HOMECLUBS | SPONSORS | FEATURESPHOTO GALLERYTTF DONORS | SHOP FOR GEAR

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

Indian-Pacific Wheel Race

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
Nick Payne

3/17/17 9:36 PM

Indian-Pacific Wheel Race

Started this morning - like RAAM but no support vehicles allowed. Event web site here: https://www.indianpacificwheelrace.com/

The route is on RWGPS here - the organisers seem to have attempted to make the route as hilly as possible, detouring to cross Australia's two biggest mountain ranges: https://ridewithgps.com/routes/18777910

Each rider has a GPS tracker, their locations can be viewed in real time here: https://indianpacificwheelrace.maprogress.com/

Reply to topic    

Nick Payne

3/22/17 4:32 AM

I've been following this event as I know one of the riders, who's a local from Canberra. At the age of 70 I thought that he'd be the oldest contestant, but no. There's actually a 74 year old rider: http://www.bicyclingaustralia.com.au/news/meet-paul-ardill-the-74-year-old-riding-the-indian-pacific-wheel-race

Reply to topic    

Marc N.

3/22/17 10:12 AM

Doing that at any age is impressive, but in your 70`s . Good for them !

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

Nick Payne

3/22/17 11:29 PM

What amazed me about the guy who's 74 is that he only took up cycling at age 65 after having a stroke and being told by his doctor to do some cycling to help restore his balance...I'd say he's well and truly managed that.

Reply to topic    

Nick Payne

3/28/17 12:35 AM

Well, the coverage of the race has been pretty good over here - even the mainstream media have taken some notice of it - helps that the tracking of riders on the web is pretty much real time, and quite a lot of them have (somehow) managed to keep posting occasionally on social media. Unfortunately for the competitors, although the leaders in the race have now covered over 3/4 of the distance, they still have a bit over half the total climbing to come - all the big climbs come in the final 25% of the course.

Based on progress so far, the first rider should be coming through here sometime late on Thursday.

Edit: I rolled down to Parliament House around 4pm to watch Kristof Allegaert pass through. He had a gaggle of riders following him, and didn't stop, just gave us a wave and kept riding. I chased and caught up at some traffic lights - photo below. He looks remarkably human for someone who's 5000km into a 5500km race and has just ridden the last 36 hours straight. The guy's a machine - when I look at the map, he's ridden about 650km across the mountains since yesterday morning - a total of around 8500m climbing - and that on the back of 4500km in the preceding 11 days. He's opened a 180km gap on Mike Hall by not stopping overnight, though they were neck and neck for much of yesterday.

Reply to topic    

Nick Payne

3/30/17 9:15 PM

Bad news this morning - Mike Hall, who was riding in 2nd place, was struck by a vehicle and killed about 30km south of here. Happened about half an hour before dawn, details as yet unknown. When Kristof Allegaert, who was about 200km ahead and only 200km from the finish, heard the news, he stopped and pulled out of the race, and the organisers put out an announcement shortly afterwards that the race had been cancelled.

Reply to topic    

daddy-o

3/31/17 10:08 AM

Really sad news but thanks for sharing. The race announcement and prior updates were appreciated and anticipated.

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

Brian Nystrom

3/31/17 11:20 AM

Wow, that's truly sad...

...on several levels.

Reply to topic    

dan emery

3/31/17 4:14 PM

Terrible

Truly awful.

I really respect the leader's decision to abandon. A powerful statement of respect for his colleague, and he didn't have to do that.

Reply to topic    

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -