HOMECLUBS | SPONSORS | FEATURESPHOTO GALLERYTTF DONORS | SHOP FOR GEAR

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

Bridgestone Rolling

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
Sparky

5/28/14 10:19 PM

Bridgestone Rolling

It rides even better than I remember, like when you wash your car it feels newer? ;)

Cables under the tape for the bar cons, 10 speed chain as discussed in another thread shifts nice with the 9 speed. Need to get some pedals on and take it for a real ride now... 24.6 lb as pictured.

Very happy with the look of it.

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

dddd

5/28/14 11:59 PM

These old Bridgestones were solid framesets, almost regret selling my 56cm 400.

Yours definitely has a custom look to it, almost what I would call an "acid gold", and it seems to glow under your lighting conditions.

I would not be surprised if the 10s chain finds an occasional false neutral with that old crankset, but it might actually work ok.

Will you not be using clipless cleated pedals on this one?

Reply to topic    

Brian Nystrom

5/29/14 5:38 AM

Why a 10-speed chain...

...when 9-speed chains are still widely available? Was it just something you had on-hand?

Reply to topic    

Dave B

5/29/14 9:55 AM

quote:
These old Bridgestones were solid framesets, almost regret selling my 56cm 400.

What year was your 400? My '85 and my brother's '86 were both specified as "inch" frame sizes. Ours were both listed as 23".

Sparky

5/29/14 10:22 AM

Yeah, clipless will go on for sure. The front shifting seem OK so far. I did have that happen in the front when I went 9 speed with Dura Ace 8 Speed. The chain would occasionally float in between the rings once in a while.

This one is a 24" I think it is an 1985. I agree these are nice frames, Panasonic factory. A lot of nice bikes came out of there in the period, what a decade?

The main frame is triple butted 4130, I know the fork is HiTen. The rear stays maybe HiTen or just non butted 4130, dunno.

They are a sit on all day bike pretty much, longer WB and ChainStays and 72.5^ HTA in this size.

greglepore

5/29/14 7:15 PM

Bike looks great, but the stem and saddle look funky wrong...just one man's worthless comment.

Sparky

5/29/14 7:58 PM

Think of a re-purposed modern daily use rather than retro correct. Same as my Paramount for example with 10 speed indexed rear shifting. As in 20 speed. ;)

Dave B

5/29/14 8:03 PM

Catalog

quote:
This one is a 24" I think it is an 1985. I agree these are nice frames, Panasonic factory. A lot of nice bikes came out of there in the period, what a decade?

The main frame is triple butted 4130, I know the fork is HiTen. The rear stays maybe HiTen or just non butted 4130, dunno.

I still have the Bridgestone catalog pages for the 400 from 1985. The frame came in 19",21",23",25" and 27" sizes and the main tubes were butted Cr-Mo with a Hi-Ten fork as you noted. The stays are lumped in the same description paragraph as the frame but their material isn't clear.

I can scan and e-mail you the appropriate pages. PM me if you want them at djbhomeATverizonDOTnet

Sparky

5/29/14 8:24 PM

Yeah I have the catalog too, Thanks.

Correction, mine is a 25"

"when 9-speed chains are still widely available? Was it just something you had on-hand?"

Yeah, no 9 speed chains around not on something already. I just ordered two SRAM 971s. One for the Bridgestone and one for the Colnago.

I rode the Nago for a 40 miler today with 8 Speed the Record ERGOs I popped on with the original chain. I don't know if the Victory was 5 or 6, as I did not get it with wheels back in the 90s. But the original chain was less finicky that I expected. ;) And I managed to toll along even when the pace got 22-3 sustained for a while. That frame is a good performer. Not ridden it in so long I forgot.

Gotta say the ERGOs are comfortable, and when my feeble mind was not grabbing the wrong shiffty thingies, I managed not to be too embarrassed on a group ride. ;)

Sparky

5/31/14 1:01 AM

I tossed on some left over bar tape on the Nago. Just to ride it. New tape in the box I have is green, blue, red, and black. Not really nut about any of that, maybe the black due to the ERGO black hoods?

What tape should I put on her? I was thinking maybe a while or grey? A vinyl shinny tape maybe? I have a black seat post I will be putting on, and I would like some tan sidewall tires to get it period correct looking.

So ideas on bar tape appreciated.

Andy M-S

5/31/14 5:10 AM

the marble is fine

A black post will be good, but I do like the marble tape--which might even be period correct. ISTRC lots of that around the time of 8s Ergo.[/list]

dan emery

5/31/14 1:43 PM

White

Scroll down:

http://www.bikeraceinfo.com/photo-galleries/rider-gallery/saronni-giuseppe.html

Of course keeping it clean is your problem...

Reply to topic    

Sparky

5/31/14 5:18 PM

"Of course keeping it clean is your problem."

True, white on the Tandem is enough white already. ;)

I ordered Fizik Bar Tape Microtex black with gray logo, for a sorta stripe effect, greyish look. The cables housings are light grey.

dddd

6/2/14 10:50 AM

I recently stocked up on a foam-padded leatherette (vinyl/naugahide) tape from Tree Fort Bikes online.

http://www.treefortbikes.com/#navbar=pro___333222349834___176

Completely washable, yet nicely padded with tapered edges. I bought both the black and white versions.

Reply to topic    

KerryIrons

6/2/14 7:26 PM

Dead naugas

How many naugas had to die so you could have that bar tape?

Reply to topic    

Andy M-S

6/2/14 7:35 PM

Shhh!

Those Naugas come from Naugatuck, just up the road from here! They're very sensitive.

In case you think I'm kidding, I ain't. There's a stuffed one on display in the Waterbury Museum.

Sparky

6/5/14 8:18 AM

971 Sachs chain on the Nago shifts like butter....

Like Butta...

Got two and put the other on the Bridgestone, which is 9 speed. Shifts Like butta.

Fun Fact: [well maybe a fact]
I experimented with a longer cable rear loop/housing. Theory being due to the longer front cable housing with putting the cable under the tape ala Campy smoothing action out. It does seems to help it be a bit smoother than the usual 12" loop Shimano suggests IIRC.

dddd

6/6/14 10:55 PM

Wow, the ever-elusive nauga.

Still looking to get a glimpse of the elusive canola, which I've heard grows on a tree actually.

Ahhh, 9-speed chains on old bikes. If only we had chains like this back in the day when we were all friction-shifting, ...sigh.

Reply to topic    

Andy M-S

6/7/14 3:28 AM

canolas

You see fields of them (the blossoms) in Canada, but they hide their true identity--canola is closely related to rapeseed.

Seriously, fields of these beautiful yellow blossoms.

Sparky

6/7/14 10:36 AM

Well, not being Giuseppe Saroni, I went with basic black on the Nago. ;)

Although I thought about the white seat and white bar tape for a minute. ;) Having both laying about.

I did put the clear Cinelli over the top, so it is totally not vintage compliant. ;)

Rode the Scott for the first time in a bunch of rides yesterday. It speaks for itself compared to all the other bikes. I am always a few gear higher on that plastic bike. I even forgot I was in the big ring yesterday and got reminded the chain was a few links short. [I'll fix that later mentality, bad Bob]

Remedied when I got home. I could-a busted my plastic bike, Oops...

Sparky

6/9/14 4:13 PM

Took the Bridgestone on a 30 mile club ride this morning. Then I did 24 down and back to see if the Navy boats left the river front, they had. Fleet week downtown, Navy and Coast Guard showing off their wares.

That saddle being new and leather got a bit hard. Although now an hour off the bike I feel no residual...

Sat Elaine and I went to the waterfront and waited on line for what seemed like a day for a tour of a Guided-missle Destroyer, the USS Spruance.

Here is a link with the run down of ships if interested:

http://www.oregonlive.com/rosefest/index.ssf/2014/06/fleet_week_cheat_sheet_a_rundo.html

Almost as neat as 1976 when I lived 1/2 mile south of the George Washy Bridge for the Bi-Centenial and the huge boats then. Except we got to go on one this time. ;)

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -