HOMECLUBS | SPONSORS | FEATURESPHOTO GALLERYTTF DONORS | SHOP FOR GEAR

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

Sky Pinerello F8 [BB spec]

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
Sparky

3/26/15 10:23 AM

Sky Pinerello F8 [BB spec]

One anachronistic detail is the use of an Italian-threaded bottom bracket. Pinarello says Sky’s mechanics requested a threaded system for maintenance and reliability purposes. As for Italian versus British threading, Pinarello says (we’re not making this up) Italian is stiffer.

http://www.bicycling.com/bikes-gear/bikes-and-gear-features/first-ride-pinarello-dogma-f8/page/0/1#

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

RCoapman

3/26/15 10:24 AM

But is it more compliant?

Reply to topic    

Sparky

3/26/15 10:28 AM

'anachronistic', does seem a little on the archaic side.

I am also going with 'Threaded' on the Strong frame Carl is designing for me.

dfcas

3/26/15 10:29 AM

They probably don't have a rider over 150 LBs, so I doubt it matters. I wonder if the cycling world will return to the threaded BB standard? All my bikes are threaded, and if I ordered/bought something new I would want threaded.

Sparky- what BB standard are you gonne get on your Strong?

You are a Jedi. Answered my question before I asked.

Sparky

3/26/15 10:45 AM

I had some OSBB annoyance with the Roubax SL4 I can tell you. In the end I resolved by adding some silicon O-rings into the system, very small diameter ones.

The SL4 comes with Wheels Manufacturing OSBB to 24mm Adapters. Eliminating noises resonating in an amplified state via the carbon speaker [read: frame] was a challenge. I understand the Spesh spec without the adapters also has this perpensity.

The Internets is chock full of crap about it and the 100.00 Praxis solution. Throwing $ and weight at the problem was not something I was willing to do. [Yet]

Almost as annoying as the pops and clicks is how in threads I am assured the solution I have employed won't and can't work. Even though it has been working perfectly for 6 months now.

Needless to say, I have never had an issue with threaded in function. And in fact have a BB re-threaded to ITey as a recovery to bad wrenching on an English threaded one. A little extra meat in the EN allows for this. For the record I got it like that. ;)

KerryIrons

3/26/15 7:14 PM

Another experience

Couldn't agree more about threaded BBs but unfortunately that horse is out of the barn, down the road, and over the hill. My new bike has a BB30 with the Praxis inserts for a Campy Chorus Ultra Torque BB. Only a couple of hundred miles so far but it's dead quiet. Greased all threads and contact surfaces before assembly.

The Campy BB bearing sets do have pretty stiff seals but I doubt is has any effect when rolling down the road and no doubt will run in after 1K miles or so. It is unnerving to feel that BB resistance when I've been using Campy square taper BBs for the past 42 years.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

3/26/15 7:42 PM

Kerry, we never did see that new sled, did we?

ErikS
Location: Slowing boiling over in the steamy south, Global Warming is real

3/27/15 4:07 PM

BB die quickly these days and they are disposable. Threaded just makes sense to me.

I have killed two in my Cervelo by riding is crappy weather. I can't imagine a MTB with press fit, damn stupid if you ask me.

Threaded BBs are cheap and now that I was gifted the proper tool by a fellow forum member, only take about 20 minutes to swap.

KerryIrons

3/28/15 7:30 PM

Photos

quote:
Kerry, we never did see that new sled, did we?

One of these days I have to get around to taking and posting a picture. One of these days.

Reply to topic    

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -