Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

Asked to present at the library STEM
 Goto page Previous  1, 2

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
ErikS
Location: Slowing boiling over in the steamy south, Global Warming is real

6/11/15 12:02 PM

Kinda tough to take a laptop and 1.5 meter long telescope to the lecture on my bike.

My presentation style for this lecture will be more along the lines of Sagan and Tyson.

@rick

Much of the linked video was lifted from a program found on H2 called "The Universe". I am very familiar with it and often turn it on when I can't sleep, the lack of laugh tracks and loud interruptions I find relaxing. I watch it on Netflix and The History Channel's Apple TV app.

My wife saw the very episode with me a few days ago and looked at me wide eyed and said "I had no idea that stars where that big."

I will assure you that I will use Sagan's famous words about more stars in sky than grains of sand on all the beaches on the entire planet as part of my lecture. Which I said to my wife as we sat on the beach in Charleston a few weekends ago. I scooped up a handful of sand and poured it in her open hand and told her that line. She looked at me and said, "After all these years I am finally getting to know who you really are and I love him."

Y'all can all collectively go "Awe" now.

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

daddy-o

6/11/15 5:12 PM

To me limiting the age of the universe to several thousand years diminishes God. A simple demonstration like that expands Him.

dddd

6/12/15 12:38 PM

Without taking any definitive "side" to any "controversy" that might pop up (be introduced) during an astronomy info-tainment lecture, I would at least hope to be able to diffuse any such controversy by stating that such "controversy" in the present context has no doubt been created primarily to keep people divided along yet another set of beliefs.
And "best to believe those who make sense".

Reply to topic    

Sparky

6/12/15 1:20 PM

"stating that such "controversy" in the present context has no doubt been created primarily to keep people divided along yet another set of beliefs."

"And that is not the purpose for this discussion or this expansion of knowledge today"... moving on...

I am betting Erik can handle any/all curve and spit balls that may come his way...

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Goto page Previous  1, 2  
Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -