HOMECLUBS | SPONSORS | FEATURESPHOTO GALLERYTTF DONORS | SHOP FOR GEAR

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

Definate Spoiler TDF

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
Sparky

7/9/14 8:59 AM

Definate Spoiler TDF

Froome crashes a few times before they even got to the cobbles. I think that wrist injury was a non starter even though he started. But I saw him getting into the team car, so it looks like an abandon. I feel for him. Fell left side yesterday, then last one today on his right. Limped to the team car holding his arm at a 90^ angle with slow movements, if any on that arm. But no opposite hand on the clav FWIW...

Last edited by Sparky on 7/9/14 3:04 PM; edited 1 time in total

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

Andy M-S

7/9/14 9:17 AM

The Sky is Falling

It sounded bad. He apparently went down twice today, and that was just too much with the injuries he already had. He looks like he's been through a meat grinder.

dfcas

7/9/14 11:38 AM

The madness of not bringing Wiggins to the tour rears it's head.

Sparky

7/9/14 2:52 PM

"not bringing Wiggins"

Truly...

Going to be a nasty laundry day... Although with so many spills, the circular file method may take precedence.

That was a freaking cross race. Nibali rocked the cobbles big time...

KerryIrons

7/9/14 7:04 PM

Grinder

quote:
He looks like he's been through a meat grinder.

I told my wife that he looked like he'd been tossed into a cement mixer and given a few tumbles. During the post-race interview with Cancellara they had a "crash reel" and people were falling all over the place - sliding out on roundabouts, hitting big puddles, hitting spectators when the riders ran off the road. It was nasty. Amazing that Nibali was able to avoid all that and stay so far ahead of everyone.

Reply to topic    

LeeW

7/10/14 6:09 AM

brakes

When Cancellara was sitting at the desk, post race, with Bobke and Christian, he seemed to hint he thought part of the issue was with brake performance in the wet. IOW, feather the brake lever and the bike does not slow down for several seconds (while excess water gets squeegeed from the brake surface), so perhaps the rider presses the lever harder and suddenly the braking action kicks in and breaks tenuous traction and then the bike tires start skidding. I wonder if wet braking is a bigger problem now that many are riding carbon rims?

Back when I was racing duathlons (a few years back), I rode several different makes of carbon aero wheels (Corima and Zipp) and recall how poor brake performance was when carbon rims of the mid last decade got wet. I'm guessing the manufacturers must have improved this deficiency with carbon rims and also with pad compounds, but really don't know.

Anyone riding a recent model carbon rim on this forum that could comment?

Reply to topic    

rickhardy
Location: Needham outside of Boston - the hub of the universe

7/10/14 7:38 AM

Yesterday

Today's front cover of L'Equipe.

Reply to topic    

greglepore

7/10/14 8:17 AM

Carbon rims brake better than previously but still not great in the wet. The relative lack of modulation is magnified. Of course alu brakes differently in the wet than the dry too.

Larger issue appeared to be the amount of oil on the roads, roundabouts, apint on the roads-crosswalks etc. and the pace-Cannondale at the front punching it, two or three guys wide, and then the peloton having to go thru the same corners 4-6 wide and not having the lines. The rims may have something to do with it, as they did in the wet stages of the Giro, but the road conditions appeared to play a greater role. The overall speeds yesterday were ridiculous, a 40 kph avg with the tailwind.

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -