HOMECLUBS | SPONSORS | FEATURESPHOTO GALLERYTTF DONORS | SHOP FOR GEAR

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

Some Tuesday fun
 Goto page Previous  1, 2

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
Matthew Currie

12/15/14 11:03 PM

We went digital finally, and took lots of pictures. Here's a small selection of mine:

https://ngislanderjune.shutterfly.com/pictures/105

Reply to topic    

ErikS
Location: Slowing boiling over in the steamy south, Global Warming is real

12/16/14 4:44 AM

That is my DREAM vacation spot!!!

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

April

12/16/14 7:24 AM

"lots of pictures"

1200 in my case!!!

April

12/16/14 9:09 PM

quote:
That is my DREAM vacation spot!!!

Make that dream a reality! As early as you can.

The Galapagos is under a huge amount of pressure from the sheer number of tourists. As much as the government try to limit the impact to the animals, you the tourist feel the pressure, from the presents of other tourists. The longer you wait, the more crowded it'll be.

We were on a small sail catamaran with only 12 passengers. So we were able to go onshore all as one group. Bigger ships had to split their passengers into smaller groups and go onshore at different times. But inevitably, the groups end up running into each other and had to wait for the previous group to move out before they could continue. We experienced that a couple times when we ended up at a location when a larger ship was also anchored.

When I was there, nearly 10 years ago, people were already talking about how busy it had become compared to 10 years earlier, even though we were there during the off season and it felts rather un-crowded by our expectations. I could only imagine what it's like now.

I would love to go back again. But part of me wonders will I be disappointed by the increased number of tourists making it more and more like a mini-Disney...

ErikS

12/17/14 5:34 AM

The other place I would love to visit is the Easter Islands. The far reaches of humanity interest me as much as they did Darwin. I just don't have a Beagle to float on or the bankroll for the trips.

Matthew Currie

12/18/14 8:00 AM

When we were in the Galapagos this year, we ran into very few other groups, but it was definitely choreographed very carefully. Every group going must clear its itinerary with the central park authorities, and limit its stay to a certain time, to minimize conflict. Different tours even from the same program may go to different places one time than another. The park administration supposedly knows and controls everything that's going on in the region. It's tightly controlled. But definitely worth it.

I agree with April, though, the sooner the better. Global warming, political turmoil, tourist pressure, the old lady in the Chrysler.... it all adds up, and who knows what tomorrow brings?

Reply to topic    

PLee

12/18/14 8:15 AM

Matthew is in for a treat. Let's see if this works . . .
https://pleeantarctica2012.shutterfly.com/pictures/39#39

Reply to topic    

Matthew Currie

12/18/14 11:54 AM

Parkin, it worked fine. Looking forward to it for sure. We may not get the gold plated internet service down there, so soon off the radar but will wish all a merry Christmas now, and post a picture or two when we return unless we drop all our cameras in the ocean.

Reply to topic    

PLee

12/18/14 12:27 PM

If you're taking the National Geographic/Lindblad Explorer - make sure you participate in the Polar Plunge! I didn't, and have regretted it ever since . . .

Reply to topic    

ErikS

12/18/14 4:25 PM

Parkin the air is so CLEAR in your pics. As expected.

PLee

12/18/14 4:37 PM

That one picture of the penguin staring at the mountains in the distance - those mountains are over 5 miles away.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

12/18/14 4:46 PM

;)

PLee

12/18/14 6:06 PM

That's perfect for that bird! It's a snowy sheathbill, otherwise known as the garbage trucks of the Antarctic - they'll eat anything and poop over everything.

Reply to topic    

Matthew Currie

12/31/14 7:56 PM

Just got back, very tired after about 48 hours in the air, but it was wonderful. Millions of photographs, yet to sort. Saw of course penguins and seals, but also some whales, and lots and lots of ice and spectacular scenery. And yes, we did the polar plunge. Lucky weather, smooth crossing, etc. etc.

Reply to topic    

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Goto page Previous  1, 2  
Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -