CYCLINGFORUM.COM - Where Cyclists Talk Tech --- Return To Home

Register FAQ'sSearchProfileLog In / Log Out

cyclingforum.com ****

HOMECLUBS | SPONSORS | FEATURESPHOTO GALLERYTTF DONORS | SHOP FOR GEAR

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

Cateye Micro; still waiting for daylight savings...

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
dddd

6/4/17 11:57 AM

Cateye Micro; still waiting for daylight savings...

Anyone with a Micro might know what I'm talking about, ...that time of year when the clock needs re-setting. I am able to re-set my seemingly-similar Strada model with no problem, but this one... #&%@!

Despite a seemingly-comprehensive instruction sheet spanning perhaps three feet square, AND having gone online, I can't extract any instruction for re-setting the clock, other than to do a global reset and re-enter all the data, including ODO and wheel-size.

This being a one-button device imposes certain limitations on manipulating data entry, but surely there must be a way to simply change the clock setting.
I go through re-setting better than a half-dozen devices twice per year, and the others I am able to do without using their various brand instructions, even the other Cateye models.

It wasn't all bad yesterday, running about being an hour late (due to my Cateye's belated readout) during my morning ride and after. I visited a thrift store thinking I still had lots O' time to kill off, and found a real bargain on a battery-powered mower that's an exact replacement for the one I found in a purchased home's basement (the grumpy estate sale folks didn't know there were two basements, LOL). Having bought replacement batteries for the mower that I have by now basically abused to death, finding this near-exact model means I won't need to buy batteries for it any time soon. I got a further discount for the mower's missing interlock key that I already have at home.

Has anyone here with a Micro figured this out yet? (No, I believe they don't have an 800 number!)

Reply to topic    

Sparky

6/4/17 12:10 PM

This help:

http://www.bikeforums.net/general-cycling-discussion/277922-cateye-micro-wireless-cc-mc-100w-time-set.html

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

dddd

6/7/17 12:28 AM

Those instructions worked with my Strada, once I realized they meant mode button and not "start" button (there isn't one).

I tried it with my Micro and there seems to be no way to select clock mode though, since the clock function has it's own 3rd line on the screen, so isn't selected by either button.
I'll have to check the big instructions to see if maybe mine has been configured to make the clock function have a separate, inaccessible line on the screen. Maybe I would have to change it's configuration first(?).

Thanks for taking the time to find that link.

My other grievance with these compact Cateyes is that one's clock runs fast, and the other one's clock runs slow, significantly so, almost ten minutes per year.

Reply to topic    

JohnC

6/7/17 9:51 AM

Warning: Smart-ass reply ahead:

How hard is it to just remember that the clock is an hour slow? Or just wear a watch?

dddd

6/7/17 10:19 AM

Good answer, but I tried that on Saturday, and ended up forgetting so got the mower by good luck on THAT day.
If I used the same computer on every ride, it would be fine.

I have a Garmin watch that I wear for running, out on my 5-8-mile loops, but it is an older, huge thing that is less suited to cycling. It cost 7.99 at Goodwill and changes automatically at each time change.

I have an old cycling Garmin as well, it is good but Garmin never made a Quick-releasing mount for it, so one needs to use zip-ties to attach another $20 bracket to each bike that it will go on. It also won't keep track of each bike's mileage that I use to schedule maintenance and to evaluate various component's wear life.

A perfect cyclocomputer would be like a tiny Garmin but with a quick-release mount AND a bunch of stick-on "chip" decals for handlebar or stem that the computer would read to be able to keep track of each bike's mileage and weight in separate data files.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

6/7/17 10:38 AM

I used my Galaxy S5 mounted on my stem for the first time yesterday. A little dorky, but not needing bifocal sun glasses to read a small display quite useful.

Either Flight deck with, or the Polar CS200 alone in use for 10 years+. But my Polar speed and cadence pickups have been in die off node.

Lost my HRM strap/pickup, but the new H7 Polar talks to the CS200 and S5 being ANT+ compatible.

The Domane came with a DuoTrap installed, S5 likes that too. With the GPS on, I wonder how the battery will do in the Andriod along with ANT and BT radios in use. 25 miles slow ride used up about 20%. I say slow because not been climbing and I was pitifully slow average due to a hilly ride. Bordering embarrassing frankly.

Anyway, I was not keen on using the phone, but I have it with me on rides anyway. And it all worked pretty much plug and play, which I did not expect frankly, lucky? Not to mention I had all the parts without buying anything beyond the H7 which I needed anyway. Not sure I would have bought the DuoTrap. In fact the Madone has the slot for it too, and I was not planning on putting one in. But it all synced up a lot easier than the Polar parts, and I have skipped entire seasons without speed or cadence pissed when the Polar shit flaked more than once.

Too much fun sometimes...

April

6/7/17 10:38 AM

I wear a watch.

Between that and my phone, I have more than enough time piece(s) to tell me the correct time.

My cyclecomputer is usually displaying the speed in the center, only because that's the default. Mileage is what I mostly care about on a ride.

The clock on the cyclecomputer is totally redundant.

dddd

6/8/17 6:07 PM

I leave the watch at home if my computer is working. It's a sweat- and sunscreen-collector.

I used to train with just a Casio wrist stop watch, trying to hit split time targets along a familiar hill-training route. It got the job done, but I had to establish and remember what the split times were. A later Timex Ironman watch actually stored several split times, and beeped them off.

Reply to topic    

KerryIrons

6/9/17 9:49 AM

Time is on your side

The people close to me nearly all describe me as obsessive with all my logs of riding miles, miles on my tires, miles on my shoes, pedals, rims, cables, etc. But somehow I survive with no bike computer. I do wear a watch so I know the time, but I continue to live a fulfilled life without the statistics. YMMV :)

Reply to topic    

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -