HOMECLUBS | SPONSORS | FEATURESPHOTO GALLERYTTF DONORS | SHOP FOR GEAR

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

salt tablets

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
Chris Klaren

6/20/14 4:20 PM

salt tablets

Picking up from the cramp thread, what salt or special anti-cramp tablets do other people use? I cramp up easily (sweat hog) and am looking for something that replaces key electrolytes that the sweat takes with it. Thanks.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

6/20/14 6:17 PM

CalMag tablets, and just little stashes of salt for me.

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

sanrensho

6/20/14 6:53 PM

I'm not convinced about the link between salt and cramping. The research is not conclusive.

I started adding electrolyte tablets/powder to my water years ago, in an effort to address occasional cramping. I still cramp occasionally, and it always happens during extra-hard efforts or when I am pushing my limits. So I associate cramping with muscle fatigue.

This is of course what I've observed personally. I still use the electrolyte tabs as a precaution and because the taste makes me drink more without tasting sickly sweet. I also get salt from riding food (bars/gels).

A lot of ultra runners like to use S Caps.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

6/20/14 6:59 PM

Salt has bailed me when I have had a quad or hammie cramp that would not just quit. These were fatigue induced, not like the early glute cramp I posted about.

About a month ago @ about mile 5# something, total Hammie crap. I stopped at a store and got peanuts and added 1-2 teaspoons of salt. With in 3-4 miles I could pedal pretty fast actually. And in fact the last 12 miles [was a metric] I flew like I could not believe.

So for me, salt as an after the fact fix works. With the glute crap I decied to eat/chew up two CalMags and wash them down with CitoMax. I had salt, but wanted to try the Calmag as a fix. And it worked quickly also.

Last edited by Sparky on 6/20/14 7:19 PM; edited 1 time in total

sanrensho

6/20/14 7:14 PM

Interesting. I was thinking of trying out the S Caps for running, since I typically take in less food/gels/drink compared with the bike.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

6/20/14 7:39 PM

S Caps. just look up the ingredients and a duplicate generic for 1/10th the cost.

dfcas

6/21/14 3:00 PM

Many years ago I was taken to the hospital after a ride where I lost all power and had a very high heart rate. They thought I had a "cardiac event" but EKG was normal. In the bloodwork they found I had low sodium.

My doctor at the time did tri's and suggested a product called "THermotabs".

I had to order them from a pharmacy but they were cheap and combined sodium and potassium. Note that I've never cramped.

Being diabetic, he thought maybe I peed off the sodium with a high blood sugar.

I no longer take them as I don't ride far and hard in the heat these days. I avoid it...

sandiway

6/21/14 3:34 PM

they all work

They all work. I've used these and others...

http://www.hammernutrition.com/products/endurolytes.elt.html

Sandiway

Reply to topic    

KerryIrons

6/21/14 7:27 PM

Table salt

There's absolutely nothing magic in the commercial products that you can't get by mixing table salt and "lite" salt - gives you sodium and potassium. Throw in some antacid tables for calcium and that's about it. Trace minerals (Mg, Se, etc.) can be obtained in your diet.

On long rides, I add about 1/3 tsp. of table salt and about 1/4 tsp of lite salt to my food bags. Works for me.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

6/21/14 7:55 PM

So how much is too much, especially with the potassium?

Evan Marks

6/21/14 8:09 PM

Magnesium is often overlooked.

You can get it from your diet if you're not already deficient from sweating out your body stores of it over the years. Take a supplement, and note that sports drinks really don't have much magnesium (or potassium) to speak of. I take Slow-Mag (over the counter) _every_day_ , and eat a banana for potassium before every ride. That works for me. Your electrolyte deficiencies may vary.

Potassium OD? Not likely --
http://thebananagirl.com/potassium-overdose-on-30-bananas-a-day-2.php

Reply to topic    

rickhardy
Location: Needham outside of Boston - the hub of the universe

6/23/14 6:58 AM

Succeed

In my marathon days if a marathon was over 60 degrees I knew I was going to have problems and would often come down with Hyponatremia. I would be nauseous for some time after a warm marathon, my last marathon in 70 degree weather resulted in my needing 2 2 liter bags of saline (still had good times though ;)

My ultra marathon friends who regularly did the Vermont 100 recommended Succeed caps. I tried them and could run, ride, race in temps up to 90 degrees and humid conditions...
Combined electrolytes and a buffer to prevent nausea which is common in ultra events...

http://www.succeedscaps.com/products/s_caps/

Reply to topic    

dan emery

6/23/14 8:48 AM

Are we having fun yet?

>>my last marathon in 70 degree weather resulted in my needing 2 2 liter bags of saline (still had good times though ;)<<

Good times for sure!

Reply to topic    

Sparky

6/23/14 7:15 PM

81^ today, I managed 75 miles and strong to the end.
If not for the cal/mags and some some sea salt I doubt that last 10 miles would have averages 16MPH.

Still want to get some Morton's Salt Light which is 1/3 salt and 2/3 potassium chloride for my med kit on the bike.

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -