HOMECLUBS | SPONSORS | FEATURESPHOTO GALLERYTTF DONORS | SHOP FOR GEAR

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

OT: USB hub can't see printer

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
KerryIrons

10/22/14 7:30 PM

OT: USB hub can't see printer

I have more USB devices than ports on my laptop, so one of my daughters got me a USB hub for my birthday. When I set it up it went through a big "driver search" routine and everything works fine, except the printer. I can only print through one USB port on my computer and the computer can't print when the printer is plugged into the USB hub. I have a workaround in that the hub is plugged into another port that works with it and the printer is plugged into the port that works for it. But I would rather have the printer plugged into the USB hub. What am I missing?

Other devices that work with the hub include my wireless mouse, wired keyboard, and external hard drive.

Reply to topic    

Nick Payne

10/22/14 7:40 PM

Some devices don't work properly through a USB hub - my 120 film scanner, for example, says in the manual that it should be connected directly to a USB port on the motherboard rather than via a USB hub.

When the printer is plugged into the hub and switched on, does it appear in Device Manager under printers?

Reply to topic    

Sparky

10/22/14 7:42 PM

Or take the printer out of the ability/mode that it can go into sleep mode??

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

Steve B.

10/23/14 9:04 AM

If a Windows computer I'd delete the printer and do a new Add Printer routine. Have everything connected and powered up.

I recently switched my printer to a network port on my WiFi router, making it a nerwork printer, instead of a USB printer on my desktop. Means the desktop doesn't have to be awake to print from devices connected on my WiFi

Reply to topic    

KerryIrons

10/23/14 7:43 PM

Add new?

quote:
delete the printer and do a new Add Printer routine

Didn't work. No response from printer when I did the "print test page" thing. Unplugged from the USB hub and plugged into the right hand USB port on the laptop and it printed the test page.

Reply to topic    

Brian Nystrom

10/24/14 5:35 AM

As Nick said...

...some devices simply will not work with a hub. I've run into the same thing and there's no use in fighting it; you're not likely to win.

Reply to topic    

PLee

10/24/14 6:07 AM

Time to get a wireless printer. I can now email any print job to my printer from anywhere in the world.

Reply to topic    

Andy M-S

10/24/14 6:24 AM

Just so long

...as nobody else can send it a scan of a 1970 Sears Catalog to print!

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

Steve B.

10/24/14 8:17 AM

If your internet provider has you using a WiFi router, they typically have Cat 5 ports on the back.

If the router and printer are in proximity, I'd connect the printer via Cat5.

Then do the add printer route, only select the option for network printer.

My setup was painless and I can print out of my laptop, iPad and iPhone, direct to the printer.

Reply to topic    

sandiway

10/24/14 10:33 AM

Is your USB hub a powered one? i.e. does it have its own wall wart?

Sandiway

Reply to topic    

Steve B.

10/24/14 8:06 PM

Oh, missed that.

Powered hub might be the answer. I need to use these on our work lighting controllers. Non powered isn't recognized.

Reply to topic    

KerryIrons

10/25/14 7:19 PM

Powered hub

Yes my hub is powered, though the manual says that's only needed when you have high current draw devices on the hub.

I'm guessing that the issue is my printer is not even a USB printer (uses an adapter cable) and is about a decade old (HP Deskjet 882C). I found that the USB hub works in two of my laptops USB ports and the printer works in only one of them. So I have the hub connected to one port, the hub power supply connected to the port that doesn't support either the printer or the USB hub, and the printer connected to the only port on which it works. No free ports on the laptop but 4 free ports on the hub so I can connect thumb drives, cameras, etc. without having to unplug anything.

Mission accomplished.

Reply to topic    

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -