HOMECLUBS | SPONSORS | FEATURESPHOTO GALLERYTTF DONORS | SHOP FOR GEAR

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

Damn STRAVA KOM monkeys...

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
Sparky

7/11/15 2:40 PM

Damn STRAVA KOM monkeys...

So I am in about mile 40 yesterday on the return. I passed this KOM monger [I realized afterwards] resting at the beginning of a known segment as I TT arms on the bars happily @ 20-1 MPH shooting for a good average for the 55 mile ride.

Well KOM monger goes by me like I pulled into a vacant parking lot, and purposefully makes it a close fly by. Like to see him do it if he was riding along for the first 40... If I was not taking it easy on my knee since last week, [and not already at the bottom of zone 4] [and not a fat old fart] I could have pulled an out of the saddle sprint and sat down as I rolled by. ;)

Coulda/shoulda/woulda...

but last time I did that, the guy whet back by me when i got up off the bars. ;(

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

ErikS
Location: Slowing boiling over in the steamy south, Global Warming is real

7/12/15 8:25 PM

the 2 local horses always ride the route that includes the segments. I just get them as part of hard ride or don't get them at all. I don't have but one or two these days. Though in my area the segments are not duplicated nor are there a billion of them.

walter

7/13/15 7:22 AM

dude...LET IT GO

just do your ride, who gives a rats-ass about some KOM-hunting douchbag?!

Sparky

7/13/15 9:03 AM

Like I said, a little closer of a fly by than was needed. Like he was pretend racing.. ;)

daddy-o

7/13/15 9:41 AM

allez allez allez
go man go

cheer him on, it will be a surprise

If you need to say something about his brushback, you can catch him, say something like 'not everyone handles a bike as well as I do, take it easy,' tell him have a good ride and settle back in, call it fartlek.

While you're there get his strava handle and tell him you'll be tracking him, I dunno.

The thing to me is we're all up against the traffic, one for all, all for one, like that. Maybe a good word from an experienced pair of legs will help cure him of being such a DB!

daddy-o

7/13/15 9:49 AM

KOM=

King of Minions!

Sparky

7/13/15 10:47 AM

"Maybe a good word from an experienced pair of legs will help cure him of being such a DB!"

Agreed, probably best path. Except after 40 miles of the pace I was doing, and more importantly I had taken off a few days as my right knee was being pissy.. There was no way I was going to catch him to say anything. ;O

If I was on my Scott and not had the cantankerous knee going on, I would have done a fly by. Or at least tried. ;) My right knee since the 2006 Tib/fib Plateau fractures is not nor will ever be 100% most probably. Happy to be in the 90%s. ;)

On the knee, I have been getting a good low aero position on the road bike the last few weeks. I am thinking in that position I am getting my hips too far behind the BB. I have not ridden this aero in quite a long while, and suprised I am getting my fats ars so low frankly. So I have some work to do to sort the position out apparently. I must be giving up power too if my levers are at issue with the leverage changes. So gains by being less of a sail, and possibly loosing power.

Got a longer saddle, but sliding back give more setback. So need to finds a middle point for saddle height on the 72.5 STA frames. Or get out on the Blade again, maybe it is time...

Sparky

7/17/15 10:54 AM

Good day on the bike yesterday. Being cooler I am sure helped the furnace that I am.

Not a KOM monkey this time, but a monkey of sorts. Going outbound I saw a guy almost doing a track stand as I approached on the top of a roller. I realized as I got close he was waiting for me sprint past me which he did. But I got on his wheel and then around and said nice weatha yada. And pulled away realizing he was not going to keep that pace, wave ciao.

So I go the last 2 miles to the end/turn back, that last mile a 3-4% descent. Fill bottles, use tha b-room etc. He does not go to the end. I actually dislike having to start back up with that 1 mile slight climb after stopping for too long. ;)

As I get rolling @ that 1 mile again high point, I see him there I realized waiting for whom ever, maybe me?? slow rolling...

So as I approach he sprints to get with and then past me. So I do the same thing and pass back after he goes by. He lets me out and then tries to blow past me with a running start. I guess I was doing 19-20 arms on the bars when I saw him in my mirror. Took me untill he just went by to get to the drops and pop a few gears and go out of the saddle effort. That old steel 753 bike did a lot better than I thought it might, as I had not put that many watts into it to that point.

So I slowed about 1/4 mile ahead to recover and this time he rolled along side of me.
I had recovered about 20+ on the HRM, and we started chatting for a few miles. I guess some sizing up thing or something.

He was an older guy, with plenty of power, more weight, and less fitness than me. At least he was on an old OCVL and mot some chi chi Tarmac. ;)

So it leaves me feeling fast for the day, when really I was just faster than one guy. ;)

dan emery

7/17/15 12:38 PM

perfect pass

Well I don't try to outsprint guys who pass me, but I had a good pass this morning.

I was on my 34 pound commuter bike (Rohloff, generator lights, 2 big Carradice bags), in my most dapper commuter kit - performance sport coat, dress shirt, pants, Truk shoes. I was pedaling fairly briskly just to see how my legs felt - century on Sunday. I came up on 4 guys on road bikes in lycra kit, and I was going faster than they, so I just pulled out and rolled past, saying hi on the way. It meant absolutely nothing as they were just diddling along, but it was fun nonetheless. They didn't try to pass me back.

Reply to topic    

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -