Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

OT - space heater?
 Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
Jesus Saves

12/4/14 2:08 PM

simpler solution

How about asking the obvious: can you work on the bicycle inside the house? Even when I lived in a 200 sq ft NYC apartment, I still managed to do my own wrench work indoors.

This fella will surely lend you a helping hand with the delivery of you propane tank

Reply to topic    

dan emery

12/4/14 2:13 PM

even simpler solution

I work in a detached barn with no heat. Actually it has a woodstove but I've never used it. Builds character and my fingers haven't fallen off yet.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

12/4/14 3:21 PM

"Builds character and my fingers haven't fallen off yet."

This, coming from Nanook of the North! ;)

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

April

12/4/14 4:12 PM

quote:
How about asking the obvious: can you work on the bicycle inside the house?

That question has already been answered earlier. You obvious didn't read. ;-)

Jesus Saves

12/4/14 4:41 PM

check again

Where was the question answered? Actually, I have been reading the thread all along and just skimmed through it again now. I do not see where that question has been answered.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

12/4/14 5:41 PM

quote:
(Some of the work is quite likely to be brought into the house: like truing wheels and mounting tires. I might even bring the whole bike into the kitchen. But I don't want to lube and clean in the kitchen. Nor can I bring the kayak into the house! Still, it's not like I'm spending 10 hours a day in the garage)

You'd better pay attention if you want to participate in the chronicles of April. ;)

Craig

12/4/14 7:25 PM

Not the answer you were looking for....

How about a Milwaukee heated hoodie? Leave the battery in the charger on the bench and it will be good to go any time you need it. Get it in black to hide the dirt/grease.

http://www.milwaukeetool.ca/power-tools/cordless/2381

They are durable, fairly light weight, and designed to take the chill off. The batteries last as long as you've said you might work in the garage and longer. And then you can use it doing any number of other things you hadn't thought about.

For the mild temp difference you're talking about a toque and a sweater is probably all the heater you need anyway, but the Milwaukee cordless work gear with the heating coils in them are pretty stellar and work to take the chill of quite well when you're just standing around in a cool environment. It won't help your hands much but if you're not keeping the garage heated all the time then all your tools will be cold to the touch anyway even if you were to heat the air in the garage to a comfortable temperature for a couple of hours.

Reply to topic    

April

12/4/14 8:21 PM

quote:
It won't help your hands much but if you're not keeping the garage heated all the time then all your tools will be cold to the touch anyway

Surprisingly, the tools aren't too cold. Partly because they are often ... only in the 40's.

Further more, many of the "tools" aren't metal. (sand paper, glues, lubs, cables housings...)

I also have no need to brace the rare 20 degree days given I have no deadline till next spring. So, most days I'll be working in the garage will likely be on warmish days.

Without the heater, I only had a few rare days that I could work in the garage last winter. With it, hopefully I can turn the more common 40 degree days into comfortable 55-65 degree work days.

The heated hoodie is very intriguing! I don't see a price though...

Sparky

12/4/14 8:28 PM

I don't see a price though.

$150-160.00 with charger and one battery....

When I lived in NJ, my uncle gave me some Refrigiwear pants and jacket for winter work outside. They are still in business.

He worked in Maxwell house in the.... Wait for it...

Refrigerators..

______
I have some insulated coveralls that I use for when it gets too cold to do some stuff. Just another possible direction. Can;t get more plug and play than that...

http://www.sierratradingpost.com has some on huge markdowns for like $39.00 final.

Jesus Saves

12/4/14 8:53 PM

Yeah but, no but

You are spot on correct, Sparky. My bad. I must have been distracted listening to Vicky Pollard.....
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=x8WVMAazd0I

Reply to topic    

Matthew Currie

12/4/14 9:17 PM

can you work on the bicycle inside the house?

The kayaks might be a bit harder, though perhaps you could put them on sawhorses and use them as dining tables. Probably a bit slippery for that.

I don't know much about April, but I am guessing that part of the reason she owns a house with a garage involves not living as one must in a tiny apartment.

Reply to topic    

April

12/4/14 10:03 PM

quote:
I don't know much about April, but I am guessing that part of the reason she owns a house with a garage involves not living as one must in a tiny apartment.

Matthew, you do see things more clearly than most people!

There're ways things CAN be done. But then, there're ways things can BEST be done!

(And every ways in between those 2 extremes)

Washing a bike in the bathtub is acceptable in a 200 sqft NYC apartment. I had done that a few times myself. But acceptable isn't desirable.

That's the same reason why I'm not getting a propane heater. It's probably the warmest and lowest cost. But I just don't need it for 10-15 days of a few hours that I'll be working the garage.

BTW, the kayak can't come into the house because the walls are configured in such a way they're blocking the entry (of a 17' long un-bending object).

(That said, the white water kayak, at only 5'6" long, can easily be brought into the house. And it's flat bottom actually would make quite an acceptable dining table! :D However, the work I'll be doing with it involves drilling a big hole to install a drain plug. That would make rather a big mess inside the house, which I rather NOT to)

One of the big "gotcha" of this board, for relative new comers, is we talk about things OTHER THAN bikes more than about bikes! I envision about half of the work I'll be doing in the garage doesn't actually involve bikes. Last winter, I did a bunch of stuff with my skis, INSIDE the house. I'd rather do them in the garage instead. Metal ski edges and carpet/wood flooring don't go together well...

Sparky

12/4/14 11:17 PM

"Washing a bike in the bathtub is acceptable in a 200 sqft NYC apartment. I had done that a few times myself. But acceptable isn't desirable. "

On many levels. ;)

Jesus Saves

12/5/14 7:29 AM

How much additional work are you going to be doing on the kayak, off season? Additional meaning work done immediately before and after the season start & end during reasonable temps. Seriously.

As for the bicycle, an outdoor and year round activity for you, I presume, - washing a bike takes all of what, 5 - 10 minutes to do. In terms of cold/comfort, that is much more tolerable than actually cycling in such temps for a much longer duration of time. Regardless, given the two options, I'd much rather wrench a bike while inside a house than a garage for anytime of the year.

JS

P.S. When I lived in a small apartment, I never washed the bike in the bathroom.

Reply to topic    

April

12/5/14 7:34 AM

quote:

As for the bicycle, an outdoor and year round activity for you, I presume, -

You presume wrong!

Cycling is strictly a summer activity for me.

Jesus Saves

12/5/14 8:00 AM

Ok! Got it! It all makes sense now! Silly me! You ride only in the summer and then months later during the cold weather, you do your mechanical work. That's really good information to know! Thanks!!! :-)

Reply to topic    

April

12/5/14 7:39 PM

High math and rocket science, absolutely!

quote:
You ride only in the summer and then months later during the cold weather, you do your mechanical work.

That is, as oppose to working on the bike in the summer, when I'd rather spend whatever spare time I got riding it!

mag7

12/7/14 1:08 PM

The Buddy propane heater operates off of small, easy to use 1lb canisters - nothing heavy or bulky involved and good runtime for your projects.

Sparky

12/7/14 2:09 PM

"as oppose to working on the bike in the summer, when I'd rather spend whatever spare time I got riding it!"

Presumably why it gets worked on now, so it will be all ready to go.

How is ski season going this year so far April?

I rode at the top of a Butte with unreal views on the 29er yesterday, 54^ and windy. Easy enough to dress for.

April

12/7/14 4:56 PM

quote:
How is ski season going this year so far April?

Not started yet. Probably after New Year, as usual.

I got the little space heater from Sam's Club, the same one as in Walmart but cost a little less. It's putting out a decent amount of heat inside the house (where I assembled it). Haven't got a chance to put it to use in the garage yet. I think it'll work. Very quiet as I expected.

Smunderdog

1/27/15 12:10 PM

That heater end up working ok for you? I think we have something very similar we use in our daughter's room since it is on the very far end of the heat duct run....

Bumping this thread because I recently ran across this

http://co-op.kinja.com/most-popular-space-heater-delonghi-oil-filled-1681690904

I'm going to snag their top pick for my basement office and will report back at the end of the winter season...

Reply to topic    

Sparky

1/27/15 12:42 PM

You just reminded me of the oil radiator type heater we used in my eldest's room when he was of single digit age. I would say for a confined insulated area these can keep a more even temp.

But maybe with a fan behind it as more direct flow though it pointed at you while working... And it could be used inside when not being use out in the garage..

I recall it did have a little noisy fan in it so it could blow/project heat. But other than in a small confined space not sure that would be too effective.

April

1/27/15 2:10 PM

Yes, the heater working out ok. (although I haven't gotten too far since I've gone skiing a bunch instead)

Smunderdog

6/1/15 4:36 AM

It's almost summer so let's talk heaters some more! :)

The original owners of our ranch home built in '57 installed a massive window A/C unit in the wall between a family room and the garage - yep, vented into the garage. I finally got around to pulling the thing out and will be framing in & covering the hole in the wall...but what to do with the 220 outlet that is wired to this location?

Before I eliminate it I thought I might consider flipping it to pop out to face into the garage instead of into the house...ya know, just in case I need it eventually. Maybe for a heater like what Sparky has?

Our garage is roughly 20 x 20 with 10' ceilings and is uninsulated. Walls are finished with pretty thick plasterboard...would a 220 electric heater be enough to knock the chill off in the winter here in Indy on days when temps outside are in the 20-30F range?

Reply to topic    

Dave B

6/1/15 7:10 AM

quote:
EDIT: just time then, according to some googling. 220 heats faster and shut off sooner. Less total time on, which I defiantly can say happens with my 220 4k V unit over the 110 V 1500 watt heater here.

If this meant it's a 4KW heater, of course it heats faster and shuts off sooner than a 1500 watt heater. It draws 2.7 times the power.[/b]

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next  
Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -