HOMECLUBS | SPONSORS | FEATURESPHOTO GALLERYTTF DONORS | SHOP FOR GEAR

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

Emissions test et al

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
Sparky

10/14/14 1:41 PM

Emissions test et al

DEQ here, I just barely live inside the mandatory testing area.

When I got my Del Sol, the kids Dad made him sell it when it failed. Did not want him to dump money into it. I spoke with the Dad, a reverend, at length. He had a antique plate collection I donated to. :) He would dig what I had on my wall more than I.

Anyway, you get a two year registration here, thus a test before they will allow a renewal. I transferred on a plate that had 20 months left, thus no DEQ test the first time around. I had no choice and went this morning. It passed to my delight! The car being a 1994 got the anal probe method of testing.

It did have a stainless tube intake and K&N filter on it when I got it. I got a stock intake setup with original air/filter box on it first week I had it.

Wonder if the low restricted air intake was the culprit when the kid took it. I never saw the test document.

Anyway, made my day and me a happy camper. ;)

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

Matthew Currie

10/14/14 5:12 PM

It's possible too that they have different standards after a vehicle reaches a certain age, and maybe it passed. I think there's a lot of black magic in the test procedure anyway. Years ago in Connecticut, where such tests used, at least, to be done, a friend took a nice healthy economical car in, and it flunked. Then he brought in a BMW that needed a ring job. It passed, and he gleefully filled the entire building with blue smoke as he left.

I took a VW bus in once with a piece out of one of the valves. It passed on three cylinders. The engine blew later that day.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

10/14/14 5:34 PM

Both in NJ, TN and then here of course, visible smoke is a fail. I have to imagine in a lot more states this is the case as well.

Last edited by Sparky on 10/14/14 5:41 PM; edited 1 time in total

dfcas

10/14/14 5:38 PM

West by god Virginia does not have an emissions test. I bet half the vehicles would fail.

Jesus Saves

10/15/14 8:45 AM

emissions test recommendation

Your story reminds me of this week's segment of Car Talk. http://www.cartalk.com/player5/player.php?a=segment&segment=06 The audio of interest starts at about ~4:30.

Maybe you should consider purchasing some "Guaranteed to Pass" automotive product ;-) Double money back guarantee.

Reply to topic    

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -