View posts since last visit

Learning to play the Guitar
 Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
ErikS
Location: Slowing boiling over in the steamy south, Global Warming is real

8/11/14 7:48 PM

Learning to play the Guitar

So I have started tackling this bucket list item.

Grarageband from Apple appears to have a pretty good place to start with 38 automated lessons for 4.99.

Looking for other sources because Sparky is not in my neighborhood.

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

Sparky

8/11/14 8:41 PM

I could only teach you Jimmy Page licks. ;)

Nick Payne

8/11/14 11:14 PM

Probably worthwhile getting at least a few lessons off a qualified teacher, in order to get some of the basic technical elements correct. Saves time in the long run as you're less likely to adopt bad habits which might cause problems later on.

You don't say what sort of guitar playing you're interested in. I play classical, and one of the guitar forums I frequent has what looks like a pretty good set of online lessons in video format: http://www.classicalguitardelcamp.com/viewforum.php?f=41 - the guy running the lessons is actually a professor of guitar at a music conservatory in France. With a bit of googling you can probably find similar lessons for any style of guitar.

Reply to topic    

ErikS

8/12/14 3:11 AM

Style? Think Tim Reynolds who plays with Dave Mathews. 1/100 of that skill would impress me.

Andy M-S

8/12/14 4:56 AM

Another way...

When I started learning 36 or 37 years ago, I bought a Bob Dylan songbook that had chord blocks showing where to put my fingers, and went from there.

I've never used GB (or anything else), and I've paid for precisely one lesson (basic fingerpicking).

Most of what I know I learned from watching at the Coffee House Extempore, and from playing bluegrass with the custodians at the Mpls. Newman Center (learned about bass runs from those guys).

So...

Here's what I'd do: (1) Get a songbook with chord blocks for an artist you like and know *well* (because chord changes are seldom where they show them to be in the books). (1a) Alternatively, get a book of chord blocks and (1b) print out some "lyrics and chords" from the WWW.

(2) Find a bunch of other people who play and who are willing to let you hang out with them. Ask questions, trade ideas.

(3) Play 1-3 hours per day.

I think the social aspect (see [2]) is critical; you can get that through paying for lessons, but guitar is really an "oral tradition" thing.

And make sure you have a decent guitar! The number of people who give up because they're playing sub-par instruments is rather large.

JohnC

8/12/14 9:10 AM

quote:
When I started learning 36 or 37 years ago, I bought a Bob Dylan songbook that had chord blocks showing where to put my fingers, and went from there.

Andy, that's exactly how I learned, except it was more like 47 years ago. "Don't think twice, it's all right" was the first song I learned (I still play it). I had some roommates who played pretty well. We'd figure out the chords when a new song came out that we liked. Some were especially good for lengthy smoke-fueled jamming (Neil Young's "Down by the River", e.g.,)

I never got really good, but I play chords well enough to accompany singing, and I fingerpick a little. Played a lot for my kids when they were growing up, and two of them are musicians -- one pretty serious (my daughter sings opera).

A guitar is a fine thing. And as for the decent guitar requirement, it doesn't have to have spectacular sound, as long as the action is easily playable. I started on a really bad cheap guitar, and after a couple of my friends broke it horsing around, they bought me a used nylon-string guitar (Japanese knockoff of a Spanish classical model) that I played for years, until my wife surprised me with one of these. It's probably too good for me, but I love playing it.

Sparky

8/12/14 9:37 AM

My suggestions might follow a path something like this.

1st, have a guitar yet? Something with reasonable action for a beginner helpful. Maybe even an Electric. Price range will depict. I have some good suggestions for used in a few price ranges. Don't get caught up in laminated top VS Solid at first.

1b) Unless you have spare coin to use, some more expensive acoustics will not go down in value appreciably, thus not be a waste of money. And you can have the use of a better instrument for the duration. One possible purchase path.

One of my most used Acoustics is all laminated. It is easy to control loud when amplified. I do not mean amplified like an electric. The amp and pickups are strictly to maintain the acoustic sound live. And there will be all kinds of phasing and feedback challenges involved here.

2nd, Internet and tabs will probably be the fastest way to actually learn/play songs. Think of this as contemporary Mel Blank books. ;)

2b) So pick less complicated songs with fewer chords/changes as a start. You can even go back in time for a result here. Songs like Satisfaction, Gloria Heart of Gold, easy to get the grove rolling on. Early Cat Stevens songs also good choice.

If you can sing at all well [unlike me] I suggest incorporating right from the start.

Last edited by Sparky on 8/12/14 10:55 AM; edited 1 time in total

Sparky

8/12/14 9:38 AM

Purchase point: If there is a Guitar Center near you, they have both plenty of used guitars and 30 day satisfaction return policies.

Andy M-S

8/12/14 10:44 AM

@JohnC

My first decent guitar was an Ovation Country Artist, and it made a huge difference in learning to play (prior to that, I was using an el-cheapo no-name my mother had bought, along with some Mel Bay books, years before.

Having a guitar that feels and sounds good makes a world of difference. Wish I still had my Ovation! But in any event, a couple of years later I bought a discounted Martin OO-18, which I still own and play almost daily. Played it at my oldest son's wedding a little over a year ago.

Most of us aren't good enough for our bikes, so we shouldn't be good enough for our guitars, either. But it does give us something to aspire to!

Additional note: I hate and loathe Mel Bay to this day!

Additional additional note: "Don't think twice" was one of my firsts, too. Must have to do with being in a certain age range...

Additional, additional, additional note:

Here are my current companions, the OO-18 on the left.

ErikS

8/12/14 1:33 PM

Yep I have a guitar. I bought it for my son about 7 years ago when he showed interest. It is a decent acoustic from a local shop. 3/4 size which I actually like. It sounds nice and has wonderful wood. Buying an Ovation to learn on is like buying a R5CA because you wanna be a roadie. If I pick it up easily I may think about a nicer instrument in a few years. My guitar is Samick Gregg Bennet ST91 with all over mahogany to include the top. It has beautiful wood and I guess sounds okay. The reviews are good. My fingers are not yet. In fact they hurt.

Those of you with Macs, check out the teaching modules on GarageBand. They do everything y'all have mentioned and much more. Things like evaluating your cords as you play them and top quality explanations and clear demostrations of the cords and picking.

I will give a better review as I use it more. Right now I have hide in a closet when I mess around with the guitar. The family should not be subjected to the infantile noises that come out of it.

http://bestacousticguitarever.com/acoustic-guitars/samick-acoustic-guitar-review/

Andy M-S

8/13/14 3:37 AM

This goes here.

http://gawker.com/welcome-to-guitar-center-a-nightmare-from-which-youll-1620372802

ErikS

8/13/14 4:13 AM

Odd, not a single reference tone of the greatest contemporary acoustic guitarist. Tim Reynolds.

Break out your favorite Dave CD and listen to it beyond his haunting voice. The guitar work is amazing. Tim must have fingers as tough as the steel strings on his guitar. Mine hurt like the butt of a rookie roadie!!! I can't feel my left finger tips. HAHAHA.

Andy M-S

8/13/14 6:34 AM

Campy v. Shimano

Your fingers will hurt until you build up callouses. Hence the need to play for hours daily. Your callouses are getting there when you find yourself biting them off in idle moments.

And if you want to hear my idea of a great guitarist, may I strongly suggest Mr. Richard Thompson. I have excellent seats for his October show in Hartford!

rickhardy
Location: Needham outside of Boston - the hub of the universe

8/13/14 10:40 AM

You could start with this :)

[url][/url]

Reply to topic    

Sparky

8/13/14 10:54 AM

An amazing acoustic wielding guitar player is Monte Montgomery. Be warned, although he plays an acoustic, not very folk like. ;)

Google his Sarah Smile, some really good versions.
And if your like a Hendrix re-dux, his Little Wing on Acoustic is pretty out there.

The last thing I learned/taught myself on the acoustic was Bron Yr Aur, not stomp. Although that is a fun one too for acoustic. But Bron Yr Aur is one of my more fav Page/Zepp compositions.

There are a lot of You Tube VID lessons on most songs you might dig. This was the method I chose to learn Bron Yr Aur.

Little Zepp Back story:
I was a bass player until 15ish. I stayed up all night with a record player in the quiet of night. Just listening to Stairway to Heaven via the sound of the needle on the record. It was my first magnetic cartridge and I learned quickly my stereo did not have the required pre-amp for it. I used an electric guitar my sis's boyfriend left at out house.

I played Stairway the next day for my sis and boyfriend. About an hour later they came in and said they where giving me the 60s Guild electric guitar, a Guild Thunderbird which I unfortunately do not have anymore. ;) Thus Page was my main guitar motivation, being the point. I stopped playing bass that day and started wearing frets off guitars from that day forward. Still keep a bass around, used to accompany my sons who both daddle on various instruments et al.

My point to Erik, or anyone motivated to diddle. Find the music that most touched you starting with the less complicated preferable, and have at it.

ErikS

8/13/14 4:33 PM

I am just working on cords and such. I can't even think about a true tune yet.

My fingers feel my like I smashed them with a hammer while driving nails, drunk.

I have found the apple product very good at teaching the basics. Plus I can watch the demostrations of the techniques over and over again.

dfcas

8/13/14 5:05 PM

Lots of guitar players on here. I started at 12, but don't play much anymore. My only talent was the ability to hear chord changes and figure out how to play songs. Also played the Hammond organ and Leslie and I am thinking about buying a setup again, mostly to have for nostaldia but I may play it some.

Andy M-S

8/13/14 5:46 PM

lots of folks of a certain age...

nm

dfcas

8/13/14 6:14 PM

My son plays and his birthday is next week. I'm gonna buy him a tube type amp. We tried them a while back and he picked a favorite, so I plan to surprise him with it. We live in a solid state free zone.

Sparky

8/13/14 6:17 PM

"Also played the Hammond organ and Leslie and I am thinking about buying a setup again"

A B3 with a Leslie to me is one of the most awesome sounding electrified instruments.

And nobody does it better than Joey DeFrancesco.
And when Frank Vignola is along for the ride, even better.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhFIupVoVKc

Sparky

8/13/14 6:36 PM

A way more Hammond in this link, Some Joey DeFrancesco and Lonnie Smith duking it out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1bDS284XZ5o

Andy M-S

8/13/14 6:46 PM

A B3 with a Leslie to me is one of the most awesome sounding

Preach it, bro.

sandiway

8/13/14 6:59 PM

quote:
So I have started tackling this bucket list item

I've always wanted to learn too!
Maybe someday...

Sandiway

Reply to topic    

ErikS

8/13/14 7:05 PM

Sandiway, there is not time like the present.

My epiphany was that very thing and I decided now is the best time to do or learn ANYTHING!!

Your math skills, dude you will be playing anything you want in 6 months, me not so much but I will continue to try.

sandiway

8/13/14 7:13 PM

quote:
My epiphany was that very thing and I decided now is the best time to do or learn ANYTHING!!

True up to a certain extent. However I'm up to my neck in work at least until the end of the year... :(

I know you've finished your schoolwork and it's perfect timing to fill that gap with something like this. I'm glad you're taking that opportunity.

quote:
Your math skills,

I'm not musically talented. I know that for a fact.
(When I was young my parents forced me to learn the piano.)

However, in later life, I'd like the opportunity to have another crack at a musical instrument at my own bidding and pace. The guitar or saxophone...

Sandiway

Reply to topic    

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next  
Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -