Quack! CoapmansMonster

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

dfcas

6/7/14 2:18 PM

Looks heavy:)

PLee

6/7/14 3:21 PM

Hm-m-m - maybe a dualie mountain bike with really wide tires, but what's all that other crap hanging off of that wild ass frame? ;-)

Reply to topic    

Sparky

6/7/14 7:57 PM

Under 400lb dry. Looks like a naked sport bike to me...

dddd

6/8/14 12:28 AM

That's one tricked-out Pantah there.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

6/8/14 3:32 PM

The more I see the pic the more I like it. ;)

Reminds me of the Buell, but not so contemporary looking style wise. Which I like better than the Buell frankly.

dddd

6/8/14 11:09 PM

So I guess it was either this or the hi-po espresso machine, and the 2-wheeler won out.
They both accomplish the same thing to an extent I suppose, but where this steroid-addled Pantah is highly mobile, the espresso machine is stationary, and must always be located within a short walking distance of a bathroom.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

6/8/14 11:19 PM

"either this or the hi-po espresso machine"

With Rob, I am betting one of each. ;)

dan emery

6/9/14 5:51 AM

Ducati, Espresso

This is like a mid-life Breaking Away...

Reply to topic    

Andy M-S

6/9/14 6:01 AM

looks like a Moulton

Look at that space frame!

dddd

6/9/14 10:03 AM

Ahh, that frame!

These new-gen Ducatis (new as in post-1978) took the minimalist approach to frame structure, using the engine as the aft half of the frame, to which is directly bolted the seat sub-frame structure and the swingarm suspension pivot.

I can't say that they were the first to do this, but the architechture of the 1979 re-design survives to this day, and has been variously borrowed upon in the design of their competitors motorcycles.
The engine's 90-degree vee configuration lends enough inherent smoothness so as not to need any balancer shaft or rubber mounting, further keeping the overall weight and "effective crankshaft mass" low.

So, with short wheelbase, low (and centralized) mass and snappy engine, the preferred ride of motorcycle stunting hooligans world-wide.
And of course Ducati has many world championships to their credit using this very platform, which visually shows best in this popular, un-faired "Il Monstro" version.

Reply to topic    

Pat Clancy

6/9/14 3:56 PM

Is it, like, Italian?

I could never own a Ducati. I can't pronounce "desmodromic".

Sparky

6/9/14 4:01 PM

Itey bike! And it isn't even a ini name... ;)

"I can't say that they were the first to do this"

My 82 XV920R is same, engine as stressed member. I had CBX Honda 6 CYC, same too. So far from 1st...
I believe the Buell was also same design, the 2003 I had.

greglepore

6/9/14 5:54 PM

Watch the espresso and Ducati combo, broke my freakin neck.

Just sayin.

As for stressed members, give me a Black Lightning.

RCoapman

6/9/14 10:53 PM

She's a lively, responsive girl I'll say that. She's ~390dry, 87Hp, and I've had her up to 98mph so far and I've never been farther up the gears than 3rd....no idea what the top end really is. Got a ticket on my suzuki a few weeks ago (he clocked me at 88 but I was doing 120 when I saw him) so I'm being a good boy for a while. The Ducati is super torquey on the low-end, it's SOP to drop the front gear down a tooth to 14t to help with the low end awkwardness. It's kind of heresy but I'm not a fan of the Pirelli tyes that come with it....going back to Michelin Pilot Roads.

At least now I have a bike to match my helmet- http://www.araiamericas.com/default.aspx?pageid=57#/helmets/moto/rx-q/graphic/italy-flag

And yeah, the espresso machine got put on hold for a bit...but not forever

Reply to topic    

Sparky

6/10/14 6:38 AM

"so I'm being a good boy for a while. "

On he duc, right...

greglepore

6/10/14 6:51 AM

Its not the motor that's awkward, its Ducati's insistence on using that super low 1st gear. You'll like the 14, and the carbon clutch cover and brake levers and hugger and all the other stuff you can now buy.

I really preferred the 2 valve motor's power band to the fancier Testastretta motor's. Its just such an easy and forgiving powertrain. Enjoy.

Sparky

6/10/14 8:25 AM

Does the DUC have ABS? I always thought on the Buell it probably would be a good idea. An over reaction squeeze would have easily locked up the front on that beast. To the point that I would not let anyone ride it unless I knew they had a ton of sport bike miles under their belt.

It was a pinky level event to stop, unless you were serious and then a two finger event. It stopped well to the extreme IMO. So much so that I was constantly doing slight nose wheelies, and made using the rear brake near useless pretty much. The rear wheel was always so light upon braking it would skid/slid easily.

Compared to the 84 Eddy Lawson Replica, which I had to spend a ton of coin on the brakes... Which still did not stop anything near the Buells power.

RCoapman

6/10/14 4:27 PM

>Does the DUC have ABS?

YES! Not had to engage it yet but I'm sure I'll be glad it's there if I do!

Reply to topic    

Paul Datars

6/11/14 1:12 PM

Hmmmm, and all I got to talk about is a new S5 and a new P5...but I'll go on over to the cyclingforum to do that, oh wait...

Regardless, cool bike although I still prefer Jap Crap...that said there's one very surprised GSX-R1000 rider around here because he got his doors blown off by my 4 door Caddy last night. There's nothing like a 900hp sleeper to humiliate these youngsters!

RCoapman

6/11/14 1:23 PM

Hmmm....have to wonder if the guy just didn't know how to ride the bike well. Not denying the snappiness of your Caddy...but power to weight and all that....GXRs are usually pretty damned fast out of the gate...

Reply to topic    

Andy M-S

6/11/14 1:24 PM

Paul:

The GSX-R1000 ain't go no doors.

Paul Datars

6/11/14 2:01 PM

My Caddy will run a high nine at 140 and has very good power to aero such that in a half mile event it'll beat a modified Busa, so even a good rider wont help much. From a standing start a crotch rocket would have some chance, from a rolling start with some higher speeds like I did last night, any stock bike doesn't stand a chance...it's really pretty funny.

Of course it's really not a fair comparison, a heavily modified car to a stock motorcycle...but then the motorcycle can't carry 2 bicycles a wife, a cat and everything else needed for a 7 week vacation to the Catskills.

RCoapman

6/11/14 7:43 PM

"My Caddy will run a high nine at 140 and has very good power to aero such that in a half mile event it'll beat a modified Busa"

Dayum, son....

Reply to topic    

bikerjohnpostal

6/12/14 9:49 PM

High 9'S????

Wow, do tell the deets on this car!

Reply to topic    

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -