Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

Dan's non excellent adventure
 Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
Brian Nystrom

3/1/17 12:52 PM

1 crutch or 2?

With my hip injury, the doc had me go from 2 crutches to one (opposite the injured leg), which allowed a controllable degree of weight bearing. I did eventually switch to a cane (cobbled together from crutch parts), but only used it for a week until I was able to walk without it.

There's a certain point in the healing process where you seem to turn a corner and healing seems to happen more rapidly. I suppose that's at the point where the major vascular and bone reconstruction is done and it's mostly just calcification taking place.

Regardless, it seems that you're progressing well, which is the only thing that really matters.

Reply to topic    

dddd

3/1/17 1:16 PM

With these bone injuries, you might be able to ride pain-free until the first sign of pain, and then it's too late.
Re-fracturing to even a partial degree impedes the restoration of critical circulatory networks, which are needed for healthy bones. In the worst case, bone necrosis could result from using less-than-healed bones for weight bearing.
So that is why doctors advise generous caution and generous healing periods, as there is always some uncertainty as to the particular injury's rate of repair.

Other times, later in the recovery period, such pains are encountred but can be necessary thresholds that need to be crossed, as various healing tissues (including bone) need some actual stress-relieving during the final stage of healing, in order to be able to sustain load through a more uniformly-stress load path. I went through that, working out the pains, when I reacquainted myself with the act of running, around six months after my hip fracture in '93.

Reply to topic    

dan emery

3/1/17 1:41 PM

2 crutches

The Doc indicated that he felt if you're only supporting one side, at some point you're putting on too much weight (in my case anyway). I've fiddled around and I don't think one crutch is that different from a cane. FWIW, I felt I could walk fine with the cane, but I'm not the ultimate arbiter. My orders are to start with about 60 lbs (get the feel from pressing down on a scale) and work up.

As to being a stubborn lot, I think Docs pick up on that. He said "To be sane about this, which you won't be..." At another point I said I wasn't having any pain and he said "but I don't think you're normal."

But yes, I think it's coming along as well as it could, and I'm very grateful for that. I got more insight today on what a mess it was, and I'm going to be compliant.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

3/1/17 2:54 PM

At another point I said I wasn't having any pain and he said "but I don't think you're normal."

Translation, "yeah right" ;)

Or "I'll decide how much pain is likely this far out, even if it is within your threshold." ["you lunatic"] Then asks if he said that out loud. ;)

"I'm going to be compliant."

Beldar Conehead: Uh-huh. And let me know when Elvis gets here.

Last edited by Sparky on 3/2/17 10:17 AM; edited 1 time in total

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

rickhardy
Location: Needham outside of Boston - the hub of the universe

3/2/17 6:53 AM

Dan Listen to the docs

Or we send over Kathy Bates:

Reply to topic    

dan emery

3/2/17 10:25 AM

pedaled a bit

Can't really call it spinning at the cadence I was at, but I turned the pedals for about 10 minutes yesterday. Only issue was muscle pain just above the knee - I don't think that's directly related to the fracture, but probably the effects of surgery. It wasn't stiffness or limitation of motion, just twinges of pain. Hopefully that calms down as otherwise I felt I could pedal OK. This will be a process, though.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

3/2/17 10:29 AM

Pain? like 4/10 or 8/10?? etc? And is your 4/10 we mortal's 8/10? ;)

dan emery

3/2/17 1:49 PM

Pain

I dunno about numbers, I could pedal with it and hope that it backed off, but didn't want to pedal with it very long. Kind of like pedaling with a knee glitch - you can do it but it's no fun.

I'll try tonite but if it's still there I'll shut it down.

That area of muscles also protested in some of the rehab exercises to get back knee range of motion. I'll get more PT in a couple weeks, maybe it will address that.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

3/2/17 2:10 PM

I used my Aleve Tens device on my right calf after a few too many hill sprints out of the saddle the other day. It helped, but seemed like it was not really designed for such big muscle penetration. It works on my lower back super duper though .

Sparky

3/3/17 4:46 PM

So I mail Dan a little get well smiley parcel to Maine, and some of the best decaf coffee on the planet to Los Angles from PDX on Tues.

Coffee was 14 oz in the box and cost twice as much as Dan's lighter trinket in same size box. Dans landed in Maine today, Coffee scheduled to land Monday in LA.

Well, alrighty then...

dan emery

3/3/17 10:39 PM

Thanks Spark!

Spark sent me a perfect little token, an official Jens Voigt "Shut Up Legs" baseball hat. Some may remember I got to do a 2 day ride with Jens in the fall, plus I wear a baseball hat nearly every day and this moves to the top of the rotation. Very thouhghtful, and Spark could consider a career as a personal shopper. The hat contains another signature phrase "What I tell you it's only pain." Put a smile on my face as soon as I opened it.

Meanwhile I'm making progress riding. Did 20 minutes yesterday, 30 today and he muscle pain is down to where I'd call it more a twinge than pain. Still very low power, but I was able to roll it pretty well today. Actually worked up enough sweat to take a shower (ha ha with my sliding seat transfer bench). I think the pedaling is good overall therapy.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

3/4/17 12:11 AM

Consider it from all of your fellow TTFers. ;)

I of course got one for myself. And a nice wicking beanie for under the helmet and under 50^ too. ;)

I didn't even realize the bias tape inside had more #thejensies printed on it. Reading glasses notwithstanding..

dan emery

3/4/17 5:18 AM

Dp ignore

nm

Reply to topic    

Sparky

3/4/17 10:30 AM

Dan, when you did the ride along side Jens and then bought the Trek/Safaree Team paint Domane, we all figured you drank the cool aide.

Moving the 'Shut Up Legs' hat to the front of the queue now, I guess you drank a whole gallon. ;)

dan emery

3/6/17 2:31 PM

pedaling away

I'm pretty happy with how indoor riding is going. Yesterday I rode 45 minutes pain free, then felt some muscle twinges and stopped. Still minimal power, but I rode around 90 rpm with a normal pedal stroke. Better than I expected at this point.

I notice that a few hours after riding, some quad muscles are sore, particularly with activities like lifting the leg (left) to get into a car. But then that soreness goes away by the next day. So it's a balancing act, but I'm going to take today off to be on the safe side, though I'd much rather ride as I really enjoy the sessions. At the low power I don't get tired at all.

To Sparky's comment, yes I am a Jens fanboy, but the hat is cool on its own.

Reply to topic    

daddy-o

3/6/17 4:09 PM

90 RPM is darn good stress.

I know this parish is full of believers and 90 RPM is normal, but these are the .1%'ers.

Well done!

Consider it a hard day.

You officially have a broken leg. Alternate hard days and easy days. "This Leg Climbed Mt. Washington" </tattoo>

dan emery

3/12/17 3:30 PM

Cycletherapy

Never would have thought I could look so forward to riding a trainer. It's going pretty well, rode an hour and 10 minutes today, up around 90 rpm once I warmed up, my legs actually came alive near the end of the ride and I added a few watts (still very low). Felt great that I could actually ride heard enough to sweat, breathe deeply and get tired. Quite an improvement from 10 days ago when I quit after 10 minutes due to muscle pain. Interesting process, hard to tell what's the best thing to do, just play it by ear. Otherwise the leg feels good. This teaches me how much I love to ride.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

3/12/17 7:12 PM

BooYah! [For Dan]

------------
Will add a BooYah for me if the deal happens...

EDIT: Dude made a counter offer, I agreed to it and then he stopped responding. So either got hit my a truck of just douched out. eBay deal, so unlike a craigslist deal I was not leaning douched out...

Made an offer on a backup race frameset. Just like the Addict was when I got it. Something ridden/used a few times only.

A Jens Signed 2014 Team Radio Shack RSL geometry Domane. One of the 250 Team Frames made for 2014.
Long and low and 75mm BB Drop too. Supposedly fits 30-32mm tires too. Looks like the Addict Di2 will be short lived. ;)

Last edited by Sparky on 3/24/17 9:12 AM; edited 1 time in total

Sparky

3/18/17 10:16 AM

Trek Dealer eMails offerings

2016 5.9 Di2 Domane for $3499.00. They have 58/60/62s left in endurance H2 Geom. 1400.00 off orig price.

That is a smoking deal for someone looking. Local pickup only though... But I bet the Trek superstore has them too.

dan emery

3/22/17 5:20 PM

Small cycling world

Saw the surgeon today, all is good, x-ray looks great, I should use the cane for a week or two and then can experiment walking unassisted. I'll talk to him again in 3 weeks and hopefully get released to ride on the road, giving me two weeks to prep for Mallorca.

But the funny thing was, he had been to the bike shop for a tuneup, the owner knew he'd done my surgery and showed him the Domane, mentioned the trip to Mallorca, etc. So at least he knows I have a nice bike waiting for me!

Last edited by dan emery on 3/23/17 6:54 AM; edited 1 time in total

Reply to topic    

henoch

3/23/17 6:49 AM

Glad to hear that the recovery is going well.

Reply to topic    

dan emery

3/25/17 11:22 AM

Got bike

Got the RSL Domane today. Rode it on the trainer at the LBS, went through fitting with the owner (who still uses the Fit Kit from the '70s). Just set seat height and tilted the handlebars very slightly upward. The 58 with 120 stem feels great. The bar height with the spacers feels good (don't want it any lower), I'll know that better after a few hours on the road but I don't expect to need to raise it. Basically, it's about the same fit as the Sachs.

Another couple weeks until I'm allowed to ride on the road, can't wait. Meanwhile, on the trainer the leg feels increasingly solid, meaning it's weak but doesn't feel like I'm going to hurt it by riding relatively high power or cadence.

I'll send Spark a pic of the bike for possible posting.

Reply to topic    

dan emery

3/25/17 11:36 AM

Dp ignore

nm

Reply to topic    

Tom Price

3/25/17 11:58 AM

Congrats!

NM

Sparky

3/25/17 1:37 PM

Fanfookin-tastic!

Where did you wind up with spacers under the stem with that RSL H1 head tube? More carbon steerer to flex could be a good thing IMO. There, I said it. I only ask as I still am on the hunt, more so with the Classics deal having fallen through.

Pretty Sweet looking IMO. Wonder when we will get wireless brakes. [insert Muttley snickering gif here]

Last edited by Sparky on 3/25/17 5:01 PM; edited 2 times in total

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next  
Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -