CYCLINGFORUM.COM - Where Cyclists Talk Tech --- Return To Home

Register FAQ'sSearchProfileLog In / Log Out

cyclingforum.com ****

HOMECLUBS | SPONSORS | FEATURESPHOTO GALLERYTTF DONORS | SHOP FOR GEAR

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

OS/BB30 and adapters for HollowTech-II cranks.

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
Sparky

9/13/14 3:58 PM

OS/BB30 and adapters for HollowTech-II cranks.

Adapters are an issue to be aware of if your purchase is steering you into use of them.

The Roubaix came with a compact Sora HT-II crank with adapters from OSBB 30mm to HT-II 24mm crank axle. The adapters are expensive looking well finished machined, and tight fitting.

I pulled the Sora cranks after one short ride and put on 10 speed DuraAce cranks. Both are HT-II Shimano.

Was getting some snap crackle and pops after 40-50 miles. Tightened the side to side a little more and it was quiet for most of the next ride.

I popped on a Compact Ultegra HT-II crankset, same 50 miles then noise, argh. Pulled cleaned greased, noise now there from the start... eesshhh...

The Praxis BB insert to the OSBB shell is a fix apparently, but so would be a BB30 crankset I imagine. So why spend $85.00 on the BB when you could put it toward a BB30 crankset one might ask?

Last night I pulled cleaned and greased, and added an o-ring against the spider on the drive side. I used a high quality automotive hi-temp of maybe 1.5mm diameter rubber. So this 0-ring compresses when you tighten the side load cap before the crank are cinch bolts are tightened.

On the test ride, silent, and not a peep out of the system on this mornings ride. Using the Compact 6750 Ultegra crankset still.

It was a short ride, but more miles will tell.. I am hoping it is a permanent solution. I can not imagine the grief the use of these adapters may be causing for new bikes getting brought back for emitting this noise!! lot of forum rant about it too!

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

Tim123

9/13/14 5:05 PM

The joys of adapters!
Think Wheels Manufacturing do an adapter as well as a replacement bottom bracket similar to the Praxis one.

Curious, do you have an alloy or carbon BB shell on your Roubaix?
Even with my Praxis BB, I have still had one or two clicks from time to time that I "think" are BB related, hard to tell where noises come from at times, but I have a carbon BB shell.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

9/13/14 5:21 PM

"alloy or carbon BB shell on your Roubaix"

AL shell, and the sides are maybe 7-8 mm tall. but I saw no tap marks on the sides of the sleeve. I did notice the Wheels Manufacturing solution shows spacers for chainline dialing and making up minute width as well I am guessing...

I am not positive if only the S-Works have the carbon shell. But my guess is that the 8-10R are AL and the 11R and S-works are carbon shell. So that would be the Pro and S-Works I believe, at least I read that was the case with the SL4 Tarmacs.

I think I will tough it out for now and put a BB30 crankset in there at some point. Later if the o-ring keeps it quiet. I could live with the occasional pop, but more than that... Fuggeddabouddit

Sparky

9/13/14 5:32 PM

Just saw a compatibility PDF from Specialized that specs the 'Wheels Manufacturing BB30-SHIM' for HT-II crank use in OSBB.

Also, the spec indicates 4mm wider for the carbon shell. There may well be the data point... I am going to check this next time I have it out, see if it is 4mm less.

There were no spacers in mine with the original cranks. Maybe my o-ring is the spacer I needed. ;)

Tim123

9/14/14 5:13 AM

" the spec indicates 4mm wider for the carbon shell" - I know with the Praxis and the OSBB Carbon shell on the S-Works it need 2 additional sleeves (one on each side) inserted before the Praxis BB goes in compared to the alloy BB shell fitting.

with regard to chainline spacing, I think the Praxis is quite good there as when you tighten the drive side part of the BB you crank it down until it bottoms out to a machined stop within the non-drive side which is supposed to set the bearing width dead on Shimano's specs, rather than needing spacers etc.

Reply to topic    

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -