HOMECLUBS | SPONSORS | FEATURESPHOTO GALLERYTTF DONORS | SHOP FOR GEAR

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

walter found his gravel-grinder
 Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
Sparky

7/10/14 6:41 PM

Deliberating ?? ;) How do it feel, ride, stop, handle et al?

BTW, 19.9lb. Not bad for a disc XL bike at all! But she will pork up when you put off-piste rubber on...

Looks great! Enjoy?

BTW, check this out: http://velodirt.com/rides/

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

walter

7/12/14 11:25 AM

disc brakes: over the hump

for a while there i was thinking "gee, these BB7s suck"...but i stuck with it and got 'em dialed in, feeling firm at the lever the way i like. they're just really sensitive to having even the tiniest bit of slack in the system dialed out. with the cable tension optimized, now i can actually dial the pads away from the rotors a bit and still have great firmness at the lever and no risk of the lever coming to the bar.

did my first proper gravel-grinder ride today on rough wash-board "strade bianche" roads -- well here in SE michigan they're more "strade marrone"... the 28 section tires, long chainstays, long front-end, old-school "soft" rims all add up to definitely make a difference for comfort . i think i want a little wider profile where rubber meets the road...not sure if i should get 32s on these rims, or run the 28 tires with wider 23mm rims, or both. but these are good for now.

sanrensho

7/13/14 1:48 AM

I run Shimano BR-505 brakes on my Dirty Disco. What I notice most is how great they feel after spending some time on my main road bike. Smooth and progressive.

Reply to topic    

walter

7/27/14 5:05 PM

updated build

those old sun rims just couldnt deal with all the dish and tension of a modern disc build, so i went with h-plus-son archetypes. also fitted up the ST panel to complete the visual side of things. lovin the 23mm wide rims with phat 28mm rubber...70psi the ride is smoove! :-)

Sparky

7/27/14 6:02 PM

Are those rims as much coin as the Hed Belgiums?

Which Vitts did you use again ??

The 27mm Pave GCs settled out at 27.4mm on the A23s. I think I said that some place already. I thought they would be more bulbous, but glad they are not. As they still do fast very well. I think the 25 Axials would be super cushy on that bike. ;) They are like 29.2 on wide rims.

walter

7/27/14 7:08 PM

archetypes

i got 'em for $65/ea....something like half the price of C2s. now have both, they're very similar designs.

tyres are 28 vittoria rubino pro tech -- they're nice for this niche, good value. still pretty light and fast.

Sparky

7/27/14 7:14 PM

"i got 'em for $65/ea....something like half the price of C2s"

Mind sharing the source ? ;)

walter

7/27/14 8:02 PM

bikehubstore.com

1-man shop started up in his garage about 2 years ago. Great prices, great cust-svc...I get pretty much all my wheelgoods from Brandon!

Sparky

7/28/14 9:49 AM

Thanks

What is the BB drop on that frame Walter??

Saw this, here you go, $39.00 [sale]

http://www.pricepoint.com/Brand/83-Sportswear/83-Sportswear-Lion-Crest-Short-Sleeve-Jersey.axd

Sparky

7/28/14 10:53 AM

FWIW, danscomp.com sells the Sapim race for 1/2 the price of bikehubstore and often has a free shipping code on the front page. Theyinclude a nipple with each spoke as well.

The Lasers I got from danscomp for the NDS of the wheel I put the rear HED rim I got from you cost the same as the Race at BHStore, again FWIW. I used Race on the drive side.

Since finding $0.40 race @ Danscomp, I have a lot of wheels rebuilt with them and A23s mostly. yada...

They do cut them to length, so the butt lengths can differ, so watch/ask for that of you buy from them. Also, they will by default send 15mm nips, but on request send 12mm [also brass] for no extra cost.

walter

7/28/14 11:00 AM

BB drop

68mm ±02mm

full geo chart <a href="http://brown-snout.com/cycling/bikes/chinaman_grinder-ac024/geometry_024-58.jpg">here</a>

Sparky

7/28/14 11:09 AM

So how do you like the longer WB, CS and Front Center as compared to your road bikes? And how is the stiffness/power transfer etc.

Bike looks great, like it the more I look at it. ;)

I did a 37 mile ride last week on my 29er with 32C road tires. I was pretty pooped, like doing 80 on the Scott or Roubaix. ;)

But chance of rain, and some wet spots from rain over night I wanted to take the disc bike. It is my only disc truck.... er.. bike

walter

7/28/14 11:24 AM

i like the ride. plenty stuff for my needs and my modest power-output. all the tube profiles are pretty freakin massive.

on paper the TT is on the short end of my preference, but it has a steep STA which more than compensates.

longer front-center is fine, as it balances with the longer rear triangle. it's nice-riding and well balanced, i've ridden it when mixing in with the local tuesday-night worlds training ride and it worked a treat!

Sparky

7/28/14 12:14 PM

Doesn't it technically have too many gears to be a Tribute to MajTaylor ? ;) Couldn't resist...

That is the largest size in that frame, yes? What stem length did you steel on??

I would have tried out the Poprad disc I had briefly on a road/group ride if it was the next bigger size. would have kept it probably. It was here for a short time as a result.

I still find it funny Lemond charting indicated it was for up to a 6'2" rider. It was significantly to the small side for me @ 6' I felt. Even with long stays WB and FrCtr as a CX Geom. To the point I did not even try to put a 140 stem on it and attempt it really. Just traded it off...

If I do it again, it will be a powder coated steel disc unit perhaps, once I get ready to loose the TCX. Which will be a while, at least that's my position as I type this.;)

walter

7/28/14 1:02 PM

saddle has 9cm setback and 59.5cm reach to bars. ended up with a 120 stem (10mm shorter than "normal") -- that's how much that steep STA compensates for the short-ish TT.

Sparky

7/28/14 1:39 PM

Is that the same setback you do on the go fast bikes?

walter

7/28/14 1:45 PM

yep. since the bulk of my riding itself is road-centric, positions on all my bikes are identical.

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  
Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -