Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

eBay money, spent it
 Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
Brian Nystrom

9/3/14 8:59 PM

Have you weighed them yet?

I'm curious if they're anywhere close to the spec'd weight.

One word of caution about the skewers. I have several similar sets and when tightening a front skewer one day, the threads stripped out of the aluminum barrel in the lever. I ended up machining a bunch of steel replacements and swapped out all of the Al parts. Everything else has been fine and I've even been using them on the 'cross bike.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

9/3/14 9:15 PM

"1383 grams on the scales"

Direct eMail quote.

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

ErikS
Location: Slowing boiling over in the steamy south, Global Warming is real

9/4/14 1:16 AM

@Brian thanks for the heads up. I will watch them closely and if need be just will use my normal ones.

ErikS

9/4/14 4:41 PM

Used the front only today. Very nice handling. Plenty stiff but not brutal. A few pops at the spokes settled but the wheel stayed true.

It felt faster even in the brutal heat and wind I dealt with today. In fact it was my fastest lunch ride of the week but also the worst conditions.

1 ride does not set a trend and I have to get the rear rolling for a full review. First impressions are positive. The rim shape dealt with wind well no real spooky blows across the lanes or anything.

sanrensho

9/5/14 10:21 AM

Did you keep the box/invoice? Any clues as to who the actual supplier/factory is?

Reply to topic    

ErikS

9/5/14 2:19 PM

I did but I can't read the Chinese on the seller's side of the label. They called it "sample bike parts" and valued the box at $100 USD. The rest is little stick houses and such to me.

April

9/5/14 2:26 PM

The "sample" and the $100 is for the US custom, which allows "sale sample" value under $100 to enter duty free.

If you photograph the stick houses and put it up here, I can tell you WHERE it's shipped from. But would that make much sense to anyone? Only if you're familiar with the factories there that you can correlate to other parts also made in the same factory.

sanrensho

9/5/14 2:37 PM

Yes, address won't be of much help and I'm not enough of a detective to try and verify who the manufacturer is.

Oh well. Hope the wheels work well for you. I bet you'll like them enough to make them daily drivers.

Reply to topic    

April

9/5/14 3:33 PM

Even if the shipping lable has the manufacturer's name on it, it would only be meaningful if you already know which factory makes parts for other brand etc.

ErikS

9/5/14 5:55 PM

I sent you a picture.

April

9/5/14 6:18 PM

Just sent you a response.

Basically, the "company" box was blank.

The "address" box reads: "Across the street from the Shenzhen Post Office"!!! :D

(BTW, the shipping label wasn't a post office shipping label, rather it looks to be some outfit the equivelant of DHL etc. So my guess the shipper is a well known shipping agent located "across the street from the post office!")

ErikS

9/6/14 12:39 PM

learned the spacer is a different size from my normal ones. The hub is definitely an 11spd. I had the 10spd spacer on it and the cassette rattled.

Sparky

9/6/14 1:04 PM

So what size spacer does an 11 speed use with a 10 speed cassette? I know the 10 speed cassette uses a 1mm on pre-11s freehubs. I think I know that.

Wonder if two 1mm spacers work, they are steel I should mention perhaps...

Send me a pic to post of the bike with the wheels on for the thread if you want to, like to see it dressed.

ErikS

9/6/14 1:17 PM

It appears to be about twice as thick as a normal spacer. I had to use the included one to have things fit correctly.

The bike is pigged out with sweat right now. Let me wash it before I send a picture. Riding in the southland is hard on a bike because of the gallons of sweat that drip all over the bike. I can have it running down my legs at 25mph on a normal summer day. Disgusting at times.

Sparky

9/6/14 10:22 PM

Did you in a ride with both wheels? Any opinions yet?

I am wanting to order the 38mm disc ones for the Roubaix. Waiting on CC to cycle and your report. ;)

Although looking at some of the spoke angles giive me pause. Or is that optical?

ErikS

9/7/14 5:53 AM

Hold your horses. Give me a chance, unlike most folks my weekends don't often afford me time to ride and the weather is suspect today. Jeeze, my bike lives in my SUV not my garage.

I will let y'all know when I have ridden them together.

Sparky

9/7/14 9:32 AM

LOL

Sparky

9/7/14 6:15 PM

Spoke/drillings and disc brake.

Moved to new thread....

Sparky

9/8/14 9:52 AM

Eriks Sled

ErikS

9/8/14 2:22 PM

Got in a quick 33k on them at lunch between rain storms here.

They are quick to spin up. Faster overall. Nothing blew up under me so there you have it. They don't stop as well with wet rims but when dry they do fine. I don't have a TdF decent near me so I won't ever get them super hot to find that limit.

Ask again after 10 rides.

The quality is pretty good.

Sparky

9/8/14 2:51 PM

Boids of a feather, although mine is less like a feather with those wheels... ;) 80/50mm with lots of spokes.

ErikS

9/8/14 5:17 PM

No thanks, cross winds? Hahaha!

Sparky

9/8/14 5:25 PM

If you add in your down tube area, and add in the area of all your other tubes as well, you probably have more for the wind to bit than the Scott with the 80/50 with out your wheels. ;)

The front does tend to steer in auto pilot though.

It was so windy Friday, even with 25mm rims I got sent off my line 2-3 times...

ErikS

9/12/14 4:57 PM

A week on the set, no doubt they are faster and the guestimate said they are worth about 30 watts matches the numbers I see estimated by Strava.

The bar is a great upgrade for sure, it fits me nicely, and I now spend much more time in the drops and they take the sting out of the stiff fork on my bike.

The wheels are stiffer than my Al wheels, but in a good way.

One thing I have found. On a local hill that is about 10% for 50 or so meters, I normally find I stand and hammer using the little ring, with these wheels I can easily stay in the big ring. I think it is because of the weight loss. When we stand the process is much like a series of pulsing stomps on the pedals which are fighting the the inertia of the wheels with each acceleration. The weight loss makes those pulses easier so I can stand and climb easier.

About the braking, well I don't need tons of alpine braking here but I have found that when dry they do just as well if not better than my Al rims. Oh, they will flat scream at you if you are dragging the bike down in a hard stop. In a nut the braking is as good if not better than Al wheels as long as things are dry.

greglepore

9/13/14 4:58 AM

The scream is either glaze or the wrong pad compound, they shouldn't make much noise. After a break in, clean the track with acetone or something.

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next  
Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -