Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

Way cool OWL sighting on ride

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
Sparky

6/11/14 5:33 PM

Way cool OWL sighting on ride

Wish I had a GoPro VID to share, sorry.

We went into a canopy covered area at the top of a climb I decided to make an interval out of, so I was the only one to see it. The guy behind me was 10 seconds maybe, I slowed and said "see that?!" He said see what? ;)

An owl with a snake in it clutches flying across the path @ about 15' off the ground and same distance in front of me. Snake was dangling down from it's feet, not too big a snake, maybe just over foot.

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

KerryIrons

6/11/14 7:17 PM

Hawk & mouse

We were out on a ride with our kids several years ago and saw a hawk perched on top of a power pole. As we got close the hawk took off, headed straight for the ground and came up with a mouse in its talons. Most impressive.

Reply to topic    

JohnC

6/12/14 11:33 AM

I love those Animal Planet moments. Couple years ago on my commute I passed a fledgling bird (robin, I think) that was struggling to get out of the street, as it couldn't fly well enough to get up the high curb. After I passed, I decided to go back and give it a boost. As I turned around and started back a little hawk (sharp-shinned or Cooper's, probably) swooped down from across the street and flew off to dine.

robertsos

6/13/14 11:19 AM

Saw a sharp-shinned in our backyard last winter dining on a pigeon.

I suppose the abundance of prey and general lack of other apex predators has made for a nice niche for raptors in urban environments. We could use more of them based on the neighborhood population of rabbits, squirrels, and cats.

Reply to topic    

JohnC

6/13/14 7:43 PM

That does seem to be true, Robert. In downtown Hartford, where I work, there are Peregrine falcons that nest on the ledges of the high buildings. I see them frequently, sometimes perched a high cornice of the building across the street from my office, feathers fluttering down as they rip a pigeon apart. I never see them at full speed in this confined environment, but occasionally one goes by at about 1/3 throttle, 60-70 mph.

This raptor resurgence has taken place since DDT was phased out, of course.

LeeW

6/16/14 5:40 AM

Squirrels are generally very difficult prey for a raptor and only a small percentage tend to get picked off that way. The unpredictable, darting, zig-zag movements by a squirrel make it difficult for a raptor in a high speed dive to lead and time their strike and make last second adjustments to the flight path.

I'd love to know whether that darting behavior was innate or learned.

Reply to topic    

robertsos

6/16/14 7:42 AM

I've noticed that darting behavior in a variety of prey animals. For example, the neighborhood rabbits do it, too. That similar 'flight' response to being chased has developed in different species may be indicative of it's effectiveness.

Well, since the raptors are not doing a good job of controlling the rabbit population and my wife just read about tularemia, often carried by rabbits, in the NYT Magazine on Sunday, I may get authorized to intervene more directly. Although a dog might be easier.

A neighbor, who dislikes squirrels in particular, traps them and deports them to Minneapolis.

Reply to topic    

Andy M-S

6/16/14 8:30 AM

Wabbits

quote:
A neighbor, who dislikes squirrels in particular, traps them and deports them to Minneapolis.

Similarly, my parents, who live on French Island just outside La Crosse, WI, and whose garden has been the subject of furry depredations, use a "humane" trap bated with apple, and then take the bunnies for a "ride across the river" to Minnesota.

LeeW

6/16/14 9:51 AM

Dumping the bunnies near Winona, aye? (I have relatives who live across the river from LaCrosse;-).

By contrast, my parents used to have a condo in FL where they fled for 3 months to escape New England winters. I visited them once and we all went out for a walk in the condo complex and saw this momma duck leading a brood of 8 tiny babies who were all marching in a straight line behind her. As we watched them heading for the pond, a hawk dove down and flew off with the last baby in the line. Then there were 7 and momma duck never knew what hit her. By the time I returned home, the brood was down to 5. It was amazing what easy prey they were for a hawk in a high speed dive when they walked slowly in a predictable line.

The squirrels may have an advantage versus diving raptors, but that same behavior makes them vulnerable to cars when they dart around the roadside in the Fall.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

6/16/14 10:18 AM

There are some hawks behind my house. And lately crows have been liking my yard. But the hawks, as much and I would like it, don't scare off the crows. I guess they are after small non flying prey in the hills behind the property.

Sparky

6/16/14 10:54 AM

there was just 5-6 up in the sky behind the house. I need to get a camera. My cell on full zoom is not the right tool for the task. And my digi camera is defunct and just anyway.

What is a good digi camera for not too too much coin for such picture taking?

Andy M-S

6/16/14 11:18 AM

Location, location, location

quote:
Dumping the bunnies near Winona, aye? (I have relatives who live across the river from LaCrosse;-).

La Crescent, actually. Though they may migrate to Winona at some point :-)

BTW, did you know that Norwalk, WI, is the Black Squirrel Capitol of the World?

Sparky

6/16/14 12:29 PM

I never heard of a black squirrel, just red ones and grey ones.

When we first got the Greyhounds Elaine was walking the brute. She did not notice the squirrel as she went pass one of the many trees between the sidewalk and curb. Benelli did, and grabbed it. She had to tell him to drop it and watched it rocket up the tree like it had a purpose. I would have loved to have witnessed this... ;)

Andy M-S

6/16/14 1:21 PM

Squirrel Noir

See also: http://www.villageofnorwalk.com/

Pat Clancy

6/16/14 2:31 PM

Hawks and crows

You don't often see hawks and crows sharing the same airspace. The crows will mob a hawk, driving it away.

Sparky

6/16/14 3:01 PM

The 'crows' are low and forward in the trees to my yard. The raptors are up field and way higher in the air as far as sharing the same space, I dunno.

I am wondering if they are actually crows, because no crow sounds at all. Maybe ravens??

I just googled how to tell the difference and will pay attention when I see them again.

We are way out so no urban crows out here, and the ones we do see are out by the main road for the road kill. So it makes more sense these are Ravens the more thought I give to it.

PLee

6/16/14 3:22 PM

Ravens? Don't they sit around saying "nevermore"?

Reply to topic    

Sparky

6/16/14 3:32 PM

They must be speaking under their breath... ;O

JohnC

6/16/14 7:11 PM

Ravens and crows.

They could be ravens. Pretty common in Pacific northwest. It's easy to tell them apart with some experience, and side by side the size difference is obvious. But if you're not familiar, it can be more difficult. Sitting still the best clue is the beak shape. Raven upper beak is more curved, giving that hooked appearance.

But if you can see them flying, there's a behavioral trait that's a dead giveaway. Ravens soar, crows don't. If you see a big black bird glide for more than a second or two, it's a raven, not a crow.

Sparky

6/16/14 7:20 PM

Definitely saw them gliding, and now cawing. So I am pretty convinced they are Ravens. Also saw a tan bird right next to one earlier, a Thrush maybe?

JohnC

6/17/14 9:19 AM

A raven's call, compared to a crow's, is usually lower and more gutteral, more of a croak than a caw. They make a greater variety of sounds too.

They're entertaining birds. Inquisitive and intelligent like crows, but more acrobatic flyers, and the goofy sounds can be interesting. It's quite understandable that Poe imagined one croaking "nevermore" over and over again.

Andy M-S

6/17/14 10:14 AM

And on that note...

May I please recommend Maddy Prior's Ravenchild?

http://www.amazon.com/Ravenchild-Maddy-Prior/dp/B00000JO9V#

JohnC

6/17/14 1:48 PM

And about the black squirrels . . .

They're the same species as the gray ones, just an unusual color variation. there are populations here and there. When I lived in Northwest D.C. there were a couple of small parks where most of the squirrels were black.

I only trap squirrels that gnaw through the eaves boards and take up residence in my attic. The first few times I did it I released them in parks in town a couple of miles away, but they found their way back. Now I drive them over the bridge over the Connecticut River. Welcome to Wethersfield, Mr. Squirrel.

Last winter during one of the many cold snaps, I had to leave one outside in the trap for several hours before I could get rid of it. When I opened the trap it ran under the car and up into the engine compartment looking for warmth, and I couldn't see where it was or get it to leave. When it finally quieted down I figured it had left without my noticing, but when I got home it was still squeaking in there. I never did see it come out, but I think I trapped it in the attic again a couple of weeks later.

The damn things are bloody persistent. I've thought about looking up some recipes . . .

Sparky

6/17/14 2:53 PM

I have had two roof squirrel bouts in two different houses. In NJ, a baby made it's way down the balloon framing to the basement. The Mommy went looking for it and that is when the fun began. The dog found it before the Momma rodent did, is way a wacky day in the house. The kids where young at the time and just loved the anarchy. ;O

But the task of getting then all out and securing a return entry lingered for a few weeks, them winning until the end.

When getting house in TN ready to put on the market when we left for PDX, we got both birds and a squirrel in the last weeks. Just good timing. The birds I had to open the eve and oust. The Squirrel I also ousted quickly, only to realize a week later she had babies in deeper. I had to open up the wall inside to remover the stinking dead critters.

It was during remodeling and that was the tool material room, but the stick got bad for tiny little bodies. I assume the smaller dead one was dead longer, and the second larger and more recently deceased not even with the 'rig-of-mortise' set in yet [I was installing doors ;)]. I can not imagine when it got to adding it's diStinckTive odor to the olfactory delight quite yet what might have followed.

All way much more fun that I needed at the time(s).

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -