Location: Needham outside of Boston - the hub of the universe

1/11/15 5:26 PM

Local Directions

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=861898713848693&fref=nf

Reply to topic    

Dave B

1/12/15 7:24 AM

Two observations:

I once asked directions when I was driving in Boston and got a similar response but it was also wrong. I guess the guy I asked a) didn't want to say he didn't know and b) assumed by the time I realized the directions were wrong, I'd never see him again anyway.

Pittsburgh is also notorious for requiring convoluted directions and we are also famous for giving directions based on landmarks that aren't there any more; "Go about six blocks and turn right where the old school house used to be....".

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

dan emery

1/12/15 7:44 AM

yeah but

Which way to Millinocket?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sIJBUZm1HoY

Reply to topic    

rickhardy
Location: Needham outside of Boston - the hub of the universe

1/12/15 1:09 PM

Funny thing

Don't know who did this but they are VERY local, this literally is my neighborhood where I grew up and I live now no more than 4 miles away. Those directions "Baker street and Route 1 VFW "Pahkway" etc. are real and the Dunkies he quotes are EXACTLY where he describes......

Reply to topic    

Pat Clancy

1/12/15 4:36 PM

Asking directions in New Hampshire

Some years ago we were driving I-95N through New Hampshire heading to Maine. It was over a holiday weekend and traffic was extremely heavy. We had been advised that if the highway was badly backed up at the New Hampshire tolls, it would be much worse at the Maine toll plaza. So, after struggling through the NH toll, we decided to do an end run around the Maine tolls by taking Rt.16 northwest towards Dover and try to work back to the Maine pike north of the tolls.

We got seriously lost after getting off of Rt 16 and it was getting really late. I finally pulled up to a convenience store and went in to ask directions. The man behind the counter looked every bit of 90, and with a wonderful northern New England accent started to give me directions. A few seconds later another man, maybe 70ish, walks down an aisle yelling "Dad, that's not the easiest way." The two of them walked outside with me arguing, and my wife sitting in the car swears she saw them simultaneously pointing in opposite directions.

Well, thinking the older gentleman might be a little beyond the bend, I went with his son's directions, which were loaded with "you can't miss it" statements referring to various landmarks. Sure enough, we missed everyone of them and continued lost for another hour. It was long passed midnight before we stumbled on a state route number that we could find on our map. The usual 3 hour trip took nearly 7 hours.

The kicker? It might have been just as bad had we stayed on the highway. When we left I-95 in New Hampshire, we had been alongside of a singular vehicle - a Chevette pulling a trailer cobbled together from plywood. When we pulled back on to I-95 in Maine near Biddeford, we came up alongside of the same car.

April

1/12/15 6:06 PM

quote:
The kicker? It might have been just as bad had we stayed on the highway. When we left I-95 in New Hampshire, we had been alongside of a singular vehicle - a Chevette pulling a trailer cobbled together from plywood. When we pulled back on to I-95 in Maine near Biddeford, we came up alongside of the same car.

Nah, that never work. The driver of that car probably stopped and had dinner.

Trying to end run the Maine/NH turnpike doesn't work for out of staters.

Sparky

1/12/15 6:10 PM

I seem to recall the old Maine response being "Yaou can't get thar from hair..."

JohnC

1/12/15 8:52 PM

"Does it matter which of these roads I take?"
"Not to me, it don't."

bboston75

1/12/15 9:08 PM

How do I get to...

Don'cha move a goddam inch.

Reply to topic    

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -