Reply to topic    

Sparky

3/8/17 10:17 PM

I think he may have won the stage...

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

dan emery

3/9/17 9:10 AM

That's awesome

And I'd love a translation of the call...

I name that dog "Jens"

Reply to topic    

ErikS
Location: Slowing boiling over in the steamy south, Global Warming is real

3/9/17 7:02 PM

Really amazing because dogs are not great endurance athletes. They overheat very easily.

dan emery

3/10/17 7:13 AM

All depends

>>Really amazing because dogs are not great endurance athletes. They overheat very easily.<<

Dogs differ. I've had mostly Dalmatians and Greyhounds. Dalmatians are indeed endurance athletes. The Dalmatian "event" is a 25 mile steeplechase where the dog accompanies a horse and rider over hill and dale. I've had Dals run along with me for 15 miles of iceskating and not even look tired.

Greyhounds OTOH are heat seeking missiles that sprint for about a quarter mile and then are ready to lie on the couch.

If you saw a Dalmatian run you would say she was fast. If you saw the Dal run with a 'hound you'd say the Dal has her feet stuck in cement...:)

Reply to topic    

Sparky

3/10/17 9:59 AM

Then there is always Sled dogs I guess.

daddy-o

3/10/17 10:55 AM

My old lab mix mutt cruises at 18 mph for her big loop. I wish I could take her off the leash but a hint of a deer and watch out woods, here she comes!

JohnC

3/10/17 1:16 PM

I'm in the middle of reading War and Peace , and a couple of days ago I read the wonderful wolf-hunting scene, in which there's a vivid description of the dogs - borzoi - running down and capturing the wolf. Apparently they have both the speed and stamina to run down wolves, foxes, rabbits, etc. They're built similar to greyhounds, but bigger, and of course with longer hair as they're adapted to a colder climate.

dan emery

3/10/17 3:01 PM

Hunting

Yeah, Borzois are sighthounds like Greyhounds. As are Irish Wolfhounds, Afghans, etc.

Greys also have a storied hunting history. In Medieval times there was a whole hierarchy of hunting dogs, Greyhounds being the finishers unleashed at the end of the hunt to take down the stag or whatever. Diana the Goddess of the Hunt is often pictured with Greyhounds at her feet.

There are medieval paintings and tapestries showing Greyhounds indistinguishable from the ones we owned.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

3/10/17 5:35 PM

My hounds when younger would run for 4-5 minutes then sleep for a few hours... Our last hound [Tiger], I have to help get up 1/2 the time to go out. Although somehow for food he goes solo, but it ain't pretty.

I gotta make a decision on Tiger soon. But his teeth/eyes/gums/appetite are still all great. We were told early on the IV to kill the tick born disease [larve] in his blood before we got him probably caused some brain damage. His back legs never seemed connected to brain quite well. And he only raced 7 times as compared to our big boy Benelli that had 138 races.

Tiger turned 12 last week, which is getting pretty old for a hound 30" at the shoulder. I have been picking him up and taking him in/out of the car when we travel for over a year now. He started splashing on the ground on solo attempts. Before that he shot right up in there in a blink.

Sigh...

Steve B.

3/10/17 7:02 PM

I recall this story,

http://www.runnersworld.com/running-with-dogs/hound-bandits-half-marathon-in-alabama

Reply to topic    

KerryIrons

3/11/17 9:49 AM

Coursing

Watch the coursing scene in the movie Snatch. You'll see some dog endurance. And then there are Saluki dogs.

Reply to topic    

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -