Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

Computrainer?
 Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
dan emery

10/15/14 5:39 AM

Computrainer?

Any relatively heavy Computrainer users out there? I generally don't ride much indoors, but I'm contemplating a difficult ride in April, and to take a decent shot at that I will need a lot of time on the bike over the winter, and while I commute through the winter I will also need some serious time indoors.

I have an old LeMond Revmaster stationary bike which has its limitations, and am thinking of upgrading to a Computrainer (not a data guy at all, but the data and graphics may serve as a diversion/game that will keep me on the bike longer). Do people like these? Any problems? What type of monitor do you use? Any advantage to the fork mount?

I think the ultimately cool trainer is the Velotron, but the price tag ain't so cool.

TIA

Reply to topic    

henoch

10/15/14 6:21 AM

I had one for a few years, they are absolutely bomb proof fantastic pieces of hardware, will most definitely help you stay on the trainer much longer then a regular trainer.
I can't see much need for the fork mount, though I am sure that it has some reason.
There is some new competition that has come out the last few years that has newer, better software with more bells and whistles, but I still think that computrainer makes the best hardware bar none.

Last edited by henoch on 10/15/14 9:41 AM; edited 1 time in total

Reply to topic    

greglepore

10/15/14 6:35 AM

Dan-I've set up two video trainer systems, one for a friend and I've had one for a while. Mine is CT based, his uses the new Wahoo Kickr, which I think is superior,with one exception, as it is direct drive (no tire slip). A Kickr is around a grand, a used CT 600-800 on ebay.

I use an LCD projector for video, as I have a dedicated room over my detached garage, and it had an existing screen of around 100 inches. Projectors are also cheap on ebay, you can get a very nice one for under 200. For my buddy's setup he used an existing LCD TV-a 42. A stereo is nice as well, as blasting music helps even with the video.

I use two primary video sources. First is Paul Smulder's Ergvideos, which are fantastic for actual training as you can set your FTP and do intervals with them, and the included software allows you to cut and paste video segments and thus set interval length and intensity. He has a series with Hunter Allen in the Blue Ridge that is great for interval work, and the usual great climbs of Europe that are scaleable for threshold power. The limitation is that they are CT only. They're so good that I hope that Paul is working on a Kickr interface, as Kickr's control software is open source.

I also use Veloreality videos a couple times a week. These are awesome HD videos of great Euro rides, but the difference is that they're synched to the trainer-the faster you go, the faster the video moves. They provide a very realistic grade load to the trainer. Feels very much like road riding. The Flanders course is my favorite, nice mix of rolling roads with some cobbled monsters like the Koppenburg thrown in.The support for this is amazing-the CEO of the company spent an hour on the phone with me diagnosing a firmware issue with my ancient CT and called me within minutes of an email when we had a usb issue with my buddies laptop.

As you can likely tell by my gushing, I'm a huge fanboy of these virtual trainers. I did CT intervals for years back in the day and they were very useful but they sucked, bigtime. Having the virtual video transforms the experience for me. Its still hard, but I actually look forward to it. Crank up Neil Young on the old Acoustats, fire up the projector, and go hit the Stelvio for two hours. Yeah baby. Last winter with the unusual snow would have been unbearable without it, even with the cx skiing etc. I keep the room cool, around 50, and get away with a smallish fan. In a normal room you'd need a large fan, towels and a mat.

There is another whole virtual world of this stuff coming-check out Tour De Giro and Zwift (not released yet but screenshots are out there). Tour De Giro is a virtual racing simulation with realistic drafting etc and poor graphics, Zwift is the same but with Xbox caliber graphics. I raced TdG many Saturday mornings when it was too crappy to do our winter group ride, and it was a hoot. Not so much that I'd do it when I could actually be outdoors, but a nice diversion. Also many other training programs like Traineroad (subscription) and Sufferfest vids that I haven't used.

Feel free to shoot me an email if this long post didn't answer questions.

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

rickhardy
Location: Needham outside of Boston - the hub of the universe

10/15/14 7:34 AM

CT

Been using a CT for what maybe 10 years...Once set up pretty much bombproof as others has said. I also have Smelly's erg videos. I don't have that much time coming home after work to set things up. That said I still would have problems with motivation by JRA on the CT or any trainer. I follow Bill Black's (one time poster here) "Hour of Power" training plans all told the workouts are over an hour( 75 - 90 mins) with warm up and warm downs and are progressive knowing what you have to do to accomplish in the workout and doing it keeps you going so the workouts go by fairly quickly. It is hard work and you must get psyched to get on the trainer. After my injury in '12 trying to get back to race shape I often was woozy climbing the stairs from the basement after a workout...

Reply to topic    

Sparky

10/15/14 11:42 AM

We have a double setup as well. Agree, except being careful around the connecting cabling and particularly not yanking on the ends out of plane, I have no problem saying bullet proof.

We use a DLP projector on a DIY screen. My media of choice are some you tube VIDs I sniped with ANT video download add-in. These VIDs are mostly Motorcycle go pros of things like Pacific coast runs, Blueridge MTN runs etc. I run them in a very slow mode more akin to cycle VS motorcycle speeds. Audio muted with all kinds of episodically composed music playing. [Think 'Land of the Midnight Sun' by Return to Forever]

I also use sans projector for more repeats/hill/interval workouts. I have a few lap tops laying about. Having a laptop on a stand/helf in reach, or at least the keyboard is mandatory IMO.

BTW, you can save your last effort, and ride along side it over and over which seems pretty useful.

Plus you can get/DL saved rides from multiple sources of you want to ride up an Alps pass or have a leisurely uphill Dolomite jaunt.

I had a single for years, traded it for a bike in 2004 or 2005. We got this dual set up in 2012. I serviced 3 bike shops in NJ back in the day with dual setups. In case anyone ever wondered where I got my ZIPPs & Zoots / Parts from back then. Deal was, free CT maintenance for cost on what ever I got from them. Only once a unit failed in 5-6 years of doing service. The oldest load generator failed, an exchange at the time was facilitated rather expeditiously, a testament to service level.

It was mostly computer related issues and hardware upgrades. These days it is a lot more simple with USB compatibility than back in the serial port days of CT life.

So if you go that route, feel free to ask for help.

BTW, I called them when I got the WIN 8.0 machine and they said they had not tested it with 8 yet. I had a few USB interface adapter mis-compatibilities. Is that a word? But got it working with not too much strife. But I assume they got that together by now as far as actual support.

I suspect that the USB/Serial Adapters will be the area of likelihood of any startup issues.

dan emery

10/15/14 1:52 PM

Yikes!

Thanks all for the great info. Quite a bit for a Luddite like myself to assimilate. Maybe I should just retain Greg or Sparky for a turnkey installation :)

I like the direct drive feature of the KickR, but seems there is more stuff available out of the box for CT. I do like the idea of riding up the Stelvio (always wanted to , virtually is a start).

Not too concerned about the finer points of data, I'll be pointing at a ride that I'll be lucky to complete in the allotted 14 hours, so basic endurance is the no. 1 goal. So numbers and video are really more important to keep my attention and make things fun than in an absolute sense.

And of course I would like to patronize site sponsor Smelly, all else being equal.

I'll think about it some more and poke around the internets and probably be back with some more qs. Though I ain't got much time to waste.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

10/15/14 2:18 PM

BTW, on the subject of trainer environment. Pick the coldest room you got. Even fans are not quite the same as air passing by. Also plan around dripping acid sweat on your mounted bike unless you don't care if you melt it eventually. ;)

Although not too cold if you plan you use projector.

Also, you don't have to go all in on the onset/startup. I occasionally even use the CT with no PC and choose a program from the controller.

Last edited by Sparky on 10/15/14 3:06 PM; edited 1 time in total

greglepore

10/15/14 3:01 PM

Actually, my projector did fine in 40-50 degree temps, although it was unhappy near the low end of that range, would throw a towel over it until it warmed up, just don't forget to take it off.

Dan, good video is available for the Kickr, including the veloreality stuff. I'd email Paul about ergvideo implementation.

henoch

10/15/14 3:34 PM

Another thing to look at that works with the computrrainer is trainer road and paincave.

Reply to topic    

sandiway

10/15/14 8:49 PM

I have a decades-old Computrainer with just the handlebar controller that I haven't used for more than a decade. All I remember is the 25mph then coasting down calibration for each session. It's sitting in my garage. I wonder what has changed, or has the design stayed the same?

I'm really surprised you guys have time to watch videos. When I used to use the Computrainer, all I used was a sheet of paper with times and wattages to do the workout. The workout was hard enough that I don't think I have the time or concentration left over to watch some pretty scenery...

Sandiway

Reply to topic    

Sparky

10/15/14 9:07 PM

"I wonder what has changed, or has the design stayed the same? "

Is it a pro, and what version pops up on the controller when the software boots?

If memory serves [and it does not always] Pro and above is upgradable to current. Or at least it was in 2012. when I got the dual setup.

greglepore

10/16/14 5:48 AM

Sandi-nothing has changed other than the firmware. The external support has changed dramatically The videos control the ct power levels, so you don't need the sheet of paper. I'll set up 5x4's for example, on the video and scale the power to 120% of ftp, and ride. It takes 10 minutes or so to set the video up the first time, then its saved and there. You can do this without the video as well, using free software like Golden Cheetah (a free power analysis utility that also allows you to program workouts) but the video really is a nice distraction.

Maybe you should sell yours to Dan :)

dan emery

10/16/14 6:02 AM

Old Computrainer

I've actually got an ancient one that you plugged into some gamebox - Atari or something, can't remember. Haven't used it in maybe 15 years. I'm assuming that can't be upgraded to current, and/or it wouldn't be worth it, but maybe I'm wrong...

Reply to topic    

Dave B

10/16/14 7:49 AM

Dedicated Bike

quote:
Also plan around dripping acid sweat on your mounted bike unless you don't care if you melt it eventually.

If you plan to spend a lot of time on an indoor trainer consider building up or buying a dedicated bike to avoid the inevitable damage to your good ones.

One of those $100 Nashbar aluminum frames would be a good start and the cheapest, heaviest or surplus parts would be fine so the overall cost can be quite low.

My son-in-law has my old Bridgestone 400 on his trainer and, after several years of fairly heavy use, the bottom bracket area looks like it's spent all that time immersed in acid despite his having one of these "sweat shield" towels on it. I expect a phone call any time saying the frame broke!

Anthony Smith

10/16/14 8:12 AM

Computrainer

I ve been using a CT since 2009. It is great for replicable intervals--use the erg files--even during the season in light racing weeks. If you do this right you will use it once or twice a week, because when you are done you can barely stand up and it takes a couple days of easy spinning on the rollers to recover.

Great training tool, reliable, and Racermate tech support stands behind it (even older used ones). Id look on E bay rather than buy new

PS I use my TT bike on the CT during the off season with the bars 1 cm lower than I use in competition which helps me maintain (even gain) flexibility.

Reply to topic    

greglepore

10/16/14 10:50 AM

Dan-you likely have the old nintendo version. The load generator likely can be used with a newer controller- give them a call. Wold save beaucoup bucks.

Sparky

10/16/14 10:57 AM

"The load generator likely can be used with a newer controller- give them a call."

Although the max watts it can handle is a lot lower on the early load generator. 500 or 750, I forget...

I used to go over 1000 watts semi frequently. When I had my speed skater legs at the turn of the century. The bike shop blew an early one when they mounted a tandem on it way back when.

If you are considering a new setup, I would sure call them and get the specifics. I am sure you could get a used current setup for less than, cost to get that one going even if the load gen limitation is not an issue. problem with used is going to be this time of year is Computrainer time, I got mine after the weather broke for excellent price for the dual setup. Like shopping for a used PT wheel when the weather is nice VS not. ;)

Also, what computer do you have, OS?

sandiway

10/16/14 11:16 AM

no excuse to be riding indoors

I have no excuse for riding indoors where I live.

Roll out of my front door and I have good, relatively uncrowded roads.
Weather-wise, there is no issue fall or winter.

The only time I think I'd need the computrainer is in summer. But if I can get up by 6am, even that excuse is gone.

Here's my 1 hour training loop. Half of it is a climb (the grey background). There are only 3 or 4 traffic lights to watch out for.

P.S. I might resurrect my Computrainer if I add a tiny exercise room to my house that I'll need for a treadmill.

Last edited by sandiway on 10/16/14 11:19 AM; edited 1 time in total

Reply to topic    

dan emery

10/16/14 11:18 AM

Thanks Greg

It is a Nintendo version; I shot them an email so we'll see what they say. The cost of even a new one doesn't bother me much (ha ha this is not a cheap adventure anyway), but no need to spend it I if I can get the same thing otherwise. Though I don't know what may be seized up, etc. :)

I've ridden enough inside to know about sweat, and I have a few bikes so I can easily consign one to trainer duty.

And if I stick with Smelly I can simulate training in my destination (not the specific roads I don't think):

http://ergvideo.com/Product-Detail/rvdsfpid/two-solo-climbs-in-mallorca-hd-107
[/u]

Reply to topic    

Sparky

10/16/14 11:26 AM

That is beauteous, but I got a little dizzy just looking at the right/left head movements in the boxed in rock area. Which was way cool to be sure... The area, not the dizziness. ;)

lrzipris

10/16/14 11:44 AM

What Ride?

I have to come out of lurkerdom to ask what ride you're contemplating, Dan. Can't believe no one asked.

Reply to topic    

greglepore

10/16/14 12:03 PM

Majorica? Stephan Roche camp? Always wanted to do that. Also thinking about the Hotel Belvidere in Italy...

dan emery

10/16/14 12:18 PM

Ride

Hi Roy, good to hear from you. The ride is the Mallorca 312:

http://en.mallorca312.com/home/

Me and Mig! About 193 mi, 11,500' climbing, nearly all in first 70 miles. You are supposed to finish in 14 hours, which I'm not at all sure I can do (the first century will be very slow, and I'm not sure I'll have enough time left to finish under the wire). But what the hell, it will be fun trying. You can also choose a shorter version, which has essentially the same climbing.

Planning to go with my friend Mike, who is a masters racer and probably can ride it about twice as fast as I. Our plan is to make all arrangements when registration opens 11/1, so we can't back out.

On the CT got a quick response, no dice on the upgrade:

>>Unfortunately due to the many changes we've made since the Nintendo model, it is no longer upgradeable. You would need to replace both the handlebar controller and load generator. You would also need the FTDI USB adapter.<<

Reply to topic    

lrzipris

10/16/14 1:48 PM

I don't see any internet sign of Adventure Cycling; John Large and Peter Matuzals, two noted Ottawan cyclists, run/ran? a 10-day Mallorca trip the first or second week of April, and several years ago, added a training camp. I was going to suggest it as a way for your and your friend to get some Mallorca miles in before your Mallorca 312.

In any event, have a great time there then.

Reply to topic    

dan emery

10/20/14 4:01 PM

KickR discriminates!

To use a campy cassette with KickR, you need to pay $70 for a "Campy adapter." This is an alternate free hub body part used instead of the stock part (which fits Shimano and SRAM). It is not an add on, you use one or the other. I would think most places would offer them as alternatives, not stick you $70 to use Campy. I just emailed and asked why they do not do this. Not a major cost in the big picture, but strikes me as annoying nickel and diming.

Plus the web page strikes me as a little sketchy (it has a link for the campy adapter which goes elsewhere, I had to email to get any info). Leaning toward CT as it is more tried and true.

Reply to topic    

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next  
Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -