HOMECLUBS | SPONSORS | FEATURESPHOTO GALLERYTTF DONORS | SHOP FOR GEAR

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

Started my path down the dark side. Di2 Ultegra

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
Sparky

2/9/15 8:54 PM

Started my path down the dark side. Di2 Ultegra

jensonusa: Di2 Ultegra ST-6770 Shift Levers $99.00 shipped.

Thought I'd mention it in case anyone else feels the influence of the dark side...

[ST-6770 are two port, 6870 three port as I understand it]

http://www.jensonusa.com/Shimano-Di2-Ultegra-ST-6770-Shift-Levers

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

dfcas

2/9/15 8:59 PM

What do the ports do?

Sparky

2/9/15 9:14 PM

I bet that is a really good question.

Channels as I understand it. Not going to try make claims as to knowledge about them at this point. I am about to get educated as I do this. So now is not the time for me to attempt to explain any of it.

But I think it mean the 6770 does not support the Sprint shifters without the 3rd port on the STI..

Still learning/reading....

from here mainly: http://carltonbale.com/shimano-di2-everything-you-need-to-know/

Sparky

2/9/15 11:23 PM

Someone that knows [seems to] answered my question to clearly the ports. I asked if the 2 VS 3 just mean you can not use the remote sprinters, answer as follows:

"Basically.

But I found a way around it really easily.

You can setup a climbing switch, but that leaves no room for a sprinting switch as well. Unless of course you switch over to the new junction A system that hangs under the stem. They have a 3 port and a 5 port box. You can just run a 5 port box and plug the climbing shifters into it and have the sprinting shifters plug into the levers.

So really it's not that much of an issue and can be worked around. "

But sounds like if you do the 5 port you will have more cable running to the junction box out from under the tape instead of to the shifters staying under the tape.

greglepore

2/10/15 7:05 AM

More than that. They only sorta know. 6770 has only 2 ports,yes but can only use climbing switch, ever.

Sprint shifters require a canbus "chip" which is built into the 6870 levers but not into the 6770. The climbing shifter has the chip in the switch. Its in part why 6770 levers are cheap now. 99 bucks is less than replacement cost for the paddles.

Rear mech determines 10 or 11 speeds, but you cannot mix 6870 front and rear derailleurs with current firmware, derailleurs must match. Big issue for those of us staying 10, as rear 6770 derailleurs are out of production and only available on ebay.

Please do internal battery, the laptop accessibility alone is worth it.

Timely post, I've been on 6770 for 18 months and love it. Sunday, on my first outdoor ride in a month, 2/3's of the way thru a 3 hr hill loop the system just quit. Not a low battery, it'll stop front shifting well before rear if battery gets critically low. Bad news was I was downhill in 53 x15 when it died, luckily only one big hill to go, but urban Philly bikepath/bikelane for the last 8 miles was a drag in the big gear, as were intersections :). Battery won't charge, believe it to have failed well short of expected life. Still, all in all I'll never look back.

dddd

2/11/15 1:07 PM

Bummer to hear of such failure.

As for the low-priced levers, the levers are pretty much a hollowed-out STI lever, and even those pieces of wire cost more than than $100, so I don't see such a bargain here when the build is completed.

The 10s Ultegra DI2 gruppo is not fetching much money now, nor are the leftover bikes with this gruppo.
Seems that the bulky appearance and only 10 speeds has pushed prices WAY down.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

2/11/15 1:50 PM

"As for the low-priced levers, so I don't see such a bargain here when the build is completed. "

I think this is spot on. Not because they are hollowed out STIs or anything. But, more about when the build is complete/cost. Merlin/Ribble/PBK price on the 6870 controllers is 215.00 ish US. The yen is helping this along pretty much.

I am going to list/flip these on Craigslist when they get here and just do a up a total 6870 set probably. The nickel and dime-ing on the cables, connectors and sundries ala cart would eat that savings up and more.

If I can grab some 10 speed Di2 derailleurs used/cheapish before someone buys the 6770s I may go forward looking for the rest. Folks are loosing the 10s in favor of 11s and the DRs are starting to come up used with some frequency.

Just like the 6770 shifters, the other parts may well come up for high discounts as well. The 6870 use different plugs for remote and the spec is changing I believe. Brain parts housed in different places, wireless communication etc etc.

If I do decide to re-custom paint up the Addict I will probably just order an entire Di2 6870 for 1200.00 and be done as a my new bike maybe for 2016. Maybe it will be even less by then. ;)

I already am in talks with a carbon repairer here about pulling the cable stops off the LTD and putting in ports to have Di2 wire run internally.

greglepore

2/11/15 7:35 PM

The plugs for 6870/6970/9070 are the same. First gen DA (7970) is different. Wireless is interesting, but requires a 2032 at the shifters and rechargeable fd and rd batteries, more complicated than many folks might want.

Agree on pricing, but don't hold your breath. Shimano has moved all of their distribution direct (in other words, all retailers buy from Shimano not a reseller) simply in order to control pricing to consumer, a direct result of large retailers complaining about getting hammered by offshore internet sellers. There were a lot of 6770 and 6870 groups available at cheap prices at year end, but most were sans batteries, which are at a premium.

As to bulky appearance, 6870 (11) and 6770 (10) are indistinguishable. Many domestic pro teams, and even some Pro Tour teams that buy their own stuff, avoid DA because Ultegra is functionally identical and the weight is negligible.

My failure turned out to be a puked battery, the firmware/chip were fine but the voltage part was gone. Scared me at first, b/c Backcountry shipped a battery with old firmware and my bike didn't like that everything else was updated. All good with a battery update. Despite the learning curve, I still am firmly in the pro electron camp.

Sparky

2/12/15 1:46 PM

Useful Di2 links:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-2015-Shimano-Ultegra-6870-Di2-Electronic-2-x-11s-Upgrade-Group-Groupset-Kit-/301515059299

And on/from that eBay listing some PDFs

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B5blZYUiamzXSG9TRVpOZURzb1k/edit?pli=1

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B5blZYUiamzXbTZTbHdJUmJtek0/edit?pli=1

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B5blZYUiamzXZWdlVGRQbVZhLTQ/edit?pli=1

greglepore

2/12/15 2:00 PM

http://carltonbale.com/shimano-di2-everything-you-need-to-know/

And glory cycles...both useful.

Some folks are now hiding the main charging port/junction under the saddle and using a dumb junction inside stem or bars for a cleaner look.

Sparky

2/12/15 3:24 PM

I forgot that one or I would have included the link as well.

I did a screen cap of it and stored locally. ;)

Glad you know so much about it all. I can see how easy expensive mistakes could get made...

greglepore

2/12/15 5:41 PM

Aw shucks...

Its really very simple in practice, the only snafu at the moment is the non cross compatibility of 6770/80 mixed front and rear derailleurs.

The systems go together easily. IF it fails it can be a mystery without the expensive pce1 diagnostic box but usually its straightforward.

Busy shops know it, smaller shops not so much. I'm very very part time at a small shop and am just thru personal experience the default di2 expert.

ErikS
Location: Slowing boiling over in the steamy south, Global Warming is real

2/12/15 6:46 PM

let us know how it performs in the real world. When I have seen it working it looked like it was a dream it shifted so quickly and solidly.

greglepore

2/12/15 6:53 PM

I've been on it for a year and a half. The major differences are that front shifting is forget about it perfect. Under load, no problem. I think one dropped chain in all that time, due to a mistimed front/rear simultaneous major shift. Another, to adjust for minor differences between wheels, push a button and into adjust mode. One you're experienced, you can do this on the move. Third difference, it never really goes out of adjustment. Ever.

I would say its almost perfect, but the battery puke set me back. With a cable break, at least you have two gears. Probably an anomaly, but still.

I'm still sold on it. Silent, precise, easy to install and adjust.

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -