Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

Tom Palermo, framebuilder, dies by sword, sorta

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
Sparky

12/29/14 1:47 PM

Tom Palermo, framebuilder, dies by sword, sorta

MEH!

https://www.baltimorebrew.com/2014/12/28/grief-and-anger-at-scene-of-fatal-bike-crash/

1st female Episcopal bishop of Maryland responsible in fatal hit-and-run

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2014/12/29/1st-female-episcopal-bishop-maryland-responsible-in-fatal-hit-and-run/

Last edited by Sparky on 12/29/14 1:50 PM; edited 1 time in total

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

Andy M-S

12/29/14 1:48 PM

Anvil posted on this...

Very sad.

Sparky

12/29/14 1:54 PM

I was telling Elaine the other news cycle. It seems like there is a crazy increase in hit and run pedestrian and cycling situations here. I do not recall so much of this kind of thing ever in TN or NJ.

Is it because PDX has more cyclist and PEDs per capita, dunno...

This scumbag left the scene and only came back when snagged by the other cyclist. Should she have got out and called 911 right away, he may have lived.

I hope she gets the max, clergy or not, maybe especially. Considering it is reported she has got probation previously on DUI. I hope the cops blood tested her!!

Anthony Smith

12/30/14 11:49 AM

won't bring him back, but

There are two methods appropriate for dealing with this:
1. The Mongol Method: break her back and leave her alone in the country to die,
2. The medieval church method: cut her tongue out and wall her up in a 4x4x4 stone room. Leave a small opening for air and to remove her excrement bucket pass her food and water daily (in the same bucket).

I'm so pissed that this is not tongue in cheek

Reply to topic    

Jesus Saves

12/30/14 5:57 PM

Even more repugnant than being a woman of the bully pulpit leaving the scene is that she has a previous DWI/DUI. I hope the DA makes an example of her....

Reply to topic    

Sparky

12/30/14 6:08 PM

Anything on how she may, or may not have been processed ?

dddd

12/30/14 8:30 PM

I once came upon the scene where a cyclist riding just a minute ahead of me had been rear-ended by a speeding Cadillac that over-corrected into the bike lane after passing a couple of sports cars.
The driver stopped, and admitted to me that he was impaired by medication. The interior of the Cadillac suggested to me that this guy might have been living in his car or shuffling his belongings from A to B, and the rider's cannondale was still protruding from the front end, dead-straight ahead.
This local, ~40-yr-old rider, an attorney, mostly recovered btw, after being flung about 75 feet through the air upon initial butt-impact with the Caddy's windshield.

Many, many drivers in similar situations flee if they sense that no one will be able to identify or follow them. It seems to be a very common "denial" response in trying to separate themselves from the incident. Perhaps they forcibly convince themselves that the rider is already dead or that there are others at the scene who can call for help.
But this illegal failure to stop and accept responsibility is quite common.
I'm not sure if the severity of punishment provides significant incentive for a motorist to stop in most cases if they see a way of extricating themselves from the frightening situation. Certainly they don't have much time to think about it, and moments later realize that their flight has now increased their criminal prosecution and reputation-damaging potential.

A drug-using person certainly is less likely to either think clearly or to be able to "endure" and defend against the scrutiny following an accident. Perhaps this driver fled, then had the time to realize she had likely been identified, and perhaps tossed incriminating evidence before returning to the scene. Often a driver will turn themselves in and claim something like they thought they hit an animal, knowing they likely will eventually be identified, or they may think it better to turn themselves in after sobering up.
A person's job and/or title as a preacher or teacher doesn't really affect my opinion of how they should be prosecuted, but any evidence of drug/alcohol impairment raises the stakes hugely and must be treated as the public safety threat that it is.

Reply to topic    

Jesus Saves

12/30/14 8:48 PM

A preacher is in a leadership role and one that talks about morality and responsibility. In terms of judging people, they should be held to a higher standard. If I was a member of this woman's congregation, I would loose all respect for her.

Reply to topic    

Brian Nystrom

12/31/14 6:44 AM

Lose all respect???

That's it? Are you serious!?

She fled the scene, leaving someone to die and all you can say is that you'd "loose (sic) all respect for her"? If nothing else, you in particular should outraged that a woman who is supposed to be a pillar of Christian behavior could be so callous toward another human being as to leave him to die in the street! The level of hypocrisy here is off the chart!

Until drivers are routinely charged and convicted of vehicular homicide for these crimes, and given substantial prison sentences, nothing is going to change. This needs to be treated just like drunk driving, which was once just brushed off as no big deal, but is now treated seriously (though still not seriously enough in some areas).

She deserves to rot in prison!

Reply to topic    

Sparky

12/31/14 12:19 PM

"She deserves to rot in prison!"

I suspect you and I would not make the jury pool...

She should resign 1st and foremost, if she tests POS for any substance she should receive the max sentence(s).

She BETTER have been blood tested is all I keep coming back to in my anger.

I hope someone finds the evidence she probably left the scene to toss out of her car with her DNA/prints on it for the trial. Or the blood test negates the need for it! I have a strong suspicion this may be why she split, that and being impaired.

rickhardy
Location: Needham outside of Boston - the hub of the universe

12/31/14 7:43 PM

and this

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2891576/Woman-bishop-exposed-hit-run-driver-fatal-crash-chased-confronted-65-year-old-bicyclist-came-forward-police.html

Reply to topic    

Sparky

12/31/14 8:08 PM

Her return 20 minutes later is apparently misinformation. The 65 year old that chased her down and other witnesses indicate more like 45 minutes.

https://www.baltimorebrew.com/2014/12/29/witness-says-car-left-scene-of-bike-crash-for-45-not-20-minutes/

Brian Nystrom

1/1/15 12:26 PM

While I understand an investigation takes time...

...what I don't get is why she wasn't immediately arrested for leaving the scene of an accident. The fact that she came back is irrelevant, you're not allowed to leave , period. It's also possible that her failure to stop and call 911 immediately may have contributed to his death.

Reply to topic    

greglepore

1/1/15 7:07 PM

yes, she'll at least be charged with that. The authorities have priorities and want to charge in one warrant, for a variety of reasons that are somewhat arcane. Let it play out, I doubt anyone want to slap her on the wrist. And maybe it was a sober mistake. Some reportage that she was texting. It is without a doubt wrong and horrible but lets all take a deep breath and wait for facts.

Sparky

1/2/15 8:33 PM

Huge New Years day ride/vigil.

https://www.baltimorebrew.com/2015/01/01/more-than-a-thousand-ride-for-tom-palermo-and-safer-biking/

rickhardy
Location: Needham outside of Boston - the hub of the universe

1/9/15 1:30 PM

Charged

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryland/baltimore-city/north-baltimore/bs-md-ci-palermo-announcement-20150109-story.html

Reply to topic    

Jesus Saves

1/10/15 7:23 AM

I agree with you

See my first post in this thread. I agree she should rot in prison. Better yet, she should be sharing a cell with 'Reverend' Al Sharpton.

In all likeliness she may serve little to no time. My comments assume such and look further into the future. The guilt/remorse hanging over your head, plus the steep $ cost of defending yourself is not enough punishment. How one can then further punish her is by not supporting her preaching practice, congregation, etc. essentially ostracize her.

Reply to topic    

greglepore

1/10/15 8:32 AM

Maryland is a pretty tough state on homicide by vehicle DUI. Plus, its a high profile case and she has a prior history. She'll likely do at least 2 yrs.

henoch

1/10/15 8:43 AM

I don't know much about the laws in MD but from reading the NY Times article it seems like the prosecutor is taking in pretty seriously.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

1/10/15 12:20 PM

"NY Times article it seems like the prosecutor is taking in pretty seriously."

Let's hope that is not fluff. She should get 10 years. And I hope she had assets so a civil lawsuit may award the funds dad won't be providing for the family, kids education.

greglepore

1/10/15 1:19 PM

Max sentence is 5.

Sparky

1/10/15 1:21 PM

"Max sentence"

For which charge/s? How about combined??

greglepore

1/10/15 4:20 PM

http://mgaleg.maryland.gov/webmga/frmStatutesText.aspx?article=gcr§ion=2-504&ext=html&session=2015RS&tab=subject5

Yes, there are other charges, but most likely will result in concurrent time. Most states still have sentencing guidelines, some mandatory, some advisory, and I have no idea what they'd recommend. They weigh factors like prior record, whether there's a plea, etc etc.

greglepore

1/10/15 4:21 PM

http://mgaleg.maryland.gov/webmga/frmStatutesText.aspx?article=gcr§ion=2-504&ext=html&session=2015RS&tab=subject5

Yes, there are other charges, but most likely will result in concurrent time. Most states still have sentencing guidelines, some mandatory, some advisory, and I have no idea what they'd recommend. They weigh factors like prior record, whether there's a plea, etc etc.

Sparky

1/10/15 4:45 PM

Thanks GP...

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -