HOMECLUBS | SPONSORS | FEATURESPHOTO GALLERYTTF DONORS | SHOP FOR GEAR

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

Stage 9 Spoiler

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
daddy-o

7/9/17 11:39 AM

Stage 9 Spoiler

I'm watching a recording, 100KM to go, spoil if you like.

I've been watching TdF for as long as it's been on as a daily feed. I don't recall seeing sandy-washout descents like today. It seems like since the Strade Bianche began organizers have used the license to open new climbs.

The only thing worth complaining about is it sure would been cool to see Sagan getting aggressive down this descent.

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

Sparky

7/9/17 2:17 PM

Great stage, Porte bad bad bad, El Pistole may feel like shooting himself.

Now, Uran stuck in smallest cog for the last part of the race... I was rooting big time for the guy on the two speeder to win the day/stage..

Great day and stage in my book, sans Porte.

Super happy Sports Gold started Steaming the NBCSC coverage. I of course waited for it to be a reply, FF/RW enabled. Happy camper, although I should be out on the bike...

----

"Richie Porte was transferred to the Centre Hopitalier Metropole Savoie in Chambery where he was evaluated by Dr. Zerr. He underwent X-rays to determine the extent of his injuries. His condition was stable from the beginning, he was responsive, and he remembered everything that happened before and after the crash," explained team doctor Max Testa.

"X-rays confirmed a non-displaced right clavicle fracture and a non-displaced right acetabulum fracture. Richie also suffered extensive superficial abrasions involving the right side of his body. At this stage, the injuries will not require surgery. The plan is to re-evaluate Richie tomorrow morning and confirm that he is stable enough to be transferred home."
----

Dilaudid on the banned substance list??

Fractures aren't 'lucky' in most ways, but I can attest when not displaced... Well, some luck there, no doubt.

Looking at the slow-mo, looks like he caught the hip on the left edge of the pave. Then he was head first with Martin's weight pushing him into the rock wall on the right side after a bit of air, slide, and roll to the right side of the road. Not pretty!

Last edited by Sparky on 7/9/17 5:07 PM; edited 1 time in total

daddy-o

7/9/17 4:51 PM

Hi-lo gearing, but it was enough to get him to the finish line.
Great stage except for the skin and bones.

It's the first stage I've seen this year on the big screen. Bob Roll mispronounced Tour Day FrAAnce!

Brian Kelly

7/9/17 5:15 PM

Aru and Froome's mechanical?

Any thoughts on Aru's attack while Froome was dealing with a mechanical?

Interesting to hear Jens' take (you don't attack the yellow jersey while he has a mechanical) vs. Bobke's (how about you make sure your bike works if you want to win the Tour) during the post race show.

Sparky

7/9/17 5:25 PM

"Aru's attack while Froome"

I was pretty distracted by Porte and the two speed win.

But my initial reaction was one of poor sportsmanship. But after hearing Jens and Bobke, and some contemplation...

Froome has a machine of support, ARU is more the kind of money-ball team recruitment wise. While I dislike the attack, and with the poor Astanna team having to be so careful about dope [snickers].

But he did abate, and the later attacks by Froome showed perhaps he shoulda kept going. As Froome did some assertion and clearly has more in the tank by the looks of his attacks.

daddy-o

7/9/17 5:52 PM

They should have let Aru burn all his matches. He was barely holding on when Froome finally attacked. --It was interesting hearing Bob and CVV agree on that (IIRC.) For context, I'm both partial to the tradition and support the flow-of-the-race attacks when Dumoulin took his nature break at the Giro. (The guy off the front wasn't going to slow down.)

Froome's had perfect training for the race this year. When I saw his 2017 palmares are 6th in the Sun Tour and 4th in the Dauphene, I figured he better win the Tour. But Sky is paying him to win one race. Did have a crash this year?

Would it take losing 10Kg for Sagan to turn into a mountain goat? If that's not side-tracked enough, I'm taking the bet that Sagan will make the first road WC three-peat.

Brian Nystrom

7/10/17 5:07 AM

The general rule has been...

...that you don't initiate an attack if the yellow jersey has a mechanical. However, if a mechanical occurs in the midst of an attack or during hard racing, you're not obligated to slow down. Aru's attack seems to fall into the former category, since they were riding tempo on a climb and he attacked when Froome signaled that he had a problem. The fact that he was right behind Froome, obviously saw him signal, then attacked immediately seems particularly unsportsmanlike.

As much as I'd like to see Aru turn this into a race - rather than a coronation - I'm with Jens on this one.

Reply to topic    

Nick Payne

7/10/17 2:59 PM

Yeah, and Uran showed how to win a stage on a 2-speed. Who needs 11 - other than Spinal Tap.

Reply to topic    

Brian Nystrom

7/10/17 3:36 PM

It's interesting to see Uran's reaction

He had no idea that he'd won and getting ready to leave when they told him. He was smart, gutsy and apparently quite strong. Now he's in the thick of the GC battle. In a race that's been "interesting" for all the wrong reasons, this seems like a ray of hope.

Reply to topic    

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -