Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

BYOB

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
Sparky

3/9/17 10:02 AM

BYOB

Bring Your Own Blanket.

Guy gets dropped off at LAX on his Hawaii flight for getting very pissed that no $12.00, no blanket.

12.00 Hawaiian Airlines?? ;)

EDIT: Apparently you have to pay 12.00 for a Blanket on that carrier

Last edited by Sparky on 3/9/17 10:37 PM; edited 1 time in total

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

Dave B

3/9/17 7:04 PM

??????

Dave B

3/9/17 7:04 PM

DP but the question is still there.

Last edited by Dave B on 3/9/17 7:05 PM; edited 1 time in total

ErikS
Location: Slowing boiling over in the steamy south, Global Warming is real

3/9/17 7:05 PM

The drinks might be cheap. LOL

Sparky

3/9/17 10:39 PM

You won't feel the cold if you drink enough. Are the drinks $12.00 as well is the question. ;)

I guess selling you a piece of fleece for 12.00 they don't have to clean them when they had them as an in flight service??

Dave B

3/10/17 7:46 AM

OK, now I understand. Welcome to the modern world of air travel and the real price of "cheap tickets".

daddy-o

3/10/17 9:04 AM

So in the end BYOB means Buy Your Own Blanket? Buy our blanket and make it your own, IOW.

BuY Our Blanket

I guess my next flight to Hawaii I'm wearing my pea coat.

dddd

3/10/17 10:19 PM

The minute that you walk into an airport, they've got you where they want you, about like how nowadays prisoners have their own account (which I assume they have to earn) with which they can buy their supplies from the privatized-monopoly commissary.
And, just like a prison, they strip you of any possible defensive weapons such as a nail clipper.
Better to drive if you can, less likely to catch an airborne illness or contact infection from that blanket you assume that they laundered...

Reply to topic    

April

3/11/17 2:23 AM

What other public transport provides free drinks and free blanket?

I think it's time for the flying public understand a plane is no different from a bus. It may get you to your destination faster but you're not getting there in style.

Sparky

3/11/17 2:41 AM

"What other public transport provides free drinks and free blanket?"

What other public transport has so much black ink?

Dave B

3/11/17 8:33 AM

quote:

I'm not happy about the way the flying public is treated either but April has a good point. The airlines are now "in the black" after years and years of red ink so there isn't a guarantee it will remain like it is. The next jump in fuel costs could turn it around rather quickly.

Also, what other public transport has the enormous capital, maintenance and operating costs? Busses run on public funded roads and railroads are mostly freight carriers with passenger service being a very minor part of their income.

daddy-o

3/11/17 11:10 AM

Busses run on public funded roads

Airplanes use air traffic controllers and public airports.

April

3/12/17 1:30 AM

quote:
railroads are mostly freight carriers with passenger service being a very minor part of their income.

In the US, that is.

The rest of the world travels on rails. (while Americans travels in airplanes)

Also, what other forms of public transport has the same safety record as the airline industry?

Compare to the rest of the world, we Americans demand to get to our destination quickly, safely and inexpensively. We want free blankets too?

daddy-o

3/12/17 9:28 AM

Remember this quip from the last time fuel prices were high?
"The best thing that could have happened to the airline industry is for the airplane to have never been invented."

no different from a bus. ...you're not getting there in style.
What about a bus is as stylish as lifting the passengers into the air? But point taken, in context.

$12.00 for a blanket like those in a charity mass-mailing for donations is another reminder of baggage fees.
With the Airline's logo, it may turn into "remind me to never fly Hawaiian again."

What's next, coin operated lavatories?
Fly Hawaiian, our exclusive SPAS take bills and credit cards!

Flying used to be more dangerous.
Amenities calmed the passengers.
A $12.00 blanket may arouse more than calm.

April

3/12/17 9:55 PM

Flying used to be expensive, a luxury item only the wealthy can afford. Blankets and pillows, free drinks and foods were all remnant of that era.

But that has changed due to the combination of deregulation, the introduction of the jumbo jet and the many airbus models that focus on efficient operation of the plane.

Nowadays, flying is strictly a ways to get from point A to point B at the quickest and least expensive way. When one gets on a bus or a train, one carries one's own food and drink. There're NO stewardess on a bus!

But there're some people who really haven't quite gotten past the age of free blankets.

Also, the image of air stewardess has long past their reality role. They should be renamed cabin safety crew, whose job is to check everyone has their seat-belt on, tray table folded up etc.(and in the unfortunate event of emergency landing, they're charged to do whatever necessary to herd the passengers out of the plane as quickly as possible!)

Of course, that's so totally unromantic the airline would never go down that route (and lose the advertising potential of the romance of flying). That's how we end up with the current disconnect between the "image" vs the reality.

Sparky

3/12/17 10:12 PM

"air stewardess"

Flight attendants is the current language. The few folks we know that do this lover it FWIW.

dan emery

3/13/17 10:00 AM

You can have it all

Luxurious seats that recline flat with no space worries, blankets (quilts), good food, unlimited drinks, hot towels, outlets for your electronics, barely see the other passengers, all included in the ticket price - fly business class! I've only done so once - when I went to Mallorca 2 years ago, and will do so again this year. I am miserable in cramped economy seats, international flights are even worse, and I decided I wasn't going to start and end a vacation with 10 hours of misery. With business class, you almost don't want the flight to end.

Of course, you pay out your a$$ but you just have to let that go....

BTW, there are also "first class" buses which are quite nice. One runs between Portland and Manhattan.

Reply to topic    

PLee

3/13/17 12:02 PM

And the new administration, despite pledging a $1 trillion infrastructure program, is trying to kill high speed rail, a mode of transportation widely available in other developed countries that rival airplanes for speed and convenience.

The only "high speed" train line in the US, the DC to Boston Acela, is an absolute joke.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

3/13/17 12:53 PM

We considered taking Amtrack with a sleeper room or roomette for a possible trip to SanFran/CA. The comfort and privacy seems attractive, more than the cost. ;) But the cost of hotels in SF on top of the train cost had us looking elsewhere. I do no want to do the painful air travel going and coming either.

The train seems a nice option instead of driving. West and wewaxsation instead of sitting in the car each way all day for two days and staying at a bedbug central motel. ;) Wonder if the Bedbugs like the sleeper cars too! ;O

So four days of driving, or reading and interneting and sleeping from start to stop each way. Still wanna try it. My PDX to Spokane Amtrack ride was pretty nice.

The roomette converts to two bunks for sleeping. And unlike looking out at the dark for my Spokane trip, I suspect the longer and daylight train travel hours ought to have some pretty nice views for the duration traversing the stretches betwixt cities...

April

3/15/17 11:43 PM

quote:
The only "high speed" train line in the US, the DC to Boston Acela, is an absolute joke.

The Acela has to share the track with all other kinds of trains. It's pretty hopeless.

It's like an interstate highway that allows ox-cart.

The US has become a 3rd world country in many aspects. Trump actually knows that better than many of his supporters. But I doubt he cares about the reality. He only believes whatever benefits him. So he won't tell his supporters he'll plunge the US further into the back water in those very areas.

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -