HOMECLUBS | SPONSORS | FEATURESPHOTO GALLERYTTF DONORS | SHOP FOR GEAR

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

Tour of Flanders 2017 Final Kilometers

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
daddy-o

4/2/17 4:33 PM

Tour of Flanders 2017 Final Kilometers

I've never seen a Monument victory celebrated like this. Maybe a CX.

This is the beginning of a 45 minute clip, 32K remaining, the leader clicking off 1:22 second kilos on the flats with a :50 second lead after 200+ kilos.

This is 22 minutes into the clip. About 35 seconds after the segment starts is the most dramatic turn of events of the day. A few angles are shown.

A different clip. What is most likely the deciding move was made in the kilometer that follows the mark starting this segment. The ending was so extraordinary, and the announcers in the other clip were saying things that didn't quite make sense, so I jumped around to find the move.

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

dfcas

4/3/17 6:25 AM

TV coverage of the Classics has been sparse this year. Bein sports has no cycling. Watching on a computer is just not as enjoyable as a TV plus with the DVR I can pause and backup.

greglepore

4/3/17 6:41 AM

Almost all of the racing is on youtube within hours after the end, and its sharper and less broken up than on live stream. Watched the entire race last night (well, from the Muur on, had watched up to then live) on a clear youtube of the Belgian Sportza feed, switching to a Eurosports youtube of the last 40 k.

Using a cheap used Dell laptop (6420 from ebay, core i3, under $200 use it to run all my cycling vids) -hdmi out to a vizio. You can rewind or ff like a vcr.

I actually don't watch these in the am, weather has turned and I'm outside. Have to lock down reading anything on the net for a bit though.

Daddy-o the vids in the links are dead.

daddy-o

4/3/17 7:44 AM

Thanks Greg for the heads-up. I knew it was too good to last.

I'd really like make this a spoiler thread.

How about we call open season on Paris-Roubaix at Eastern-Daylight-Sunrise next week?

Here's a sample of Flanders 2017 clips, guaranteed not to expire.

Campyman

4/3/17 7:51 AM

Flander Streams

I found a couple good streams of the race from cyclingfans.com that did not require using Hola vpn app.

One feed was an Italian RAI feed that had very good HD Video Quality and the other was a British EuroSport feed with Sean Kelly as one of the announcers.

I expect the same will be up next Sunday for Paris-Roubaix.

It looked great connecting my PC's Digital Display output to my TV. I picked up a Display Port to HDMI cable from Newegg a couple years ago to use for streaming CX races.

Reply to topic    

daddy-o

4/4/17 2:36 PM

Watch Peter Sagan's front wheel as he passes the black jacke

If a channel called "PeterSaganOfficial" means this link won't expire, we're gold.

26 seconds including some frame-by-frame

Sparky

4/4/17 4:02 PM

Sick bike handling skills always...

Brian Nystrom

4/5/17 5:21 AM

So another race is decided by fan interference!

When are these , f-ing idiot fans going to learn to get out of the friggin' way? What is it going to take to keep irresponsible, self-absorbed dumb-asses far enough away from the riders that they can't cause problems?

Some of the blame rests with the organizers, who were apparently hellbent on forcing the riders onto the cobbles and put the barriers closer to the road than in years past. In this case, it appears that they left just enough room for the riders to get into a gutter, but not enough to do so safely.

While the outcome was still epic, it was all but decided after the crash. Had Sagan and Van Avermaet not been taken out of the equation, the result could have been different and it definitely would have been even more exciting. What a shame!

Reply to topic    

PLee

4/5/17 12:29 PM

Brian - Let's get real. Humans are nothing if not fallible. The race organizers need to take into account that fans will do stupid things. The riders need to do the same.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

4/5/17 1:41 PM

"take into account that fans will do stupid things"

Like one of my favs, walking across with their dog off leash while the Peloton is barreling down in sight?

dddd

4/6/17 11:32 AM

I don't blame the riders here at all.

When there is a high-stakes competition going on, whether in politics or in sports (or in court between exes), optimal risk calculation, i.e. "brains", cannot be counted on.
On top of that, these front-running riders are in a state of high continual fatigue and have to choose in real time between the cobbled surface taking them out and the soothing (but more "dynamic") situation along the barrier where the fans are.

On the occasions where a rider in a similar situation wins the race, they are invariably praised by all for their excellent choice of willing to take a chance.

No guts, no glory as they say.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

4/6/17 11:56 AM

Well, a guy like Sagan has a clear advantage when you ramp up the technical aspects in any form the way I see it.
;)

Jesus Saves

4/7/17 5:29 AM

I didn't think a fan caused the crash nor did the announcers for reasons they expressed - getting tangled up in the banner/advert . Post crash, it looked like Sagan wanted to take out the phorographer than a fan.

Reply to topic    

henoch

4/7/17 7:52 AM

TV Coverage

Circling back to the TV Coverage
NBC will be having Paris Roubaix this Sunday though it isn't going to be live but Sunday night.
Also NBC has an app that gives you lots of the classics I think it $20 or something like that.
If you have a Roku or Apple TV etc.. you can install the app on those and watch it on your big TV and also Pause, Fast forward etc..

Reply to topic    

Brian Nystrom

4/8/17 10:01 AM

J.S. did you look at the video posted above?

It's very obvious that the jacket snagged Sagan's left brake lever and turned his bars toward the barrier. The advertising banner didn't come loose until the third rider hit the jacket and it dragged the banner with it.

Reply to topic    

daddy-o

4/8/17 8:11 PM

TV coverage of track worlds, tour of Onan

Thanks Henoch. I see my PR coverage is NBC-SN, 3 hours starting at 7:00 PM.

Prime time cycling coverage on you Universal HD feed, eleven hours over the next two weeks. Heck, I post this stuff and I forget most of the time, but here's a reference. Even if you only get to see a few heats it's fun. If I stumble across an events calendar I'll link to it.

Wed, 4/12 9:00 PM Worlds, day 1
Thurs, same time, day 2
Friday, same time, day 3 ... 8:00 Tour of Onan
Saturday at 6:00 PM, Day 4
Sunday at 7:00 PM, Day 5, last day
----
Wed 4/19, 9:00 PM, 10:00 PM Day 1 and 2 Worlds, repeat
Thurs, 9,10,11 PM Days 3,4,5 repeat

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -