Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

9000.00 off Trek Emonda SLR10
 Goto page 1, 2  Next

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
Sparky

4/6/17 9:50 AM

9000.00 off Trek Emonda SLR10

Just got my weekly store coupon from the place we got the Madone frames from.

Trek Emonda SLR10

$5999.00 marked down from 14999.00.

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

dddd

4/6/17 11:14 AM

Makes it sound like Trek perhaps over-appreciated their top Emonda model and it's claim to be the lightest production bike(?).

Suddenly I want one!

You might be able to establish a cash value for your coupon, is it required that you be the purchaser, i.e. in person and perhaps frame your size?

And I guess that you're limited to what they have in stock at your store loc'n?

Reply to topic    

greglepore

4/6/17 11:48 AM

Yikes-imagine how you'd feel if you paid full retail a season ago.

Nevermind, those buying 15k bikes probably shrug it off.

Last edited by greglepore on 4/6/17 1:29 PM; edited 1 time in total

Sparky

4/6/17 11:51 AM

Limited to the store/chain. There is a link to see what store has what stock. I am sure they would bring it to your local store instead of you having to drudge across to the other side of towns outer most location etc.

Imagine how the folks that just paid even 13k discounted late 2016 will feel. Me, personally I do not want one functioning tool to be worth that kind of coin. If not for the tubular wheels some partING off pieces could make it more attractive perhaps. Or just clinchers. I'd be afraid it might blow away with a gust at the coffee stop. ;)

dddd

4/6/17 5:28 PM

I know the feeling, having bought a mostly XT-level ProFlex XC bike in July 1995 (it was a '96 model) for 1650.00 or so, then seeing the upgraded subsequent model being clearanced less than two years later for 599. I would (a few years later) sell that bike to my eldest brother for $400, and he would use it to take the Masters 50+ Sacramento Cyclocross championship on it!
Such was the market at the time, where the ProFlex 856 was the top seller for ONE year, followed by everyone else's newer designs the following year.

Now maybe it's the disc-brake fad that has left Trek with unsold inventory (most bike companies have been dealing with excess still-in-season inventory these last few years, then blowing them out earlier and earlier in the season).
The people with the money for one of these bikes may often-as-not choose to try the new-and-different, equally-expensive (and apparently now-UCI-legal) disc-braked and/or "gravel" options.

A friend just bought her SRAM RED Emonda with Project-One custom paint for a tick under 10k, then had a bit of a feud with the shop when it was unapologetically delivered with a quite-noticeable scratch in the paint, they apparently taking a stand by virtue of it's discounted price. To Trek's credit, when she finally went over the shop owner's head and notified them of the shop's attitude, they informed her that the bike had a one-year warranty on the custom paint job! She rides a LOT, the bike will need cables and other work within the year, so I told her to hold off and consider sending it in after the first season of riding, though I doubt that she will. I think her discomfort was more with the bike being delivered with the scratch and with no one telling her until she noticed it herself. The shop could have and should have apologized up front and offered her something like a riding kit or service credit, not left her to perhaps conclude that it was she who actually scratched the bike!

Last edited by dddd on 4/6/17 5:42 PM; edited 2 times in total

Reply to topic    

Sparky

4/6/17 5:34 PM

A lot of used gravel bike on the local craigslist here FWIW.

dddd

4/6/17 6:04 PM

Let me guess that the sellers are probably asking for about what a buyer could negotiate for a new one at a local shop(?).

That's gotta be a painful hit trying to sell a recent bike purchase, given the industry's ever-earlier and more-aggressive clearance offerings!

Best reason ever to buy used and try not to buy into the hottest fad.
I wanted to try the hot new 27.5+ wheel/tire size last year and ended up buying a serviceable one from WalMart Online, clearance priced at just $179 (down from $399) because it was a return from a closed store location and the box was quite tattered.
I would later invest in a new fork for another $175, and upgrade the chain, derailer and cockpit using older parts from my stash.

I gotta admit though, with these new "gravel" bikes that take big tires and weight very little (and have, er, disc brakes), that they have created something like the ultimate bike. I've rolled my own, using a steel sport-touring bike platform, but the bike ends up being too heavy for me to want to do any kind of club training ride on.

Reply to topic    

Jesus Saves

4/7/17 5:23 AM

Like depreciation on a new car, and nearly priced like one - albeit a bit more severe drop.

Reply to topic    

dan emery

4/7/17 7:18 AM

then look for a Domane RSL in a few months

If I buy something from a catalog place like Bean it's often on the next clearance sale list....

Seems to me if you buy a bike and like it, it's silly to get annoyed over future markdowns, hindsight is always 20-20.

I'd guess most people who will buy expensive bikes will want the latest, not last year's model (even though there's little or no functional difference), so I wouldn't find big markdowns surprising.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

4/7/17 9:33 AM

That Emonda has the one piece bar/stem setup I think. I wonder what accommodation they give for fit @ 9000.00 off. Or do you have to pluck down an extra 800.00 to get your cockpit fit?

greglepore

4/7/17 10:44 AM

I'm not sure about the one piece. Bontrager abandoned it shortly after introduction, citing qc issues. They've been knocked off in China for $75 rather than $500. I have a set on my Cannondale and they're pretty nice. The lightest option I've seen- 260g for the entire cockpit (There are a couple exotic setups that are lighter but nothing under say $400)

Sparky

4/7/17 11:20 AM

Sez: Handlebars Bontrager XXX integrated bar/stem

http://www.bikegallery.com/product/trek-emonda-slr-10-210359-1.htm

Brian Nystrom

4/8/17 10:24 AM

Here's an idea...

1- Order the bike online.

2- Specify that you do not want it assembled, that you prefer to do it yourself.

3- Pay Sparky a reasonable fee to pick up the bike, transport it to the nearest UPS depot and ship it to you.

If the shop won't allow it to be picked up in the box (Trek may not permit that), pay them to assemble it, check it, then re-pack it.

Considering the savings involved, another alternative would be to buy the bike online, fly to Portland to pick it up, then bring it back on the plane.

BTW, read the third review on the shop's website, it's hilarious!

Reply to topic    

dddd

4/8/17 10:45 AM

Wow, I had no idea that the coupon price was for anyone, no need to be a Trek owner or previous customer of the shop.
Tune carbon 820g tubular wheels and Vittoria Chrono tires, made for "special event" only?
I couldn't find a stem length specification, the 58cm frame would be the only remaining size that would fit me, their 56cm comes up short on reach anyway and there is/was no 57cm.

Looking it over, I couldn't figure out how it could be made any lighter, that's frustrating for a tinkerer. Half the fun of my recent (used, $500) Scott CR1 purchase was in changing the wheels to Carbones, the crank to a double and the calipers to Ciamillo superlights. It's now at high 16# weight with mostly 6600 gruppo, D-A 9000 pedals, GP4000 tires and a ~260g saddle.
And of all the tricks that they have come up with for adding compliance to road bikes, I still think that a softer saddle and plumper, softer tires are near the top choices to achieve that, though this bike's superlight remaining parts are almost certainly more compliant than average.
Not having disc brakes means the fork can be tuned as desired for ride quality, though in today's market it still needs to be supportive of a 200+ pound rider's efforts.

As a 138lb rider, I need this bike. :-)

Reply to topic    

Brian Nystrom

4/8/17 1:29 PM

If I bought one, the first thing I would do...

...is sell the wheels, saddle and bar/stem and replace them with more practical parts, resulting in a durable 12-13 pound bike. My net cost would likely be around $4000.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

4/8/17 2:07 PM

It can only get picked up by the cc card holder if paid for that way...

Brian Nystrom

4/8/17 2:29 PM

I just noticed that

So, I guess it all comes down to how much people are willing to trust you, Sparky... ;-)

FWIW, I found flights from Boston to PDX for under $300 round-trip, next weekend.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

4/8/17 2:46 PM

I'll take you for some food if you do it... help get it boxed for the trip home.

Brian Nystrom

4/8/17 4:45 PM

As crazy as it sounds...

...Linda is actually thinking about it, as it looks like the 50cm would fit her. They have them listed as "Coming soon", so perhaps we'll contact them about when they expect them to arrive.

Unfortunately, they don't provide specs on the length of the cranks and bar/stem for a given frame size. Perhaps the custom shop would have that information.

I noticed that the current top-end version of the bike with Red Etap, Bontrager wheels and a real saddle is 11 grand now, though it has ballooned up to almost 12 pounds <gasp>. So although the 2016 is still a steal, it's not as insane of a deal as it seems.

Reply to topic    

Brian Nystrom

4/9/17 10:19 AM

For those of you with Madones and Domanes...

...is it possible to trim the seat mast and/or seat mast cap to reduce the minimum saddle height?

Reply to topic    

Sparky

4/9/17 10:33 AM

"possible to trim the seat mast and/or seat mast cap to reduce the minimum saddle height?"

Sez do not cut on them FWIW. If new purchase certainly will void the warranty.

My extrapolations as follows:

But they make both 135mm and 175mm mast toppers. I read that when you look at the GEOM, the bottom of the 10CM saddle height range is the 135, and the top 5CM is the w/the 175 topper.

Also saw a page with a DIY Topper someone made. Also, I think the mast diameter is 30.25mm. I intend to see how my 30.25 Ritchey toppers from the Scott might work. But suspect even the longer one will be short of the minimum insertion mark.

But I will say the Trek topper WILL have a larger usable range than the Ritchey topper. I have 50mm and 70mm for the Scott. I looked into it extensively when I made the offer on the Team Classics frame which had no topper included.

Sparky

4/9/17 10:46 AM

Brian,

Did you see the SLR 8 $2500.00 off @ $5k. Shows 50CM available in H1 and H2 and is 700 Series OCLV [US made I believe] Normal bars/stem cfg.

Cabled 11 speed Dura ace with tubeless ready clinchers and the very cool RED, if ya like that RED. I personally do. Although in Matte not Gloss.

I think the Elite wheels are the next step up + $300 over what Dan decided on for his Red Sled.

http://www.bikegallery.com/product/trek-emonda-slr-8-232287-1.htm

Huge pic here: http://www.trekbicyclesuperstore.com/images/library/zoom/trek-emonda-slr-8-copy-232287-1.jpg

stan

4/9/17 12:10 PM

Treks website has it priced at $10,995 which is down $4,000. Strange.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

4/9/17 12:23 PM

"down $4,000. Strange"

I think it got mentioned, 2016 VS 2017. The 2017 has lower MSRP? Question is is the 2017 the 700 series and bar/stem and wheels at same price point.

Brian Nystrom

4/9/17 3:13 PM

There are different price on the Trek and Bike Gallery sites

The discounted price on the 2016 SLR10 on the Trek site is $8999.99, $3K more than Bike Gallery's price. I suspect that they're dumping these out to dealers for ~$5K and giving them a chance to make a nice profit even at a deeply discounted retail price.

As for the SLR8, the price is the same on both sites, so I bet that I could get it for that at a local dealer. Even beyond the seat mast complication, there's another issue. Linda needs the H1 fit in order to get the bars low enough, but it comes with 53/39 chainrings instead of the compact gearing that's on the H2. This makes sense from a market standpoint, but it's not what Linda needs. Otherwise, the bike has much more sensible spec than the SLR10.

Reply to topic    

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -