HOMECLUBS | SPONSORS | FEATURESPHOTO GALLERYTTF DONORS | SHOP FOR GEAR

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

Tough Boots

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
dan emery

8/27/17 9:56 AM

Tough Boots

I walked beck to the river yesterday for the first time since my ill-fated skating trip in January (which resulted in a fractured femur). It is a pretty bony half mile walk through the woods - lots of fallen trees, roots, wet areas etc., and I was glad that my leg had the resilience to handle it easily.

When I changed into my skates in January, I left a nearly new pair of leather Ecco hiking boots by the bank (along with a fleece jacket). As I exited the river care of Yarmouth Rescue, the boots and jacket remained in situ. Yesterday I found them. They had been there 7 months, including most of winter and all of mud season, through multiple heavy snow storms, heavy rain, ice, sun. The boots were basically perfect. The leather looks close to new, as does the lining. There was a bit of grit inside, but cleaned up easily. One boot was slightly damp, but dried right out. I put some boot dressing on them, but I have other shoes that need it more. I walked the dogs in them and they felt great. This seems kind of remarkable to me. Kudos to Ecco.

The jacket would have been OK but mice or whatever chewed a bunch of holes in it.

Last edited by dan emery on 8/27/17 1:49 PM; edited 1 time in total

Reply to topic    

Sparky

8/27/17 1:35 PM

That IS remarkable. Thankfully the fleece tasted better than the boots and they were spared gettin ate. ;)

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

Steve B.

8/27/17 4:15 PM

No porcupines in your area perhaps, they love boots for the salt in the sweat.

One big note of caution for hikers on the AT in VT, NH and Maine is don't leave your boots on the ground at night !

Reply to topic    

dan emery

8/27/17 4:46 PM

Porcys

There are Porcys back there (in the past dogs have got quilled) but these were new boots worn only in the middle of winter so no sweat perhaps. Or they may have been deodorized buried in snow and drenched with rain...

Reply to topic    

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -