Sparky

11/19/14 10:11 AM

Riding in Central Park?

http://gothamist.com/2014/11/19/bonos_high_energy_bike_accident_cau.php

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

ErikS
Location: Slowing boiling over in the steamy south, Global Warming is real

11/19/14 4:41 PM

That sucks for him. I heard he was an avid cyclist. This confirms it.

Sparky

11/19/14 4:45 PM

I have ridden there. Bombing around there is a poor choice of local to do it...

Not to mention the navigating around grease pies from what ever they feed those poor horses pulling folks around the park..

sandiway

11/20/14 11:06 AM

Riding the loop there at cycling enthusiast speed is very dangerous.

I did it once with Shelly Mossey on a weekend morning. I was on one of his faired recumbents. I followed inches behind him. And circumnavigated Central Park at some truly, truly ridiculous average speed - at least it appeared to me to be ridiculous since I normally ride an unfaired bike. I swear several times we were definitely going to T-bone someone and somehow a gap opened up just in time. I had a huge grin on my face when we finished. But I admit it was too damn dangerous to ever repeat again.

Sandiway

Reply to topic    

Sparky

11/20/14 11:18 AM

More: http://gothamist.com/2014/11/18/central_parks_speed_limit_to_fall_t.php

Then there is the guy who wouldn't bother to get off his aero bars in Sept a this:

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/wife-of-cbs-senior-vp-hit-by-bicyclist-dies/

It must be insanity since the Lance/Trek explosion. The popularity of cycling in the US having quadrupled since I have ridden in Central Park in the late 90s.

sandiway

11/20/14 1:04 PM

Best thing to do is not to ride it.

We have an absolutely beautiful road going up Sabino Canyon here in Tucson. Bicycles are only allowed outside of 9am-5pm. I've also run there.

The speed limit is 15 mph. So I've only ridden it once. It's basically impossible to obey the speed limit coming down. It's not worth riding there.

Sandiway

Reply to topic    

Steve B.

11/20/14 1:35 PM

"Best thing to do is not to ride it. "

I share this attitude mostly, but then have to commiserate with the thousands of roadies living in Manhattan, some being amateur racers, whose training routes are extremely limited.

The Central Park loop is one of the few rides that is only marginally safer then attempting some of the roads leading out of the city. Outside of CP, it's over the GW bridge and up 9W, or over to Brooklyn and maybe Prospect Park (which is only slightly better then CP on a Sat. morning) and maybe further out to the Rockaways.

In any event, the NYC Council is considering dropping the speed limit for bikes in CP to 20, down from 25. 15 might be a better choice.

Reply to topic    

ErikS

11/20/14 6:27 PM

A better solution is make routes in the park that are specifically set up to support faster cycling. They have the space and money. Instead of fighting it, make it part of the park. I am not advocating a slow bike lane but lanes just for the 20mph + crowd. I have been to NYC and seen the cyclist in CP. It would be a well used if properly designed and marketed.

PLee

11/20/14 9:05 PM

There isn't enough room in Central Park to set up a fast bike riding lane. Period. Cyclists should NOT be blasting around that park when other users are in the roadway.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

11/20/14 9:08 PM

Just for a little prospective. I read that in the 5 boroughs cars killed 2300 pedestrians in 2014, whereas cyclist killed two.

So vehicle to vehicle ratio should be noted. How many of each is another question of course... And how many of the 2300 were on a bike when killed is a good question too?

ErikS

11/21/14 4:13 AM

I have been to CP. There is enough room it just would require work and money to create the route. It would be a major overhaul in some areas but the park is being utilized for it, the city has the money, it just depends on what is important.

Obviously there is a HUGE user base, I saw it with my own eyes and the park is for all the users. If they can be build amphitheaters, fountains and such, why not a fast cycling loop around the park? Then the city could kick the crowd of cyclists to a safer route. Of course the ticket revenue would drop....

henoch

11/21/14 7:30 AM

Sorry

Eric, There just isn't room, end of story. It's really not a financial issue (Though I totally agree that the city doesn't care about cyclist), but at the end of the day there simply isn't enough room in the park to accommodate fast cyclists at peak periods (that's why our races start at 5:45 am).

Last edited by henoch on 11/21/14 9:41 AM; edited 1 time in total

Reply to topic    

rickhardy
Location: Needham outside of Boston - the hub of the universe

11/21/14 9:00 AM

there is this...

http://www.kissenavelodrome.info/

Reply to topic    

JohnC

11/21/14 10:16 AM

I agree with Parkin and henoch. There just isn't room for dedicated fast-cycling territory in that park. The park's primary users are millions of people on foot; they have priority, and that's the way it should be.

dan emery

11/21/14 10:37 AM

Hmmmm

Major construction, disruption and expenditure in Central Park to benefit 20+ mph cyclists.

I'd say that's about as likely as Ted Cruz asking Bernie Sanders to join his ticket as VP...

Reply to topic    

PLee

11/21/14 11:39 AM

There's no way of setting up a loop in Central Park that won't have any pedestrian crossings.

Reply to topic    

April

11/21/14 11:39 AM

The park is crowded during certain hours but not always. Cars are only allowed in the park at certain time of year and hours.

I don't see why they can't do the same to bikes: certain speed are allowed on certain lane at certain hours only. Instead of a single speed limit which is still too fast during peak hour but too slow for groups wishing to use the roadway for training.

I don't really 'ride' in the park these days. But I still remember fondly of my early experience of ridingr in the park yyears ago. I'm not sure I would have become a cycling enthusiast without those days of enjoying riding in the park. I hate to deny such opportunity to the new comers.

It really need to be managed better for all to enjoy the park.

Last edited by April on 11/21/14 11:46 AM; edited 1 time in total

Sparky

11/21/14 11:42 AM

Is the Park closed to cars on Sundays or something. I recall that was the case when I used to pop down via Riverside after a GWB trek from Joisey. We used to pretty much go as fast as we could, this is really not something new.

sandiway

11/21/14 12:45 PM

Reply to topic    

Sparky

11/21/14 1:49 PM

Sandi, who... what ??? ;)

henoch

11/21/14 2:19 PM

Looks like he can't afford a decent water bottle.

Reply to topic    

dan emery

11/21/14 2:21 PM

pic

I thought that was Sparky on his Specialized.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

11/21/14 2:36 PM

Which Specialized is the question, somehow I am up to four... More to do with the 58 fitting exactly right than anything else....

All my stems point down, as in negative rise. Even if 'up' upon initial builds or pics to sell. ;)

Both the stem rise up and that water bottle are normal here, if not predominant. Here in Portland, not here as on my bikes. ;)

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -