HOMECLUBS | SPONSORS | FEATURESPHOTO GALLERYTTF DONORS | SHOP FOR GEAR

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

How many...

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
Sparky

10/21/14 2:25 PM

How many...

Bikes and a Del Sol can you fit in one single car garage without needing a 5 gallon bucket of KY at the door so you can get in and out? It is such a little car. ;)

Thankfully there is 3' to the wall on the left side where most of the bikes are. Tandem and 29er tire on the floor and the rest hanging on hooks. [My father hung me on a hook once... Once!] ;)

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

Wheels

10/21/14 4:39 PM

Have Rick Hardy

take a picture of his garage with his Honda Fit. I have seen bike shops with less inventory.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

10/21/14 5:15 PM

Yeah, I am still under 20... I think...

Nick Payne

10/22/14 5:39 AM

I had a rack welded up from 40x40 steel tube to hang the bikes - it's a lot easier getting them on and off the rack than on and off hooks at ceiling height, plus I fitted a shelf made from 10mm MDF to the top of the rack to provide extra storage space. Tandems have to hang from the ceiling because of their length. 2nd photo shows the rack more clearly without the tandems in the way. The car overlaps the tandems when it's parked in the garage, so we have to move the car out to get down one of the tandems if we want to ride it, but all the other bikes can be got on and off the rack with the car parked inside.

Reply to topic    

PLee

10/22/14 4:05 PM

That's a sweet DeRosa you have hanging in front!

Reply to topic    

Nick Payne

10/22/14 11:10 PM

It's a nice SLX DeRosa from the late 1980s that belongs to my wife. She also has a modern CF DeRosa that's hanging towards the back of the rack, and that gets most of the riding these days. I've been keeping an eye out for an appropriate era groupset to put the old DeRosa back to ridable condition, as a lot of the parts have been stripped off it to go on some of her other bikes.

Reply to topic    

Brian Nystrom

10/23/14 5:49 AM

Didn't anyone tell you...

...that a clean garage is the sign of a sick mind? ;-)

Reply to topic    

dan emery

10/23/14 9:06 AM

Well then

If that is the standard, then I am the epitome of mental health (others might use the term "hoarder" but they just don't understand....)

Reply to topic    

JohnC

10/23/14 1:24 PM

quote:
Didn't anyone tell you...
...that a clean garage is the sign of a sick mind? ;-)

No place in my house (including the kitchen, living room and bedroom) is ever as clean as Nick's garage. I am awestruck.

Sparky

10/23/14 2:04 PM

My spaces all look exactly like that, for exactly like one or two days every now and then. ;)

And I got too many of them between bikes, guitar, shop. And each pretty much each task has an internal and external version with the 850 SF Shop/bldgs, garage, and a 3 bedroom house with us only really needing one bedroom. ;)

Now we have the 250 SF portion of the shop made into an exercise studio. Heated, insulated yada. My last little project geared at getting a car in the garage. Now that the two computrainers had to evacuate the garage to get the Red thing in there.

The exerciser studio looks like that currently, how long for??? Fuggeddabouddit...

Nick Payne

10/23/14 8:27 PM

I'm afraid you're all getting a false impression. Those first couple of photos were taken shortly after we moved in, before I'd had a chance to develop a comfortable amount of clutter. Here's a photo I shot five minutes ago:

Reply to topic    

JohnC

10/23/14 9:29 PM

Thank you, Nick. I feel a little better.

ErikS
Location: Slowing boiling over in the steamy south, Global Warming is real

10/24/14 4:27 AM

My garage parks my wife's car, the lawnmower and...

Bikes, for all of us, a bowflex, a elliptical, tons of my wife's hoardings, my shooting sports stuff to include a bench dedicated to reloading (powder, loose brass, tumbler, press, scales etc.). All my bike tools hang on a peg board at that same bench.

My garage would be much better but my wife is a hoarder of sorts.

Brian Nystrom

10/24/14 5:55 AM

That's definitely a relief!

My bikes live in my basement, but it's getting really hard to move around down there...

Reply to topic    

dddd

10/26/14 11:25 AM

A little basement space can go a long way!

I'm still struggling with my garage, as my new neighborhood is a place where parking on-street or even long-term parking in the driveway seems verboten. Luckily, I seldom drive, so backing my car into the sardine can is not such a frequent exercise. I have a strip of colored duck-tape on the floor to guide my tires, and a small block of wood bonded to the floor with Gorilla Glue to act as a stop (it's quite the trip hazard, so now covered in bright paint). Lastly, a support pole for the loft is spiral-wrapped with yellow tape so it doesn't get hit by the end of my rear bumper. There's <1" clearance for my garage door to close (long bed truck as it is), but the vehicle lives inside now for the first time in over 25 years.

Thank goodness for the basement!

Reply to topic    

Sparky

10/26/14 12:28 PM

My main motivation for cribbing for the DelSol is 20 year old Targa Top gaskets, they do seep, so in the rainy season although not actually wet inside, the RH is high enough for a few issues.

For example, at the end of a warm day when the temp drops, the inside gets fogged by condensation. And using the term fogged is being polite. The gaskets for it are cost prohibitive as far as I am concerned.

So, although not nearly as bad as an old convertible in this regard, she don't like water too much.

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -