occasionally.

Nick Payne

9/28/17 2:31 PM

Don't know that a law will make all that much difference. Using a mobile while driving has been illegal here across the country for several years, but in a recent survey a substantial number (up to two-thirds of drivers in some states) admitted that they still sometimes use a phone while driving.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

9/28/17 3:51 PM

I think a lot of folks here literally never put it down.

I wonder why it took so long, this has got to be a cash cow.

Fwiw, to be specific it's amendments to existing in place law.

LeeW

9/30/17 6:44 AM

It will only be a cash cow if there is a statewide emphasis on enforcement (and a streamlined procedure for conviction?).

MD has had laws against anything but hands-free for a few years, but they are largely not enforced. I don't think I have ever heard of anyone in the state who has actually been charged with the offense.

Reply to topic    

Brian Nystrom

9/30/17 10:21 AM

Yeah...

...I think you pretty much have to crash into a cop in order to get busted for it.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

9/30/17 10:42 AM

I read that too many cops lost cases that started by pulling over folks they saw on the phone or the light of the phone on the face at night etc. The subsequent DUII or similar got dismissed in court, so it may just be more about that to some degree.

Sparky

10/1/17 9:22 AM

This VID I saw this morning on the tube, important video information on the topic:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kL2kOCjHUE0

Sparky

10/2/17 7:35 AM

AND DAY 2 of new law, Elaine got 5 miles from the house and CRV totaled by MOTHERFUCKER ON THE PHONE!!

Equinox 15 months old, $10K rear end damage. CRV 28k totaled. see a trend...

Cop also a cyclist, so we had a convo about daily almosts.

I asked if his watch commander set any mandates for new amendments to the cell law. He said per patrol persons discretion.

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -