Sparky

11/27/14 5:26 PM

Happy TG all...

;) Gobble gobble, oink oink, soy soy... Whaat ev-va

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

Brian Nystrom

11/28/14 9:25 AM

Not this year

The power outage here put the kibosh on Thanksgiving (mine was down for 13 hours and my mother still doesn't have power back). Oh well, there's always next year...

Reply to topic    

Sparky

11/28/14 10:25 AM

Oh no, Did you all have the fridge full ingredients for the feast?

Hope you had gas/wood stove...

Brian Nystrom

11/29/14 12:21 PM

I was fine

I don't cook a lot, so there wasn't much of anything in the fridge that was perishable. We always go to my mother's house for Thanksgiving. She started cooking her turkey at her church, then finished it at my house once the power was back on. Although the meal never happened, at least the bird wasn't wasted. Her power is back on now and she's fine.

I have a kerosene space heater that I use in emergencies (don't worry, I've been using this heater for decades and it's perfectly safe). It heats the house quite well and I can even do some light cooking on the top. Worst case, I have multiple camping stoves to choose from if I was without power for a long time. Fortunately, it was warm enough that frozen pipes were not a concern.

Reply to topic    

April

11/29/14 12:55 PM

I've had that (Thanksgiving power outage) happened one year while I was living in California. We were almost done with our cooking, was just doing the last couple side dishes. The power went out. And without hesitation, we both went straight to our camping pile. Out came the camp stove and the rest of the cooking was done. Power came back on less than 24 hrs so no spoilage of the stock in the frig.

quote:
Oh no, Did you all have the fridge full ingredients for the feast?

At least it's the winter. So there's a gigantic frig right outside so the food will not spoil! :)

Last time I had extended power outage was the October "Frankenstorm", better known as Sandy. It came down as heavy snow where the house is. Power was out for nearly a week. Of course I didn't know it would have gone that long. So I was able to just leave food outside to keep it from spoiling for a couple days after the frig lost all it's "cool". Later, I had to transfer the rest of them to the frig in the city. (By the end of the outage, I consumed some of it too)

Irene did more damage to my food stock because it was in the middle of summer. I simply couldn't get all of the frozen foods into suitable cold storage fast enough.

[/quote]

Brian Nystrom

11/29/14 1:32 PM

Our last significant outage was in the summer...

...but I didn't mind because I was forced to eat a lot of ice cream before it melted. ;-)

Reply to topic    

Sparky

11/29/14 1:57 PM

"there's a gigantic frig right outside"

There is that. ;)

KerryIrons

11/29/14 6:37 PM

frig?

Is it a big frigging frig?

Reply to topic    

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -