HOMECLUBS | SPONSORS | FEATURESPHOTO GALLERYTTF DONORS | SHOP FOR GEAR

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

Can anyone remember another Tour...

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
Brian Nystrom

7/17/17 5:15 AM

Can anyone remember another Tour...

...when the gaps between the leaders got smaller at it progressed, rather than larger? This one has been pretty strange in that regard, but it's certainly made it more interesting. With all of the key personalities that we've lost already, it's a good thing that something's making the race worth watching!

Now what we need is something dramatic that will make it harder for Froome to just blow everyone away in the TT and take the win.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

7/17/17 9:00 AM

ARU has had a lot of luck using other teams as his protection. When you see Froome he has a lot of his team with/around him. ARU's team OTOH I don't see around when the going gets rough. This luck is unlikely to maintain him for the race. Agree that it seems to be pretty enjoyable thus far.

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

dan emery

7/17/17 1:06 PM

interesting race

I haven't really watched the pros in a long time but I've seen some of this race. I'm not sure how difficult the last 2 mountain stages are, but Froome certainly doesn't look dominant so I'm not sure if someone can blow him up on one of those stages. And I'm not sure Landa couldn't ride away from Froome but he is playing the good lieutenant.

Froome seems like a good guy, but he is not a pretty pedaller....

Reply to topic    

Sparky

7/17/17 1:34 PM

Froome on the bike looks plane wonky to me.
One of the Aussie feed guys said he looks like a frog in a sock. I nearly spit my coffee out...

Brian Nystrom

7/17/17 2:57 PM

Froome's nickname in his native South Africa...

...translates to "broken-winged bird", which is quite fitting. He's living proof that you don't have to look good to generate lots o' watts. I have nothing against him whatsoever, but the Team Sky management has done some really shady things in past years and I would really like to see someone knock them off their pedestal.

Yesterday, Froome's four chief rivals had a golden opportunity to hit him hard as soon as he got back to the group after his flat. Instead, they gave him enough time to recover before they started attacking, at which point it was too late.

Reply to topic    

Nick Payne

7/17/17 5:17 PM

quote:
ARU's team OTOH I don't see around when the going gets rough.

His two strongest team-mates, Dario Cataldo and Jacob Fuglsang (the only two who were really going to be able to help him in the mountains) have both had to abandon the Tour due to crashes.

Reply to topic    

daddy-o

7/17/17 6:28 PM

Uran won a long TT in the 2014 Giro and he's climbing well. Froome lost 20 seconds in the last 200 meters the other day.

1 Christopher Froome (GBr) Team Sky 64:40:21
2 Fabio Aru (Ita) Astana Pro Team 0:00:18
3 Romain Bardet (Fra) AG2R La Mondiale 0:00:23
4 Rigoberto Uran (Col) Cannondale-Drapac 0:00:29

1 Team Sky 194:10:44
2 AG2R La Mondiale 0:09:52
-6 Cannondale-Drapac 1:30:21
-7 Astana Pro Team 1:40:24

Tuesday looks like the perfect transition day for the riders after a rest day, a Cat 3, a 4 and downhill rolling for the last 100K.
Wednesday, a 2, HC, 1, HC and downhill 28 KM with the last 17 looking not so technical. Google map.
Thursday, 3, 1, HC mountain top

Standard disclaimer on the Wednesday map vs the CyclingNews profile, they don't quite match distance wise but the two maps seem to mesh.

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -