HOMECLUBS | SPONSORS | FEATURESPHOTO GALLERYTTF DONORS | SHOP FOR GEAR

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

New England Hillclimb Fun

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
dan emery

9/13/14 3:42 PM

New England Hillclimb Fun

Had a great ride today in the Mt. Greylock Hillclimb, starting in N. Adams, MA. It's a time trial, starts @30 sec, but it's low key and I just ride it to get to the top. It's a wonderful mountain with which I'm familiar, I went to college next to it and lived afterward a block from where the race starts. I first rode up the mtn in '74. Since they were nice enough to schedule the ride on my birthday this year, I figured it was time to hit it again. It's a cool event but you can ride up anytime (weather permitting).

It's 9 miles, average grade around 6%, but that includes quite a few flat and even slightly downhill sections, so the actual climbing is a lot steeper than that. The first mile is a particular kick in the butt - start up the steep Furnace St. and then you get a 14% pitch followed by 17% (according to road signs but doesn't seem out of line to me).

It's a beautiful route, winding up Italian Hill in North Adams, then onto the Greylock Reservation. Today it was in the 40s, a bit gusty and socked in the last few miles. So not optimal for views, but still great.

So I highly recommend both the event and just riding up the road. You can also ride up the other side but I haven't done that.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

9/13/14 4:01 PM

Does sound like fun. Did you get a chance to start warmed up?

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

April

9/13/14 4:07 PM

Good job!

I was just talking to my buddy on Friday about doing the north side of Greylock. I've only done it from the south side, which wasn't too hard at all. The north side is definitely much harder. I'm going to have to find a time to do it before the season run away from me...

dan emery

9/13/14 4:16 PM

Warm up

Ha ha yeah, I rode up the first .7 mile, the worst part, which got me warmed up for about the next month....

We stayed at the Holiday Inn across the street from the start so we just rode over and it was easy to warm up.

Reply to topic    

LeeW

9/13/14 9:52 PM

Sounds awesome Dan! I didn't realize they were still holding the TT.

I grew up outside of Pittsfield and have enjoyed many good days riding, hiking, and exploring on Mt G.

My next goal was to hike up and ski the Thunderbolt. I've hiked it in the summer, but everytime I visit in the Winter, it seems there is not enough snow cover. I'll get it some day.

Lee

Reply to topic    

LeeW

9/13/14 9:56 PM

Dan, where did you attend college? Williams or NA State?

Is there a website for the TT? I assume it is sponsored by a local bike club now?

Lee

Reply to topic    

dan emery

9/14/14 5:35 AM

@Lee

I went to Williams, then I was a Vista Volunteer in North Adams for 2 years, so I'm pretty attached to the area.

You're exactly right about the time trial, it was run for years by The Spoke bike shop in Williamstown, then I guess the road was closed for repairs for a couple years, now the Northampton CC runs the race:

http://greylocktt.nohobikeclub.org

Great Thoreau quote. Returning to the area for this and D2R2 (Deerfield) reminds me how beautiful it is.

I'm not a downhill skier but I've read of the Thunderbolt and it sounds awesome - go for it!

Reply to topic    

Jesus Saves

9/14/14 6:16 AM

Whiteface mountain climb

I've never done Greylock, but did climb Mount Washington in (nearby?) Great Barrington, MA.

I ran up Whiteface mountain in a foot race yesterday. I've done the bike race up the mountain for many years which is held in June. Running it was a first. 8 miles @ 8% avg grade, it kicked my butt. The Wilmington, NY race organizers do a great job with both events.

Reply to topic    

Dave B

9/14/14 8:11 AM

Did it Partly

My sister has a sumer home in Pittsfield and i've ridden part of the Mt Greylock climb approaching it from Pittsfield on northbound Williamstown Road (Rt 7) onto Scott Rd and then onto Greylock road so i'm not sure which "side" i climbed. South?

I got up to where the road descends for a short distance before it resumes climbing when I ran out of time and wasn't certain how much further it was to the top. We later drove our car all the way up and apparently I turned around about half way. The grades were hard but not terrible. I've got to do it all the way next time I get the chance.

dan emery

9/14/14 9:00 AM

@Dave

Yeah that's the more southerly side. As I said I haven't ridden it, but in general I think it's a longer, more gradual approach. The hardest part of the race is actually coming off the start line on Furnace St. and Reservoir Rd. in North Adams, before you even really get to Greylock. Then there are some cool hairpins on Notch Rd.

Reply to topic    

dfcas

9/14/14 9:39 AM

happy Birthday.

LeeW

9/14/14 4:18 PM

The locals used to call the 2 summit roads the Lanesborough approach (up Rockwell rd from the visitor's center) and the North Adams approach (up Notch rd from W North Adams). I've ridden both and the Laneborough approach is longer, but has a lower average % grade.

Dan, I recall that about 5-6 years ago, both roads were closed for about 1.5 years (or more?) while they did a total revamp with erosion control, new road bed, and pavement. The pavement used to be quite patchy before that and had several spots that would periodically sink or buckle.

Last time I went up, the road surfaces were quite good, but unfortunately (from my POV, not from the state's) it resulted in a large increase in crowds at the summit on a nice day and then they started charging for parking. I think I liked it better when crowds were non existent and you could enjoy the mtn without running into someone at every turn.

I'll second the happy BD wish!

Reply to topic    

dan emery

9/14/14 4:39 PM

Routes

Yeah, the tt course is from North Adams but rather than starting from Notch Rd off Rt 2, it starts on Furnace St off Rt 8, then to Reservoir Rd which intersects Notch Rd. The hardest part is before you get to Notch, I think the original course designers made a point to choose the most challenging route.

Thanks for the bday wishes. Bdays are a bit of a mixed blessing at his point, but if I can leverage it into motivation to do a good ride, I'll call it good!

Reply to topic    

April

9/14/14 5:49 PM

Bday

Many bike club has "birthday rides" for those whose age is such it would make for a nice long ride!

I wonder if there's a way to convert the elevation to a convinient number that reflects the age? ;-)

Happy Birthday, Dan! Nothing beats a good bike ride on your birthday.

(a side note, my birthday is in an "in between" month, too cold to bike but out of prime ski season for me to even qualify for "free ski on your birthday"!) :(

Dave B

9/15/14 7:06 AM

quote:
The locals used to call the 2 summit roads the Lanesborough approach (up Rockwell rd from the visitor's center) and the North Adams approach (up Notch rd from W North Adams). I've ridden both and the Laneborough approach is longer, but has a lower average % grade.

Dan, I recall that about 5-6 years ago, both roads were closed for about 1.5 years (or more?) while they did a total revamp with erosion control, new road bed, and pavement. The pavement used to be quite patchy before that and had several spots that would periodically sink or buckle.

Yes, I took the Lanesboro approach as I did pass the Visitor's Center and was on Rockwell Rd. The road condition was very good this time and it was in late September on a week day so the traffic was very sparse.

I did try to ride it a few years ago but the road was under construction from just above the visitor's center and was officially closed to traffic. I rode a 1/2 mile or so up the closed section but it was in such bad condition that I didn't continue.

dan emery

9/15/14 8:55 AM

Strong Field

Glancing over the results, I hadn't realized what a strong field this was. 170 riders, I wasn't dfl but not that far from it. More telling, my 2 buddies there are pretty damn good climbers, and they were just 45 and 55 overall. The winner averaged 13.2 mph, yikes.

A compliment to the organizers that there was such a good field yet the event was still fun for dubs like me.

Reply to topic    

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -