View posts since last visit

Last day TdF contest ?

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
Steve B.

7/22/17 12:06 PM

Last day TdF contest ?

Pondering whether Sky will make a move tomorrow to get Landa onto the podium

Consensus I've read is "no challenges except sprint points in Paris"

But 1 second ?, gotta be tempting for Sky to play dumb on the lead in to Paris, then open up ?. Easier to lose track in a crit. Might turn into a complete cluster on cobbles.

Who knows, could be an exciting day and one the planners haven't counted on

Reply to topic    

Sparky

7/22/17 12:52 PM

"make a move tomorrow to get Landa onto the podium"

Don't see it, as much as I'd like to. ;)

Remember how many days ago I said Watch Uran? ;)

Also, Pistolero did quit the TT ride I thought. Only one except Froome maybe that made the 16% surprise look easy-ish...

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

LeeW

7/22/17 1:24 PM

I believe that Froomey already cost Landa his shot at the podium, so why try again?

Recall the final Alps stage when Landa attacked with a few km to go and got a nice gap on the gc group. Froomey waited about 45-60 sec and then attacked himself and succeeded in dragging Bardet and the rest of the field back up to Landa. Had Chris not tested his ego, Landa would be solidly on the podium. No one was challenging CF when he decided to attack. He blew it for his teammate.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

7/22/17 1:57 PM

But did Landa have team blessing for that attack?

LeeW

7/22/17 2:18 PM

Huh?
Sparky, you're just trying to stir things up.

Landa wasn't a threat to Froomey at that point.
If he indeed didn't have permission to attack and Froome was directed to pull him back, then this whole post is water over the dam; why would they possibly violate the gentlemen's agreement that noone attacks on the last day to move Landa up again?

LOL.

Reply to topic    

Steve B.

7/22/17 3:17 PM

I read the Stage 18 move by Landa and result as a not a case of Froome realing him in as much a case of Landa tried an attack and didn't have the legs to sustain. Recall he and other Sky riders had just expended a lot of energy keeping Froome up in front while AG2R was driving the pace.

Landa as well, had a only a so-so TT today, so clearly isn't the clear favorite or strongest on the Sky team.

Reply to topic    

Brian Nystrom

7/22/17 4:13 PM

I agree with Steve

It may also be that the strategy was to put Landa up the road as a helper for Froome if he managed to get away, but that didn't happen.

As for tomorrow, it would be really risky for them to try anything. Just imagine what a disaster it would be if they went off the front and somebody crashed on the cobbles, and took Froome out. I just don't see them risking it. There are only time bonuses for the first three spot at the finish, so Landa's chances of doing anything that way are just about zero.

Reply to topic    

dan emery

7/22/17 4:18 PM

Gentlemen schmentlemen

Van de Velde thought Sky might attack tomorrow. Bobke was more doubtful, but both agreed it would not be a relaxing night or race for AG2R.

I didn't see Landa's attack and don't know the intended strategy, but I don't think you can criticize the Yellow Jersey for not protecting a teammate. The team rides for the YJ, not the reverse. And I can imagine scenarios where they might want Landa up the road in case Froome or another contender attacked.

I thought Bardet did a heroic ride today. He was suffering like a dog, but wrung every second out of the corners that he could. He knew every second would count, and every one did. Chapeau to him.

Reply to topic    

LeeW

7/22/17 5:49 PM

Oh C'mon

The stage was classic Director Sportif strategy seen in many many races over the years. If you have 2 strong riders in a reduced group on 6-7, you send the 2nd guy off the front to see if any opponent will expend himself trying to bring him back. If soneone does, then your main man just rides their wheel back up and one opponen has wasted himself.

Instead, CF did a sine wave back and forth looking at all his opponents and then decided to attack himself, but all he did was drag everyone back up.

Unless indeed as Sparky postured that Landa was acting on his own against Team best interests, I believe either Sky or CF mishandled the tactic.

Reply to topic    

daddy-o

7/22/17 6:20 PM

Coming to TdF Sunday: Match Race TTT Pursuit, Sky vs AG2R

Froome will bury himself to stick the break then hold on for dear life.

Meh, what's the result of that effort? Landa's contract negotiations become one podium place stronger?

Then again the name of the business is advertising... did you see what Sky did? Sky is so badass. Did you see Sky's fall lineup?

Sparky

7/23/17 9:10 AM

Jens sez: "As commentator I am supposed to say what is going to happen, not what I want to happen."

;)

How many points at that sprint? Landa goes off front solo, grabs theses sprint points and a podium place???

I guess I mixed up points and time bonus there...

henoch

7/24/17 8:36 AM

There were no time bonus other then at the finish, and I don't think that Landa ever planned to mix it up with Griepel, Bouhanni et el..

Reply to topic    

Brian Nystrom

7/24/17 12:21 PM

Speaking of Greipel...

What's up with him? The poor guy seems to have completely lost his mojo!

He was clearly the fastest of the bunch, but waited 10-20 meters too late to start his sprint. Did he not see Groenewegen from his position?

Maybe Nacer Bouhanni threw a punch and distracted him? ;-)

Reply to topic    

henoch

7/24/17 12:40 PM

Yeah it is very strange, last year I think he won 4 stages, this year he had multiple 2nd places, and seemed to be the fastest on a few occasions but seemed to have his timing all wrong.

Reply to topic    

daddy-o

7/26/17 1:26 PM

Was there less climbing in this year's TdF?

Sparky

7/28/17 12:57 PM

Less climbing but a few more walls perhaps??

La Course by Le Tour de France 2017: Stage 2

Stage 2 of La Course was a pursuit stage .

Now this I've not seen before...

daddy-o

7/8/18 8:04 AM

Howzabout someone else opening a 2018 TdF thread?

C'mon non-starters, when is the Tour kick-off anyway?

Lot's of oxygen and sparks here, add some kindling 🚴‍♀️🚴‍♂️🚴‍♂️🚴‍♀️🚴‍♂️🚴‍♂️🚴‍♀️🚴‍♀️🚴‍♀️🚴‍♂️

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -