HOMECLUBS | SPONSORS | FEATURESPHOTO GALLERYTTF DONORS | SHOP FOR GEAR

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

Big tires on Crosscheck? Big fenders?

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
bboston75

9/17/14 9:52 AM

Big tires on Crosscheck? Big fenders?

My craigslist Surly Crosscheck still has its stock 32 tires, and it thought it might feel better in loose gravel with bigger tires. Local cglist has a pair of IRC Mythos CX 42s. Too big? Surly site says the Crosscheck will take up to 40 with fenders & 42 without. I like to ride this on my local trail when it's too wet for the road but I know my current road size fenders won't work. What might work?

Reply to topic    

sanrensho

9/17/14 2:12 PM

On my Kona Jake, I found Mythos 42 to be a bit wide for my liking. The 42 width seemed to cross the borderline between CX bike and XC MTB.

That is, I felt that the Mythos 42 was suited for terrain where I would start to think about riding a XC MTB instead.

I would suggest trying something in the 35-38 range first before grabbing the Mythos, it will feel a lot more nimble and fun than the Mythos (unless you are wanting something between a 'cross bike and XC bike).

Last edited by sanrensho on 9/17/14 3:20 PM; edited 1 time in total

Reply to topic    

Sparky

9/17/14 3:14 PM

I can't imagine liking the feel of those huge tires. I can't stand the feel of the original 2.4/2.2 tires on the 28mm wide rims on my Gary 29er. I like fast floats over crap with 1.95s myself.

A month or two ago, a guy on one of the fat tire bike went past me on the Esplanade path like I was in reverse. The noise of the tire was great! It was near the busiest section of walkers and runners. Else it would have only seemed like I was doing 2-3 MPH when he passed me. I slow way down in that section, h was going all out...

It was impressive though...

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

April

9/17/14 4:59 PM

The moment you go off the pavement...

...you're entering a world of tire compromises!

There's never the right tires for all the sections. There's ALWAYS one section when you wish you have fatter tires, and at least one other section where you're slogging your fat @rs tires along something buttery smooth while dreaming of road slicks!

I felt that way on my mtn bike trail rides. I felt that way on my cx bike off-road rides also. It's really a balancing act of which section I'd rather enjoy and which section I'm just putting up with.

Sorry I haven't actually answered your question. I just thought you might want to keep that in mind when choosing tires.

GT

9/17/14 5:13 PM

I've got a Salsa Vaya that I use with 40's (Kenda Happy Mediums currently) and fenders. For fenders I'm using a set of Cascadia 29's from Planet Bike. They're too wide to use stock on a cross/touring bike, but with a few modifications they've worked great for the past several years, first on a cross bike and now on the Vaya.

For clearance at the fork legs and seat stays I took out half-moons with a Dremmel. To compensate for the material removed, to the inside of the fender I added a thin piece of aluminum bar stock rolled to match the curve of the fenders with a handful of pop rivets. I added a metal mounting bracket to the rear fender at the same time in place of the plastic bracket that came with the fenders.

Similar relief was required at the chain stays, plus some additional material removal on the drive-side to clear the chain in all gear combinations.

Reply to topic    

bboston75

9/19/14 8:07 PM

"Unless you are wanting something between a cross bike and anXC bike"
Actually, I think I am. I want something to ride on the packed dirt and gravel trails in the woods in the Philly suburbs when it's too cold and damp (for me) for the road. I have an Airborne Lucky Strike with 1.75 tires, which I used for trails for years, but. I can't stand flat bars for more than about half an hour, even with fancy Ergon grips and bar ends, so when I found a Crosscheck small enough for me on Craigslist I. jumped on it. I picked up the big tires today and ill put them on next week when I get back from our New England trip. They don't look that huge and I think they'll increase my confidence on loose, sketchy surfaces. I'm sure I'll have to sacrifice my current fenders, but I'll look into the Cascadias.

Reply to topic    

Nick Payne

9/20/14 4:07 PM

Elephant Bikes National Forest Explorer. Supposedly can fit 2.1" knobbies without fenders or 42mm with:

http://www.elephantbikes.com/stock/

Reply to topic    

Sparky

9/20/14 4:12 PM

Passed a guy today pulling a trailer with a fat tire bike with two kids in the trailer. The direction we were going was windy with gusts to 26-7 MPH and a steady 12-14 the other 1/2 of the time it was not gusting. Elaine did not appreciate it much. We averaged 60-65% faster on the return.

I can't help wondering if the guy towing with 4" wide knobbies was on the back leg of the same out and back we were on.

bboston75

10/5/14 9:40 AM

Put the 42 tires on, like them - much more confidence on loose gravel and nice float.
Got some SKS 47 fenders. Front works fine, back fits into the stays fine, but not enough tire clearance. Guess I'll try one of those seat post clip ons. Better than nothing. Back to REI.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

10/5/14 9:56 AM

Which 42/tires did you get ??

Last edited by Sparky on 10/5/14 5:33 PM; edited 1 time in total

bboston75

10/5/14 5:15 PM

IRC Mythos 42

Reply to topic    

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -