HOMECLUBS | SPONSORS | FEATURESPHOTO GALLERYTTF DONORS | SHOP FOR GEAR

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

RIP Jobst Brandt

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
Sparky

5/6/15 1:55 PM

RIP Jobst Brandt

Apparently He And Sheldon are jawing on the same plane again...

I hate doing the so and so RIP thing. Swore each time our parents would do it I would never...

oh well...

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

Nick Payne

5/6/15 4:26 PM

I've always liked this photo of him cornering - I think it was for a tyre ad:

Reply to topic    

dfcas

5/6/15 5:03 PM

I have his book and used it to learn to build wheels. RIP

stan

5/6/15 5:22 PM

Picture

Thanks for posting that. I don't think I've seen his picture before despite reading lots of things he wrote.

What a super endorsement for a tire!

Reply to topic    

daddy-o

5/6/15 5:59 PM

How tall was he?

That's a huge head tube, like for a 27" bike.

I seem to recall the photo was for Avocet tires, ca. 1977.

Steve B.

5/6/15 6:03 PM

Back in the good old days, he would write up his trip report of his annual Alps ride.

It inspired me to no end, great stuff.

I was saddened to read on the Velonews link that due to injuries and illness he had not ridden in 4 years. Sad thought to be so immersed in cycling and to not be able to continue a passion.

No doubt he was a cantankerous SOB (as I recall from some of his typical posts) that earned that title, but then he was usually right. Still is about a lot of things related to wheels that spin. I well recall that I paid attention when he and Sheldon chimed in on a subject.

RIP Jobst, you will be missed.

Reply to topic    

daddy-o

5/6/15 6:29 PM

The Argument

Has anyone come up with conclusive evidence against Brandt's analysis of "spoke in tension" type wheel construction?

I buy into his analysis absolutely, if for no other reason by the utmost simplicity of his proof.

I'm also being vague because of the vehemence of the arguments his analysis stirred.

If you do not know what I am writing about, read his book "The Bicycle Wheel."

Pat Clancy

5/6/15 9:42 PM

So long Jobst

I also bought his book - more out of respect than actual understanding. I pretty much stopped reading R.B.T. after his accident and Sheldon's passing.

Dave B

5/7/15 6:48 AM

I also have his book and concluded his description of how a bicycle wheel is supported (stands on vs hangs from the spokes) to be more a matter of semantics than physics. In any event, the wheel works no matter how you visualize the "support".

I'm sorry to read of his passing and I also recall the photo Nick posted was from an Avocet tire ad.

Doug

5/7/15 10:50 AM

RIP Jobst

I had the opportunity to attend 2 of his "talks" on wheels at Palo Alto Cyclery back in the late 90's. I was taken aback at first by his shortness in his responses to questions, but, more often than not, he was spot on. I happened to purchase his book as I was just starting to build my own wheels; he was nearby and offered to autograph it. I took the book down from the bookcase yesterday after seeing the announcement of his passing on the BRAIN news feed. Started re-reading it again last night....

The posted photo is from an Avocet tire advert; the owner of Palo Alto Cyclery also owned Avocet at the time.
YMMV
-dg

Reply to topic    

sandiway

5/7/15 12:06 PM

He fought the good fight against lore and european tradition. I really enjoyed rec. bicycles.* He had no patience for those who espoused tied spokes, tread patterns on tires, or incorrect ways of leaning into a turn etc. He was rude to them. And he was always right about the physics.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

5/7/15 12:39 PM

"And he was always right about the physics."

The usual genius socialization conundrums perhaps. ;)

Brian Nystrom

5/8/15 5:39 AM

I had some interesting online conversations...

...with him years ago. He was generally rude, cantankerous and correct...in short, everything I aspire to be. ;-)

RIP Jobst; I'll think of you every time I build a wheel.

Reply to topic    

Jesus Saves

5/9/15 5:44 AM

I built my first set of wheels reading his book. I also enjoyed his rec bike Usenet posts.

Rumor has it that he has a love child, Sheldon Cooper, named after his good friend Sheldon Brown.

Reply to topic    

equinoxranch

5/11/15 9:18 PM

Daddy-O.................

To answer your question........... No, only some new age dilettante who knows nothing would - of course - refute what Brandt knew, what he was taught and proven as handed down by "the masters".

Over the past three decades, especially the past two as you v. well know there has been such a righteous push to throw out all proven standards regarding bicycles, wheels and the like and concoct all this nouveau trendoid nonsense. There is no substitute for strength and that which is proven but, alas, same is heresy in this righteous nouveau world where lighter and stiffer, oh, I almost forgot, "aerodynamic" is all the myopic rage.

Of the three or four times I saw him I would peg him around 6'8" or so. He was tall.

Reply to topic    

Brian Nystrom

5/12/15 5:38 AM

Excuse me...

What planet do you live on?

Reply to topic    

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -