Location: Slowing boiling over in the steamy south, Global Warming is real

9/30/14 1:42 PM

Nikola Pedals

kook job or real?

http://www.nikolainnovation.com/

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

Sparky

9/30/14 2:10 PM

interesting... At the risk of hurting myself, I will think on it.

Internet fodder:
A set of stainless steel Nikolas will sell for US$339, while a pair in titanium will go for $549.

Stainless are claimed at just under 300g. The Titanium model comes in at an estimated 225g with a 250lb rider weight limit with steel bolt and 180lb with titanium bolt.

KerryIrons

9/30/14 7:10 PM

2:15?

"Saves 135 seconds in a 40K time trial"

Now THAT is world class BS.

Reply to topic    

ErikS

10/1/14 4:46 AM

My thoughts exactly. That is a shit load of time and every pro for 22,0000 miles would be riding them years ago.

Brian Nystrom

10/1/14 5:48 AM

I question whether it will trash my hips

The lateral movement just doesn't seem like a good idea, but I'd be willing to test ride them to see. I certainly won't buy any at their prices!

Here's something that I do find interesting:

http://www.roadbikereview.com/reviews/new-product-speedplay-aero-and-walkable-pedal-system

It's not the aerodynamics so much as the walkable cleats that come with plugs. Brilliant!

Reply to topic    

PLee

10/1/14 8:20 AM

I find the Nikola interesting. I always felt somewhat constrained in pedaling perfect circles; my heels always tended to rotate outwards at the bottom of the pedal cycle. Maybe lateral motion is what my feet were naturally trying to do.

Reply to topic    

JohnC

10/1/14 10:22 AM

Yeah, Parkin, my initial reaction was that it might benefit some people, though I agree that the efficiency "data" seem bogus. I especially noted this:

quote:
Test results of nearly 2/3rds of the male riders showed a range of performance improvements in Net Efficiency or Peak Power.

So something over half of riders showed improvements in some "range" (statistical significance?) with a device that can't be used blind (you'd be able to feel the movement), thus likely involving some placebo/ psychological effect.

But it might help some people's mechanics. It was not clear to me whether it has rotational float as well as the lateral movement. So many riders benefit from rotational float that I don't think you'd want only the lateral.

At that price, I'll never try them.

Sparky

10/1/14 10:34 AM

"thus likely involving some placebo/ psychological effect."

Who knows if they sold the riders on the concept prior to the actual testing I guess is a great question

"So many riders benefit from rotational float that I don't think you'd want only the lateral. "

That occurred to me as well. Trying to imagine how float and rotation might feel. I remember the time I tried the speedplays. The non limited float and feeling after being so used to a set amount... well, my feeling was I could never get used to that. And walking on them was ultimately terrible. ;) Frogs I never tried, but looking at them in my mind they might work more sensibly. Then Paul and Nate kind of convinced me to try Keywins. Three sets/bike to this day 15 years later.

I did have some SPDRs fall in my lap, so I got cleats and tried them. I like the way they feel, but hardly ride that bike really....

All that aside, I would happily test these, but not at my own expense.

And of course there stack, cleat cost/durability. I mean in 15 years I have only 'had' to replaced 3 keywin cleats. Always my right/stopping clip out. Although saying always when it has averaged 5 year between...

walter

10/1/14 2:45 PM

seems silly to me

snake oil

ErikS

10/1/14 3:17 PM

Much of the products we are sold are snake oil. I had a guy ask me last week if I ever used coconut water in place of regular water on the bike. He read there were benefits beyond the normal calories in various sports drinks. Snake oil and I told him such.

Medicinal areas are always snake oil in my book. Remember glycerine as taken to absorb and hold extra water during your race and ride? The original snake oil, Endurox (the pill, not the protein infused drink) that was supposed to increase VO2 max.

Eat the proper mix of simple and complex carbs and pick the best tolerated sports drink to water down and drink during LONG rides and races. Nothing fancier is needed to win.

The pedals, seem like a way to blow up my healthy knees. I won't mess with what has worked with no injuries for many years. A static Q-Factor. I tried using successfully speedplay pedals for the rotational float but found that properly set up SPDR pedals are more stable, longer lasting and are just fine on my knees. I put my rookie wife on speedplays because of long standing knee issues she has dealt with.

I won't buy the lateral movement and changing Q-Factor as a good thing until I see someone ride and win using them on LONG stage races where fit and biomechanics are such a huge factor.

I am glad to see skeptics like me WRT to these pedals.

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -